Thread: [Solved] "You can only print from apps"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    2 times

[Solved] "You can only print from apps"

I just got a new T100 TAM last week and have been having some trouble with printing. For some reason, trying to print anything online leads to the printer struggling for about 2 minutes and then only printing the date and website URL at the very top of a page, and then quitting and erroring out.

The printer I have is showing up in the Settings Devices list just fine, but for some reason, it won't show up under Devices on the desktop. I've removed the printer and searched for devices through Add Devices. I readded it, and that seemed to do nothing.

Then I went to the Brother website (It's a DJP J125W printer) and downloaded their drivers package. In order to install the printer, it wanted me to connect to it via USB. I couldn't do that because I don't have a printer to USB cable -- it's a wireless printer. I want to use it as a wireless printer.

So I'm at a loss for what I should do next. Any help would be much appreciated.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

My guess is that a part of that package is a firmware upgrade and that can usually only be done over USB. I have run into that same problem on a Brother printer and an Epson printer but I can't explain what I did to solve the problem. My suggestion, adjust printer settings until a print preview works rather than waste paper. The Epson printer came with a browser plugin to do WEB printing, (yours may have one too), that may not work with MUI IE.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    2 times
    leeshor, thanks for the quick reply!

I've installed this printer wirelessly by simply installing drivers on my old laptop and on my current desktop, so it's odd to me that it'd ask for a printer cable hook-up with just this computer. I'll gladly get myself a printer-to-USB cable if that's all it's going to take to get it to work, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to end up spending the five bucks on one via amazon, wait a few days for it to get here, and still not have a working printer at the end of it.

The print preview works just fine, and it lists the destination as Brother DCP-J152W Printer on the print preview. I know something is getting through to the printer because it does at least print out the date + site link at the top. It even tells me when stuff is zonky with the printer, like the ink being low or the printer being left open.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    501 times
    I have this same issue printing from some webpages on my android tablet. I have to save the webpage as a PDF file then print the pdf
    Amnesty likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    There is also a problem wit some pages that use frames. Sometimes clicking in the frame will help if you do that first but some pages will only print if it has a "print" this page button. Most pages work OK with most HP printer and have a better chance to print but not all. As a last resort you could use the Windows snipping tool to capture the page but printing to PDF may indeed help.

Note that if you can print to PDF but not to the printer the problem is with the printer/drivers capability, not Windows.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    Did you just use the desktop "Windows add a printer" function? That may not provide proper or full functionality...

Here's the procedure that should work. If this is exactly what you did, I'm a bit stumped.

Go here, Downloads | DCP-J125 | Others | Brother and download the Win8.1 32 bit software package?

Then run (extract if needed) the software to "find" and install the software on your T100 so the T100 can properly communicate to the wireless printer?

Let us know.
    Amnesty likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    I am sure other's have suggested it all and try the drivers above too which Rick mentioned, but when you say 'quitting and erroring out' does it throw any error? Can you let us know which error it throws? Also I am assuming all of your other device's print fine from this printer, and only the T100 has a problem? If not have you checked any other devices and seen this print perfectly fine.

On a side note, guessing you trying to add it from the metro options, have you physically went under 'Control Panel' > 'Devices and Printers' and tried adding it there from 'Add a Printer' in the top, the Wifi enabled printers should populate automatically on the same network, double click and add, I have used this printer on a friend's place a couple of times since he has it, it prints perfectly fine with the automatic wireless driver by default, but the only problem I had there was, sometime's it just throws a blank paper out without anything, then you send the print command again, and it just print's fine. That's the only issue I have had, otherwise this printer along with the HP 3510 Wireless which I have and some other's at work, have no problems printing with the default wireless printer drivers on my T100.

In order to isolate, I would take this approach,

1- Does this have printing problems only when printing through any browser or just this browser or webpage's?
    2- Does it print from other applications fine?
    3- Do I have the printer in my Devices and Printers under Control Panel?
    4- Does the printer print fine from all other devices/laptops/desktops?

If you are able to print with this printer from any application on the T100, let's say word/outlook/notepad fine, and only have a problem printing online webpages, then try a different browser, it's the browser print settings usually causing this and might need to be tweaked, and which browser are you using here? Also just to be sure, when you delete and re-add the printer on the T100, make sure you restart the print spooler just in case > Right Click > Start 'Run' > type 'Services.msc' enter, look for Printer Spooler in the list and right click restart, and close and re-open the browser when you are about to test. I don't believe it's the driver if it print's fine with other apps on the same device and only has a issue with printing online webpages.

Let us know either way, All the best
    Last edited by Caster; 04-05-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    rickscheller and Amnesty like this.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    2 times
    RE: rickscheller - I did try running the drivers package from Brother, but got stuck at it needing me to hook up to the printer physically with a USB to printer cable. I don't have one. I've never needed one to install this printer on any of the multitude of devices I've installed it on, and I would like to avoid buying one if that's not going to be what solves my problem. Reassurance one way or the other would be good on that before I either wait 3 days for a $5 one from Amazon or blow $15 on one at WalMart.

Clarification for Caster:

It has this problem when printing from anything. Even from PDF (tried it last night). Funnily enough, the printer did show up in the right-side-swipe list of Printers when I was using the PDF, but it still gave me the error and did not print anything except the blank page with the header containing website URL + date.

I have already added it under the Control Panel.

The printer works on 2 desktops, 2 laptops, and my mobile phone with no flaws.

All it says when it errors is "Error printing on Brother DCP J125W -- The printer could not print Google" (I used the Google home page to test print, then saved it as a PDF to try to test that xD.)

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    I 100% agree, no cable is needed.

I have an Epson all-in-one wifi connected printer that I used "my procedure" for and all functions work perfectly from five different PCs, an iPad and three Android phones... it didn't need a cable to get it to work for any of those.

Perhaps check Brothers website for help.
    Amnesty likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Does the printer have a fixed IP address?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links