Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Asus repair facility, strange update date, rebuilding the OS etc on my T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Exclamation Asus repair facility, strange update date, rebuilding the OS etc on my T100

Hi All,

Asus recently repaired my computer and reloaded the operating system, but the thing I can't figure out is that when I received it, it came with a pre-installed update (in the Windows Update "Installed Updates" list) with an installation date that was one week after the unit left their repair facility while the unit was still being transported by Fedex. (And that specific Windows "update" does not show up anywhere on Microsoft's website.)

Has anyone else ever seen such a thing happen?

What could be the cause of this? Could it be that the unit was tampered with or hacked by someone while in transit to me?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    It's probably just a timestamp glitch. You know, like in some parts of the world today is 30/01/2016 and in others it's 01/30/2016.

Or... it powered itself on, received the update, then went back to dreamland..... I doubt it's anything worth worrying about.

If you tell us the details on this update someone may recognize it or offer some advice
    Last edited by Swipe; 01-30-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    It's probably just a timestamp glitch. You know, like in some parts of the world today is 30/01/2016 and in others it's 01/30/2016.

Or... it powered itself on, received the update, then went back to dreamland..... I doubt it's anything worth worrying about.

I had thought about one of those possibilities, but upon later research I found that the specific "update" in question was mentioned on MDL Forums as an obsolete non-public update from a couple years ago that can not be downloaded anywhere, so even if the unit somehow powered itself on and somehow connected itself to the internet while at a Fedex facility, it would still would not have been possible for it to download that "update." Regarding the timestamp glitch possibility, could you explain more how that might apply here? The installation date of that "update" shows as being on January 23, 2016, so I don't see how a possible mix-up of the day and month would make a difference here.

Other possibilities that I am thinking about, but I really don't know enough about computers and repair facilities to know whether these are probable: 1. Asus repair facility's server or computer that made the operating system image had a wrong future date on it. But.... the other 20 or so pre-installed updates, presumably in the same image file (?), all show dates from 2014 or 2013. 2. Asus loaded an image with lots of updates from 2013 and 2014 and then manually installed the other "update" (1/23/2016 but actually from a couple years ago) after they accidentally set the date of my computer to a future date? (but then they combined both the image and the other update into the same recovery image?)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    Regarding my date comment - I was just making an amusing (to me) observation. Many times I have seen files turn up with strange dates on my tablet. 1970... strange and true at the same time.

Posting the exact name of the update may be of some help. And anything you have found out about it.

Asus may have used that update to run diagnostics or aid in the repair...

Last edited by Swipe; 01-30-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Regarding my date comment - I was just making an amusing (to me) observation. Many times I have seen files turn up with strange dates on my tablet. 1970...1900.. strange and true at the same time.

Posting the exact name of the update may be of some help. And anything you have found out about it.

Asus may have used that update to run diagnostics or aid in the repair...

The Windows "update" listed as being installed on 1/23/2016 (but which someone on the MDL Forums said was removed and superseded by another update a couple years ago) is called: KB2890049. There is no information about it on Microsoft's own website. Can you or anyone else on this great forum who has an Asus T100 or Asus T100TA chime in and tell me if they have this update in their "Installed Updates" list?

Also, is it possible for a hacker to "spoof" an obsolete update so that it shows up with the same name as the old update but actually contains malicious code?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Here's a suggestion - wipe it & reinstall Windows from scratch. Yours wouldn't be the first occasion that a less than exemplary worker at an Asus authorised repair facility has left a half finished/poorly executed install of an OS.

The overwhelming majority of repairs are fine, but I can think of three or four cases here where test firmwares were left on Android devices when returned by Asus to the end user as "repaired"

One thing is for certain, unless someone had incorrectly set a date in the BIOS, a computer cannot get the dates wrong. Yes files can have dates set to strange values - but only if there is either human error or a failure of the battery backup to the BIOS settings - in the old days these were CMOS batteries - I doubt they exist any more.

