Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to recover lost recovery partition?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times

How to recover lost recovery partition?

Hi all,

So...I had to RMA my T100-TAM (64gb) because it stopped charging. When I got it back, they had changed the mainboard.

I restored from a system image, but somehow, the act of restoring from system image, wiped my restore partition. It's still there...just that the contents are gone.

On top of that, I'm getting weird crashes that I didn't have prior to my RMA. Thinking that it's because I'm restoring from a system image that was created on another motherboard with identical hardware (though, I don't know how that would really affect anything), I'm trying to reset to default, and just bite the bullet to reinstall everything again.

The issue is, the restore partition is now completely empty. My question is -- how do I restore its contents? I actually liked how it was empty and unaccessible/protected, except for when I need it.
    I'm in the process of doing this, although I'm thinking that it'll just just put the windows installer in my C drive as opposed to re-populating the hidden partition.

Any instructions? I've scoured the net for hours and haven't found anything.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    Addendum: using recuva, I peered inside the partition and found a 1gb file.

Attempting to use reagentc /setosimage to point to the unmounted volume results in an error message.
    So...it seems that either Asus gave me a mobo with a blank recovery partition, or System Image Restore wipes all partitions (even though I was careful to tell it to only recover C:\...if that's possible.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    I peered into it using an undelete program. The file list is visible up top. There's a 1gb tmp file, and then a $BadClus that's the size of the partition (that "hides" sensitive files...but Recuva can see those too).

I think that's fine. I think my first step is to restore with the install.wim downloaded from Microsoft. I have my Product Key from NirSoft so I can reinstall and use that key (hopefully). The plan is to see if using the downloaded WIM will somehow allow me to access the partition. If I can't, I'm going to wipe the partition and create my own (which can now be smaller -- bonus!). I think I found a way to have the partition set as read-only and/or unmounted (hence partially hidden).

And if the above doesn't work, I still have a recovery USB and my original (non-stock) recovery image.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    Update: wim converter kept freezing, so as an experiment I popped in the USB recovery key created from the Microsoft Webpage, which downloads the windows installer).

I then just went to "restore to factory", and it was able to wipe everything and reinstall. Some caveats:
    1) Some drivers missing -- touchscreen doesn't work, but no Asus bloat. Wifi works though, so getting drivers will be easy
    2) Recovery Partition remains empty -- guess that means I'll be making my own

Time to forge onward. Hope my notes will help someone. Namely -- get your copy of the recovery software online. It works.
    fiat_lux likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Just wondering if you ever tested the functionality of the "empty" recovery partition. It is not uncommon for the partition to read 0 files in Disk Manager. Possibly because it is WIM? Mine was like that and I've seen some others say that, too. I have a refurb 32 gb model but never tested the functionality (F9) as I had to copy/delete the recovery partition to regain required free space. I will probably have to reinstall Windows when I upgrade to Win 10. I was thinking I would do it as you did if my stock USB recovery doesn't work. So thanks for that info. Just for the record, the behavior of the recovery is quite a mystery with the T100s, especially the 32 gb model.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
    Hi all,

So...I had to RMA my T100-TAM (64gb) because it stopped charging. When I got it back, they had changed the mainboard.

I restored from a system image, but somehow, the act of restoring from system image, wiped my restore partition. It's still there...just that the contents are gone.

On top of that, I'm getting weird crashes that I didn't have prior to my RMA. Thinking that it's because I'm restoring from a system image that was created on another motherboard with identical hardware (though, I don't know how that would really affect anything), I'm trying to reset to default, and just bite the bullet to reinstall everything again.

The issue is, the restore partition is now completely empty. My question is -- how do I restore its contents? I actually liked how it was empty and unaccessible/protected, except for when I need it.
    I'm in the process of doing this, although I'm thinking that it'll just just put the windows installer in my C drive as opposed to re-populating the hidden partition.

Any instructions? I've scoured the net for hours and haven't found anything.

felixdd:- Hi we're sorry to hear that this has happened to your notebook and we would love to see how best we can assist. Please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with details on the issue and your serial number so that we can further assist you.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Just wondering if you ever tested the functionality of the "empty" recovery partition. It is not uncommon for the partition to read 0 files in Disk Manager. Possibly because it is WIM? Mine was like that and I've seen some others say that, too. I have a refurb 32 gb model but never tested the functionality (F9) as I had to copy/delete the recovery partition to regain required free space. I will probably have to reinstall Windows when I upgrade to Win 10. I was thinking I would do it as you did if my stock USB recovery doesn't work. So thanks for that info. Just for the record, the behavior of the recovery is quite a mystery with the T100s, especially the 32 gb model.
    Like others, I couldn't F9 after I got my RMA back. In fact, I can't remember if I could even before the RMA.
    I'm pretty sure there was nothing in the image, since there was only one tmp file (sized 1 gig) in there. In any case, I wiped it since it was empty. I also couldn't create extract the WIM from the ESD so I'm now running without any recovery partition. Everything's saved redundantly on my backup servers.

I'm a bit baffled and disappointed at ASUS about this. As an experiment, I created a partition and did a system image recovery -- the contents of the partition were unaltered. That suggests to me that the partition was faulty out of the factory. In addition, I used reagentc.exe to try to point to the unmounted partition and even it said there was no WIM in the file.

Seeing as I now have made a pair of system recovery images (drivers only, and with my base programs installed), and will probably make a custom restore image with updates....I think I'm happy with the extra 8gb. No point preserving the partition if it was going to be blank and unrestorable....

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Thanks for pointing out the reagentc.exe command. I think I know know how to point the 32gb models back to the proper recovery image now. Gonna test it out. Will report back later.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi guys please I need help ASAP

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    10 times
    You got a copy of install.wim? PM me if so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links