Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Windows Update Failed - Dead, dead, dead ... HELP!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times

Windows Update Failed - Dead, dead, dead ... HELP!

t100ta. bios 226. Was doing Windows update. Screen froze then computer turned itself off. When tried to restart got message "Windows Boot Manager, Windows Failed to Start, StatusOxc000000d"
    Finally got it to turn off completely. Restarted with f9 multiple times. Each time I went to Troubleshoot page which will come up when I boot with the USB drive in place with my Windows backup.

First Tried "Refresh your PC" but got same "Windows Failed to Start" message.
    Next tried "Reset Your PC." Whether I hit "Yes, repartition the drives" or No I get the message "Unable to reset. The system drive cannot be found." This is in spite of the fact that the USB drive with Windows is in place.
    I then tried "Advanced Options." "System Restore," "System Image Recovery," "Startup Repair" all failed.
    I did not do anything with "UEFI Firmware Settings" since I don't know what that is.
    The only thing left is "Command Prompt." When I hit that it will load what looks like a Windows prompt but since I don't know what to do there I backed out of it.

Went on chat with Asus support. Turned off computer and rebooted with f2 into the Bios. He recommended disable secure boot, but did not work. Told me to just send it in to be serviced at a cost of $135. That's over a quarter of the price I spent for the thing and just can't afford that. So, before I crack it open and destroy the hard drive so it can't be hacked and toss the whole mess in the trash is there anything any of you experts can tell me to try. If there is nothing else to do and I have to buy a new laptop (you can be sure it's gonna be an A--le product), does anybody need a hard case and a spare keyboard? ---HA!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I don't have a clue how to help you but you can say "Apple product" in these forums.

Good luck whichever route your travel takes you.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    I found this on another post. Can anyone tell me if this is the way I should proceed?

""First, you may not need a USB key. The T100 has a bootable Windows Recovery Environment on its internal system drive. This can be accessed via a cold boot by holding down the F9 key while pressing the tablet's Power Button. Once the white camera LED turns on, let go of the Power Button. After a "Please Wait" loading screen, you should see a blue screen titled "Choose an option."

From there, navigate to "Advanced options" (Choose an option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options). On that screen, running the "Startup Repair" might automatically fix the issue. Or, from the same Advanced options window, you could use the Command Prompt shell to manually enter commands to try and fix the issue.

As to the error code, it sounds as if you may have already done an online search (e.g. for "0xc0000225"). A potential fix for this issue can be found on a blog, here (Qlik Tips). The blog post's instructions are not that clear, so here is an edited comment from that post with more of a step-by-step how-to:

From the Windows Recovery Environment's Command Prompt:

2. Type DISKPART command

3. Enter Command LIST VOLUME, note volume number...

4. Enter Command SELECT VOLUME number (eg1,2,3) mine was 3

5. Enter Command ASSIGN LETTER=Z and [then Enter Command] EXIT

6. Enter Command BCDBoot c:\Windows /s z: /f UEFI

7. Exit and restart.
    If these instructions are correct (no warranties), then hopefully that should fix the boot issue.

Regarding installation media, the T100 comes with a factory image of Windows baked-in, on an internal drive. This can be used to do a complete reset of the tablet to the factory image (but, all personal files will be deleted and lost). Or, there is also an option to "refresh" Windows that should keep all personal files intact, while just affecting the operating system's files and any desktop programs installed (all or at least most get removed). For more information, How To Geek has a quick summary of the "Refresh" and "Reset" features in Windows 8.x.""

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Anybody have any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Here's a link I found in these forums that might help?

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 or 8.1

Try to be systematic in your troubleshooting and make notes as to what you've tried and what doesn't work. Tell us those details.

If something on that page doesn't work, you may have a destroyed SDD and there's no recovery partition.
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I might try running sfc /scannow from the command prompt.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb491008.aspx

However, you have to be in an elevated, run as administrator prompt.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396
    (see the first example)

Also, you can ask in the Microsoft Answers Forum as it is more of a Windows than T100 problem if it happened after an update.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1434471959073

Keep us posted on your issue.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 06-16-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    janner43 likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks so much, rickscheller and fiat_lux. I am gonna start a log and slowly try to go through these steps. I'll be back as soon as I can go through them.
    Thanks again!

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Good luck. I've never had much luck fixing the boot sector. Had a problem one time and hard to reformat and clean install Windows. I had a couple more ideas, tho.

1. Run Chkdsk.
    How To Run CHKDSK in Windows 8 - Chkdsk - Windows 8

2. Try to repair BCD.
    How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows [10 to 20 Minutes]

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    [To moderators - if I have written something wrong I, or you can edit it out. Hopefully what I tried to do to start this computer may help someone else. Maybe???]
    It's officially dead! May be repairable as I will note below. See the last sentence in this post if you want to skip all the gory details. I am through trying to restart this thing and don't want to put more money into it. We use an iMac for our home use so I will probably try to buy an apple laptop. We were really only using this ASUS to hook to the TV with an HDMI cable to stream shows.

When I say no result it means would not boot from the recovery USB drive or reset or reload Windows.

With the recovery USB drive in place it will boot under F9 to the repair / reset options and none of them will work. Usually get message "Unable to reset your PC. The system drive cannot be found.

Then ran CHKDSK /F C:
    Result = "no problems found."

From command prompt ran sfc /scannow. Got "Repair being performed" then "reboot." Rebooted with no result.

Tried each of the links listed above with no results. Retried each with multiple changes to BIOS and no results.

Went to command prompt and LIST VOLUME. Result = "There are no volumes."

Then bcedit /set c: safeboot. Got "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found."

Ran bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd Got message that "Boot volume repaired. Reboot." Didn't work

Ran bcdboot c:\windows /s c:
    bootsec /nt60 all /mbr Got same message as above. Reboot yielded "Failure when attempting to copy boot file."

Put the USB drive in another computer and checked the log and text files. This is what showed up:

Test Performed:
    ---------------------------
    Name: System disk test
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    Name: Disk failure diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    Name: Disk metadata test
    Time taken = 16 ms

Root cause found:
    Boot manager is missing or corrupt.

Repair action: File repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x15
    Time taken = 0 ms

Here's the problem!!! My recovery USB files' boot manager is missing or corrupt. So I guess if you have a usable windows 8.1 recovery USB drive then THEORETICALLY you could reboot from that drive and restore Windows. I assume. I had also thought that there was a hard partition on the thing that you could boot from, but that didn't work out either!! Soooo, any takers? And thanks to all you guys that contributed so I could try to bring life back to my little black paper weight!!
    Last edited by helpifIcan; 07-06-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Sales not allowed

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Assuming there's no hardware issues, users here have given instructions on how to download a Windows install ISO, put it on a bootable USB drive and rebuild your system.

You'll want to have at least the proper Asus network driver... and maybe other drivers available too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links