Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Red face Recovery OEM Windows after install non-OEM windows or Problem in reseting

Hi everybody
    want to explain How to recovery you OEM windows when you lost it or Install other versions of windows,

What you need:
    1.Your recovery DISK was OK and you can see it in Diskpart / "list disk" command in CMD
    2.Installed any other windows 8.1 in your Tablet (If not Just install one with bootable Flash. it's easy)

in your non-OEM windows from CMD, enter to Diskpart mode by type command "DiskPart" after that type "list disk" command and see the list of your disk, generally the last one is recovery disk and has 8GIG volume, type "sel disk #" instead of "#" type the number of the disk in the list, then type "list part" and you see the list of it's partitions, then type "sel part 1" and then type "assign letter=t" after each command you know must press (Enter), now you can see the hidden the drive of recovery in your My computer, enter it and from view menu active "show all files" and show "system files" then you see two hidden folder named "RecoveryBoot" and "RecoveryImage", copy all the folders in this drive to a other place,

now make a bootable USB from other windows 8.1 in 8 GIG flash USB with last version of (Rufus) software, remember to set the partition type to GPT and file system to NTFS, after that copy the install.wim file from "RecoveryImage" folder that you copied, in the "Source" folder in the USB flash, then find (EI.cfg) file in the "source" folder and delete it,

now you have a bootable flash include oem windows of your tablet, you can install it like other version of windows, and when it finished, you see your original windows loaded,

Enjoy...

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    are you saying i can follow this to create a bootable usb drive using the hidden read-only recovery files as a source? will this also restore the F9 recovery function? because thats what i am working on right now

here is the problem i am having:

i created bootable windows recovery usb disk from within windows (control panel > recovery > create a bootable recovery drive)
    to test the disk, i booted to this usb drive and initiated the recovery
    i booted to windows to find that a recovery partition was placed on my SSD, now i am out 8GB of data
    at this point, my F9 function has stopped working to access the hidden recovery drive
    i have already saved the contents of the hidden recovery drive somewhere

at this point, i just want the SSD to return back to normal and have my F9 restore function working
    Last edited by AFX; 03-22-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I think this subject has so many ways to do things wrong resulting in unintended consequences such as losing 8GB of precious SSD or even breaking your T100, that I would discourage anyone to try these procedures unless they're 100% confident that it works properly.

IMHO
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    at this point i am going to try anything. plus, this will help users who get their device back with their recovery partition on the SSD instead of being pointed to the hidden recovery drive.

i have been able to remove the recovery partition from the SSD, just need the F9 functionality to work again
    Last edited by AFX; 03-22-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kiarashsepehri View Post
    Hi everybody
    want to explain How to recovery you OEM windows when you lost it or Install other versions of windows,

What you need:
    1.Your recovery DISK was OK and you can see it in Diskpart / "list disk" command in CMD
    2.Installed any other windows 8.1 in your Tablet (If not Just install one with bootable Flash. it's easy)

in your non-OEM windows from CMD, enter to Diskpart mode by type command "DiskPart" after that type "list disk" command and see the list of your disk, generally the last one is recovery disk and has 8GIG volume, type "sel disk #" instead of "#" type the number of the disk in the list, then type "list part" and you see the list of it's partitions, then type "sel part 1" and then type "assign letter=t" after each command you know must press (Enter), now you can see the hidden the drive of recovery in your My computer, enter it and from view menu active "show all files" and show "system files" then you see two hidden folder named "RecoveryBoot" and "RecoveryImage", copy all the folders in this drive to a other place,

now make a bootable USB from other windows 8.1 in 8 GIG flash USB with last version of (Rufus) software, remember to set the partition type to GPT and file system to NTFS, after that copy the install.wim file from "RecoveryImage" folder that you copied, in the "Source" folder in the USB flash, then find (EI.cfg) file in the "source" folder and delete it,

now you have a bootable flash include oem windows of your tablet, you can install it like other version of windows, and when it finished, you see your original windows loaded,

Enjoy...
    Welcome to the forums Kiara .

Good post, but the main problem with people going for a fresh install in the first place, is to get rid of that 8 GB Recovery Partition in order to free up space on their T100s when all other options are exhausted of getting rid of it to begin with, even though it's not recommended mainly because of the aftermath issues they face when they really need that recovery back or something else goes wrong. This would be better for those who don't delete the recovery partition during the installation of their fresh Windows 8.1, but the majority who do, get rid of everything which I have seen here, then come post seeking help from others to upload their recovery's online for them to download because they have issues now or can't do a factory reset. A thorough research on such subject's is definitely required by the end users, prior before taking any drastic measures on the stock OS to be ready for any future issues if encountered, is what I would suggest and recommend to anyone. Goodluck to All!
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    Caster, do you have any idea on what I am trying to do? just seeking out some assistance since i cannot F9 restore anymore (32GB T100TA) anymore. any insight appreciated.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AFX View Post
    Caster, do you have any idea on what I am trying to do? just seeking out some assistance since i cannot F9 restore anymore (32GB T100TA) anymore. any insight appreciated.
    Sure, I'd like to help in anyway possible, however let's not hijack this thread with different posts other then the OP related ones, sent you a PM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links