Thread: [NOT Solved] Dead Wifi ? Network adapter unlisted/vanished

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times

[NOT Solved] Dead Wifi ? Network adapter unlisted/vanished

I just bought a refurbished T100TA 64gb with Z7375 all is working well besides the Wifi.

It connected to my network during the initial setup of Windows, then, 20 minutes later I lost the connection only to realise that the actual network adapter wasn't listed anymore.

I flashed the latest bios and it came back! For another few minutes before vanishing again. I tried restoring, wiping everthing clean, all available drivers, the suggested steps a few threads to no avail..

Plugged in or not, docked or not, the hardware seems to be gone. Bluetooth works great... no unkown devices listed or devices marked with an exclamation mark - none.

I even tried WIndows 10 and had the exact same issue. In fact, I could only attempt to update the driver in the tiny windows I got where the hardware actually showed up. When it did show up and fail afterwards I got the classic Code 10 error and after some diver installation attempt it vanished back.

Any thoughts ? I'd hate to have to go through the RMA process but it looks like Ill have to go there...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Nicely detailed writeup... sounds like you've covered every possible detail.

Since the wifi device is a chip soldered to the mobo, sorry to say you may have a defective unit.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Not clear if you updated the wifi drivers or not. Also, keep the Bluetooth off while you are fiddling with the wifi as it seems to interfere a bit.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    Just a quick follow up. I was about to give up and put it back in its box and decided to shut it down one more time but this time not restarting, complete shutdown and wait for a few seconds/minutes before rebooting. Out of nowhere, the network adapter appeared and connected! It probably picked the Chi T100 driver (.210) and worked for a solide hour before I had to go to work.

I will report back tonight but it got me thinking - as the only other times the adapter showed up were either :

- Initial boot sequence (Windows config)
    - After flashing the BIOS
    - After doing a complete reset
    - After powering off for an extended period of time

I think that the common theme is the "full reboot" sequence. Hopefully it'll have stick and I won,t have to return it.. I'd be extremely happy about that as it is an outstanding unit for the price
    rickscheller likes this.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It's a cold boot rather than a warm boot, which resets the hardware. Good you figured it out, Persistence pays. Marked solve.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    It's a cold boot rather than a warm boot, which resets the hardware. Good you figured it out, Persistence pays. Marked solve.
    Well ... it's still happening.. it worked well for a full day but it disapeared again..... it seems to be happening every time a Windows Update is applied.. rebooting, shutdown doesn't help. Reinstalling the ATK package (repair) seems to bring it back on the next reboot.. or so it did this time.

I'm rather puzzled.... it can't be hardware related as I dont see how installing a piece of software would revive it but at the same time no one seems to be experiencing this to that extent..

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    I'm thinking you have some sort of conflict with another driver or some other software but I have no idea where to tell you to look. I'm going to change the title.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Is it one particular Windows update that's causing the problem?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    1 times
    nope.. no pattern, its extremely weird. I thought the atk package reinstall was helping but it is not

in the end, rebooting kills it and eventually, rebooting enough times brings it back... docked or undocked, MS or broadcom drivers, any version.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    most likely it is defective and it is reviving and dying due to electricity or something like a capacitor or resistor working on or off
    once it warms up and you shut down the computer it make not come back on right away from heat and once it cooled down it would start working again
    this is just an educated guess of course
    I would RMA it if you still have warranty, the wifi chip is soldered onto the motherboard and not replaceable

just to be certain, you are using windows 8.1 correct?
    using some other setup is like to cause a driver support conflict

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links