Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can I disable some touchscreen gestures?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times

Can I disable some touchscreen gestures?

Hi,

I have arm injuries, sensory issues, and coordination issues, which give me a lot of trouble with touchscreens. I wanted something I could use as an e-reader. Unfortunately, touchscreen-free e-readers are hard to find. So I was looking for something I could disable specific touchscreen gestures, such as pinch-to-zoom. Unfortunately, iOS and Android tablets don't seem to allow users to do that. I thought Windows 8 devices would allow me to do that.

So I bought a transformer pad t100taf yesterday.

The control panels seem to be divided between those accessible from the Windows window and those accessible from the desktop, and some of them only turn up when using the search function instead of when looking through the lists. I am not familiar with Windows, so maybe I'm missing something here.

I found one control panel which allowed me to disable certain touchpad gestures, but it hasn't affected touchscreen gestures. The screen kept zooming in and out when I was trying to read. Are there other controls to disable touchscreen gestures?

I also found various control panels which allowed me to reduce screen brightness, and turn off automatic adjustment of the brightness. The screen was still too bright, and periodically brightened still more. I assume there are tools to reduce effective brightness in Windows?

I have also had trouble with the screen periodically flashing, or zooming slightly in or slightly out after moving it, perhaps because the orientation controls are bit too sensitive.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I'm unaware of any user definable touchscreen options... I know of only (as you've found out) touchpad options.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Try looking around in this area:
    How To Enable And Disable Touch Screen Gesture In Windows 8

You don't want to stop the finger input but just the multitouch gestures. Or maybe you can just adjust the sensitivity low so they don't activate.

Edit: If the screen is too bright, I'd leave it in "auto". That will adjust for ambient lighting. If you take it off auto, it will become brighter unless you manually control it. I suppose if it is still too bright, there are screen filters and such but that would be cumbersome.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-16-2015 at 01:13 PM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    fiat_lux
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, but my transformer pad doesn't have those options under "Pen and Touch."

Is it possible that these depend on a different version of Windows 8, on a different version of the touchscreen drivers, and/or an alternate set of touchscreen drivers?
    Last edited by MarjaE; 06-16-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    @MarjaE

I think I would recommend you return your Windows T100. Essentially I do not believe you will be able to achieve what you are looking to do.

Personally, I believe your best bet will be an iOS device (ipad) - for example...
    iOS devices are remarkably intuitive and easy to use. And AssistiveTouch lets you adapt the Multi-Touch screen of your iOS device to your unique physical needs. So if you have difficulty with some gestures, like pinch, you can make them accessible with just a tap of a finger. Or create a custom gesture. And if you have trouble pressing the Home button, you can activate it with an onscreen tap. Gestures like rotate and shake are available even when your iOS device is mounted on a wheelchair. And iOS devices also support a number of third‑party assistive devices that help you interact with your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
    And that was only a tiny fragment of what is possible. To be sure you can configure the iPad in the way you need, book an appointment with an Apple Store, preadvising them that you will need to have a thorough demonstration of Accessibility features. I think you'll find it fits the bill.

Hope that helps & all the best

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    @MarjaE

I think I would recommend you return your Windows T100. Essentially I do not believe you will be able to achieve what you are looking to do.

Personally, I believe your best bet will be an iOS device (ipad) - for example...

And that was only a tiny fragment of what is possible. To be sure you can configure the iPad in the way you need, book an appointment with an Apple Store, preadvising them that you will need to have a thorough demonstration of Accessibility features. I think you'll find it fits the bill.

Hope that helps & all the best
    Thanks. I already tried an iPad. I wasn't able to get the accessibility fixes I need, or the working file system I also need. Unfortunately, the local Apple Store is in a very loud, crowded, brightly-lit mall, and isn't someplace I can handle for long. I think some of these problems may be specific to the configuration of Windows, because people did suggest partial fixes that might have worked, if I had the same set of control panel settings that they did.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    I know iOS isn't an option. I gather that Android isn't an option, either, because it doesn't allow me to disable gestures, either. If Windows isn't an option, what's left? I am disabled and need to be able to use an e-reader, and need to be able to disable certain gestures to use it. I can't find any e-readers with the necessary file format support and folder organization options that use buttons instead of touchpads. I have an old one with epub and partial pdf support.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    484 times
    Without knowing more about your complete use case, I think you might be interested in looking at e-paper kindles and other similar e-readers.
    While some models support a limited touch functionality they all have hardware page turn buttons. Some of the older kindle models have physical keyboard buttons on the bottom. There are also a selection of both new and older Kobo models that would serve as well

The disadvantage for kindle compared to other e-paper readers was that it only supported amazon purchased media and was incompatible with library services like Overdrive. I checked recently and it looks like amazon has changed their stance and supported uploading personal documents and ebooks to their devices. There are also programs available that can convert epub style files to kindle compatible ones.

Like I said earlier, I dont know what your imagined use case is. Perhaps you want to do more than just an e-reader so you can watch video content and surf the web. In those cases a standard portable laptop or Chromebook would be a better fit.
    *I apologize for any spelng mistakes. I frequently answer questions on my phone. The content is (usually) good, but the words may not be intelligible. If you cant understand my post... check back later or call me out on it.
    Tf300 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!_________Clean Install Windows 10 and Drivers______Tf700 Root and Custom ROM Guide!!

Android Master Help Guide
    ______
    T100 Master Help Guide_____ T100 FAQ Thread

Devices: Asus TF300t [Deceased], Asus t100TA -64GB, Google Nexus 6P

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
    Thanks, but my transformer pad doesn't have those options under "Pen and Touch."

Is it possible that these depend on a different version of Windows 8, on a different version of the touchscreen drivers, and/or an alternate set of touchscreen drivers?
    Sorry, I didn't have time to check my T100 for the options. There should be a way to customize:
    Accessibility Features in Windows 8 - Disabled World

Perhaps those Windows services need to be loaded. Go to Control Panel> Programs> Turn on/off windows features

I'll play around with my android stuff to see if I can get a solution.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-17-2015 at 06:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links