Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Please help me to get my T100 to go to sleep/hibernate

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    7 times
    Are you aware of hibernation through command prompt?
    If you open command prompt(just type in the search found in charms menu for command prompt) and type shutdown/h ( after C:\Users\whatyourusernameis> example: C:\Users\Kittygirl95>shutdown/h ). After typing that hit enter and the t100 will(should normally) hibernate. The hibernation is pretty similar to the WIN 7 hibernation and shuts the t100 completely off.
    FYI As you probably have noticed hibernation was not located anywhere but in power options and editing power plan under critical battery action. Here is an excerpt from a post: "Hi there. after consulting a few friends at the software maker, one told me that the Asus Vivo tab smart is probably a coonected standby device because it's in tablet form. so that would explain why you can't enable a hibernate button on the power button menu. the vivo tab smart is capable of hibernate because I found a power setting that hibernate the tablet when power is 2%. " (from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/how-do-i-hibernate-windows-8-there-is-no-show/3ca05f1e-1e71-4b9d-8afa-318d3079936a?auth=1)I realize that it's referring to the vivotab and win 8, it's a great explanation.
    Hope that helps some!
    Good luck!
    lazarus likes this.
    T00TA-C1-WH(S) 64g with 128g microsd card & Z3775 processor Windows 8.1 & Anker dock with 24 inch monitor=awesome!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Hibernate is not needed on the T100... if you want it not to consume power, just power it off.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    7 times
    Hibernation even though replaced with connected standby, is still handy. I have noticed with connected standby that if I leave anything plugged in it drains the battery more. With hibernation, you can power off and later resume working(when turning back on all your windows will still be there) WITHOUT using anymore battery. I really don't like connected standby!
    Last edited by kittygirl95; 08-19-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    lazarus likes this.
    T00TA-C1-WH(S) 64g with 128g microsd card & Z3775 processor Windows 8.1 & Anker dock with 24 inch monitor=awesome!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kittygirl95 View Post
    Are you aware of hibernation through command prompt?
    If you open command prompt(just type in the search found in charms menu for command prompt) and type shutdown/h ( after C:\Users\whatyourusernameis> example: C:\Users\Kittygirl95>shutdown/h ). After typing that hit enter and the t100 will(should normally) hibernate. The hibernation is pretty similar to the WIN 7 hibernation and shuts the t100 completely off.
    FYI As you probably have noticed hibernation was not located anywhere but in power options and editing power plan under critical battery action. Here is an excerpt from a post: "Hi there. after consulting a few friends at the software maker, one told me that the Asus Vivo tab smart is probably a coonected standby device because it's in tablet form. so that would explain why you can't enable a hibernate button on the power button menu. the vivo tab smart is capable of hibernate because I found a power setting that hibernate the tablet when power is 2%. " (from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/how-do-i-hibernate-windows-8-there-is-no-show/3ca05f1e-1e71-4b9d-8afa-318d3079936a?auth=1)I realize that it's referring to the vivotab and win 8, it's a great explanation.
    Hope that helps some!
    Good luck!
    Thanks! I knew about the command prompt but haven't tried it yet(unfortunately i dont have the t100 here now). It's a bit cumbersome though, but it seems the best solution for me. Do you know if I start use hibernation, that it will take more hd space(since a hibernation file is required)? And do you know any way to tie the command to a shortcut? Just clicking a shortcut on the desktop would make this solution more feasible for everyday use.

And I do agree with you, hibernation is something that would be useful(and as you guessed, I already checked the settings, but I'll read the link you provided). Connected standby works fine(although it still drains a bit of battery in sleep) when I dont have the keyboard attached. But when it's attached and I close the lid it seems to draw a lot more, like actually draining.
    kittygirl95 likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    7 times
    Here's a link explaining how hibernate works, just scroll down to the section titled BACKGROUND. http://tekeye.biz/2014/hiberfil-sys-windows-8-1-delete

Basically the site (I did look at other sites and they all jibe) states that since hibernation is saving the current memory on ram, to a file that is around the same size. Thus a t100's hibernation file should be around 2gs. Make sure you use the task manager to notice your normal memory useage compared to a hibernation resume's memory useage. If a computer is hibernated or operated too many times with out restarting, too much memory is used for it to perform smoothly(not sure if this also applies to alternate os's like linux). For example, my dad has a laptop with 6g of ram, after running nonstop for several days or having been hibernated multiple times with no restarts, the memory usage skyrockets and the laptop will lockup(quite badly and usually during something important). So make sure that you still do system shutdowns(or restarts).

I haven't gotten a chance to check out shortcut for shutdown/h. It would be nice to have! You can pin command prompt to the start metro screen, taskbar, or start menu ( if you use a third party program to regain start menu plus a boat load of feature like classic shell). Also command prompt can have a desktop shortcut.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links