Don't worry about it, or waste any more time on it would be my advice... just reformat and reinstall Windows from scratch - it will save you hours of wondering...
    Last edited by janner43; 01-31-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    Here's a suggestion - wipe it & reinstall Windows from scratch. Yours wouldn't be the first occasion that a less than exemplary worker at an Asus authorised repair facility has left a half finished/poorly executed install of an OS.

The overwhelming majority of repairs are fine, but I can think of three or four cases here where test firmwares were left on Android devices when returned by Asus to the end user as "repaired"

One thing is for certain, unless someone had incorrectly set a date in the BIOS, a computer cannot get the dates wrong. Yes files can have dates set to strange values - but only if there is either human error or a failure of the battery backup to the BIOS settings - in the old days these were CMOS batteries - I doubt they exist any more.

Don't worry about it, or waste any more time on it would be my advice... just reformat and reinstall Windoes from scratch - it will save you hours of wondering...

I would love to wipe my unit and re-install Windows from scratch, but that would be way too expensive; I don't have the money to purchase a new Windows OS. (I can't reinstall from the recovery image because it will have the same pre-installed updates on it.)

Could you help me better understand what you said about file dates? If Asus loaded my OS and update files from an image, would the update files preserve the dates that they originally had on the image as the installation dates on my computer? If so, this could plausibly make sense for all the 2013 and 2014 update dates on my unit, except for the one 1/23/2016 installation date of the KB2890049. My unit had a defective battery and Asus replaced the MAIN_BD., whatever that means, so I guess the unit and the BIOS were without power for a time, but I guess that temporary power outage would have been before Asus replaced the battery and then reloaded the unit's OS and all the pre-installed updates, is that right? So in that sequence of events would there still be some effect on the dates of the update files? Is it possible that after the power outage and battery replacement someone manually set the date in the BIOS to a date more than a week in the future of the actual date at the time and then installed the KB2890049? Also, I'm curious about how the OS reloading and recovery image creation process works. Is it technically possible for Asus to install an image file (with the OS and a lot of updates) and then manually install another update and then create a final recovery image on the unit than incorporates both the earlier image file and the later manual update?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by novice1 View Post
    I would love to wipe my unit and re-install Windows from scratch, but that would be way too expensive; I don't have the money to purchase a new Windows OS. (I can't reinstall from the recovery image because it will have the same pre-installed updates on it.)

Could you help me better understand what you said about file dates? If Asus loaded my OS and update files from an image, would the update files preserve the dates that they originally had on the image as the installation dates on my computer? If so, this could plausibly make sense for all the 2013 and 2014 update dates on my unit, except for the one 1/23/2016 installation date of the KB2890049. My unit had a defective battery and Asus replaced the MAIN_BD., whatever that means, so I guess the unit and the BIOS were without power for a time, but I guess that temporary power outage would have been before Asus replaced the battery and then reloaded the unit's OS and all the pre-installed updates, is that right? So in that sequence of events would there still be some effect on the dates of the update files? Is it possible that after the power outage and battery replacement someone manually set the date in the BIOS to a date more than a week in the future of the actual date at the time and then installed the KB2890049? Also, I'm curious about how the OS reloading and recovery image creation process works. Is it technically possible for Asus to install an image file (with the OS and a lot of updates) and then manually install another update and then create a final recovery image on the unit than incorporates both the earlier image file and the later manual update?
    Typo: "than" should be "that"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    novice1:
    I entered the update into a Google search -
    windows update KB2890049

I don't think your device was "hacked" - try that search and do a bit of reading... I think you are really concerned about this... if someone has some advice about the update or how to check you have updated drivers, etc. that might help to resolve your issues.

As for me, I can't think of much else to add.
    Last edited by Swipe; 01-30-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post

The poor execution would be leaving the test firmware on and shipping it back after the repair. So much for persistent perfection.

Some human must have created a wonky file now and then. Thanks for the heads up !

Don't worry about it, or waste any more time on it would be my advice... just reformat and reinstall Windoes from scratch - it will save you hours of wondering...
    I agree
    Last edited by Swipe; 01-30-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links