Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help please! Corrupted OS and recovery partition after failed Win10 upgrade

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    We should have told you to skip the product key entry. It should allow you to continue. It will then register with servers and you should be good to go.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    ...So I'm now wondering if I selected the wrong windows ISO from the windows media creation tool. I selected 8.1 (not pro) but perhaps I needed 8.1N or Single Language...Are there any ways to determine which edition my key is for? Or some config file or reg setting I can tweak to make the installation think it's a different edition?
    It's a "special" version of 8.1, called 8.1 with Bing.
    What Exactly Is ?Windows 8.1 with Bing?? Do I Have to Use Bing?

Why not perform a clean install of Win10 from a USB flash drive?
    Get the iso download here & use Rufus to burn a bootable flash drive.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench
    Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    We should have told you to skip the product key entry. It should allow you to continue. It will then register with servers and you should be good to go.
    I did skip the key entry, but it did not automatically activate the licence from firmware. Unless I misunderstand the "slmgr" output. It says it's in a "notification" state and using a default key.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Scientist View Post
    It's a "special" version of 8.1, called 8.1 with Bing.
    Ah! Is that what it is? I had read up on that already, but had dismissed it as the version that came on the T100 originally. So, if I want my system back working with Windows 8.1, my only option is to find a "with Bing" ISO. Would you agree? Because no other edition will activate with the embedded key.

Why not perform a clean install of Win10 from a USB flash drive?
    I may yet go down that path, but given that Windows 10 was responsible for screwing the system in the first place, I just felt I needed to get it back "how it was" before it all went wrong. If I can achieve that, I may just backup the drive image and try Windows 10 again, knowing I can switch back if necessary. If recovering Windows 8.1 is impossible due to the "Bing" factor, then I'll go direct to the 10 solution. Thanks for the links.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    using ShowKeyPlus:

Windows Product Key Information
    Product Name: Windows 8.1
    Product ID: 00259-60600-00001-AA736
    Installed Key: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    OEM Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-33VTR (redacted)
    OEM Edition: Win 8.1 RTM CoreConnected OEM:DM

CoreConnected is "with Bing"... so Rocket_Scientist's info is confirmed.
    Now that I know that, I'm finding a lot of posts on help forums with similar problems and no solutions other than acquiring ISO from somewhere.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
    1. So, if I want my system back working with Windows 8.1, my only option is to find a "with Bing" ISO. Would you agree? Because no other edition will activate with the embedded key.
    2. I may just backup the drive image and try Windows 10 again, knowing I can switch back if necessary.
    3. If recovering Windows 8.1 is impossible due to the "Bing" factor, then I'll go direct to the 10 solution...
    1. Yes. However, Win10 will activate even if the eMMC drive (disk drive) were blank.
    2. That's what I recommend. Wipe the drive & start over with Win10 & the T100 drivers for your model.
    3. Your only option is download Windows 8.1 with Bing from torrent. There are no official downloads from Microsoft.

BTW, I've installed Win10 on 10 different computers (5 are mine). It didn't always go as planned. One HP Win7 laptop would not upgrade, had to do clean install. Did all from USB bootable flash drives (32-bit & 64-bit). The flash drive can be run from within Windows or booted from, depending on whether upgrading or clean install.
    Last edited by Rocket_Scientist; 05-08-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

On a side note - I noticed that my recovery partition, which was corrupted by windows 10, seems to have been yet again modified by the Win8.1 clean install, which seems like a very bad thing for it to do. Nevertheless, I attempted to set up the recovery tools using reagentc.exe, and it told me I couldn't do it on a bitlocker encrypted drive! But I can't find any evidence of drive encryption.

And given that the Win10 install BACKED UP the .WIM files from my recovery before it changed anything, why are those files now unusable? Could that install.wim be bitlocker encrypted for some reason?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Your only option is download Windows 8.1 with Bing from torrent. There are no official downloads from Microsoft.
    Given that 8.1 core and "with bing"/CoreConnected are functionally the same thing, I'm surprised there's not just something I can tweak in the registry to make 8.1 core identify itself as CoreConnected for licence activation purposes. (I have tried changing things that look obvious).

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    The original T100TAs had regular Windows 8.1. That's what I have and I gave you that bad advice of skipping the product key. If you had regular Windows skipping should have worked. Rocket was right about the Windows with Bing on the TAF. The Bing Windows is given to manufacturers free or very low cost to provide low cost tablet devices. That is why it isn't available for d/l. You are experiencing most of the common things people are noticing, e.g. bitlocker is enabled on T100s so you should try to get your pass key and the Win 10 install seems to corrupt the recovery partition. The Win 10 is usually a good solution as it was listed as an upgrade path to Win 8.1 w/Bing so your embedded product key in the bios should work.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm now up and running with Windows 10.
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to provide advice.
    If anyone has any suggestions for any settings I should change then I'm all ears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links