Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times

Restore image to T100 failing - help please...

I have a T100TAF notebook, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Windows 8.1, BIOS v209.

I am attempting to create a backup image of the whole SSD (with the latest Microsoft updates and Asus drivers) and then copy the image back to the SSD.

I installed Macrium Reflect v6 to the T100, created the USB boot stick then within Windows successfully created a backup image of the SSD and saved it to a 64GB microSD card in the T100's microSD slot.

I am failing to restore the image to the SSD using the boot stick with Macrium on it. Macrium comes up but only recognizes the SSD, the boot stick labeled MACRIUM and another drive labeled BootX, none of which are the microSD slot with card installed; it does not see the 64GB microSD card in the microSD slot. I tried replacing the boot stick after Macrium was up and running; drive BootX disappeared but the replacement USB drive was not recognized.

The T100 was originally at BIOS v206, so I flashed it with v209 and rebooted from the boot stick. MicroSD slot still not recognized.

Has anyone used Macrium Reflect to successfully restore an image? What was your process? Or, anyone have a suggestion or two to try?

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Welcome to the forum

I know little about Windows (mobile tech & Chrome OS/Linux yes, left Windows behind 10 years ago) so can't offer much other than...
    Macrium reflect has been used by quite a few here for their T100.
    I wonder if you'll need a 64gb USB rather than trying to save to microSD which may not be supported without software drivers

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I contacted Asus about providing a driver specific to the microSD slot so I could install it into the WinPE boot stick and got zero help. I thought about using a larger capacity boot stick but unless I can partition and format part of the larger boot stick as NTFS (the boot stick portion must be formatted as FAT32) I'll be unable to save a greater-than-4GB file. Maybe I can set Macrium to break the file into smaller pieces...

Anyway, I have another idea to explore. I wonder if the tablet micro USB connector will see a flash drive connected to it while running Macrium from the boot stick? If "yes," problem solved. Now I need to find the right cable...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    So, The WinPE environment and Macrium Reflect recognize a drive attached to the micro/mini USB port. I haven't tested it yet but, apparently, Macrium will save a large file in 4GB pieces (or smaller) if it is saving to a FAT32 drive. So I could make a 64GB boot stick (for instance), formatted as FAT32, and save the image file in pieces back to the boot stick. And that's not a bad idea...

Anyway, sorry for being a bother. I'm glad I found this place and I'm sure I'll find much useful information here when other little things crop up.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links