Thread: Disk Space Full Help!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Disk Space Full Help!

My girlfriends Transformer T100 disk space is full, she has the 500 GB keyboard and a 16gb microsd card. I have tried to move the 'Program Files' folder onto the keyboard and them symlink the C:/Program Files to the Keyboard (D:/Program Files) but I cannot remove the C:/ directory (it deleted most apps but about 15 remain)... I tried to replace the apps back into the C:/ drive but it says the disk is full..

How can I mount either the keyboard or microsd as PERMANENT storage space and restore the apps? Help is needed asap! Thank you

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arayray View Post
    1. My girlfriends Transformer T100 disk space is full, she has the 500 GB keyboard and a 16gb microsd card.
    2. I have tried to move the 'Program Files' folder onto the keyboard.
    3. and them symlink the C:/Program Files to the Keyboard (D:/Program Files) but I cannot remove the C:/ directory (it deleted most apps but about 15 remain)... 4. I tried to replace the apps back into the C:/ drive but it says the disk is full..
    5. How can I mount either the keyboard or microsd as PERMANENT storage space and restore the apps? Help is needed asap! Thank you
    1. T100 has more than enough space (32 or 64GB) for Windows & Apps, not much for your personal stuff.
    2. Windows does not allow that folder to be moved with only a few key commands.
    3. ??
    4. ??
    5. You can move My Documents, Pictures, etc. You can also move your User Profile.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    So here's the run down, it says it only has 20gb of space in which only like 2mb are free space.
    1. How can I restore her apps without factory resetting it?
    2. Do I need to symlink her documents, pictures etc to the keyboard?
    3. Is there no way to make Windows recognize the keyboard as available space? Instead of 20gb it would count the 500gb as well?
    4. I booted Ubuntu off a USB to try to delete C:/Program Files but Ubuntu wouldn't show the Windows partition at all. Is there anyway to move the apps to the keyboard or am I stuck with moving the documents?

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Welcome to the forums Arayray .

Before anything, you need to know what has utilized the full space of your C Drive, there is definitely a file/folder/apps which has used up all of its space. I doubt it's full from the OS, as we all have that running. Use a program like Folder Size (search google for this), to see what all files/folders are using the maximum space, which you can safely cut/move to your 500GB HDD dock.

I would go with this approach to see what are my options, before trying to move/cut/delete anything,

1- What apps are you referring to? Are they all thick client apps? If yes uninstall them from Program and features and reinstall them changing the directory upon installation to your 500 GB HDD, now a days all thick client apps have options to change directory options upon installation.
    2- If the apps are from Windows Store (Alot of them), you can go to start, look for the 'Down Arrow' all the way to left side bottom of your start screen, right-click any Windows Store App downloaded/installed from the list and 'Uninstall'.
    3- Move MS Office to your SDCard/other location, (follow the T100 Master Help Guide in my sig, it has the link to do this)

Do note, you don't need to backup any modern/metro apps ONLY if your using a MS Account, since it syncs its preferences, data with your MS Account and allows easy access to login into any other Windows machine with your MS Account, download the app from Windows Store again and you're good to go. If you are using a Local Account, then you need to switch to a Microsoft Account for all of them to backup automatically with your MS Account (follow below instructions),
    Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 8

To install MS Window Store Apps to another drive/location (follow instructions below),
    How to Install Windows Store Apps to an SD Card or Another Drive

There is no need to cut your whole C:\Program Files or your C Drive or try to move your C:\Windows to any other drive. It will unnecessarily create new problems and issues for you with unknown error messages, I do not recommend this nor it is encouraged, to start deleting folders, without following the proper ways to uninstall the apps which are using them. You have to make sure your C Drive (OS) is as free as possible for the system to function even properly.

To get quick space, to perform above actions if your computer is very slow to even function/perform the above tasks with the 2 MB space as you mentioned above,

Delete the recent System Restore point,
    Delete a restore point - Windows Help

Make sure not all of your C Drive is being used to store the System Restore Points it's good to check these options,
    Right-Click Start > System > System Protection (all the way top left) > Configure > Max Usage should be set to 2-3% not more

Use System's built-in Disk Cleanup to give you an overview what all is being used,
    Go to Start, type 'Disk Cleanup' in search

Turn off Hibernate in your T100 and delete the system file to gain more space (follow instructions below),
    Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

Change the default Program Files locations,
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change...ectory-windows

Use CCleaner to get rid of temp/unwanted files easily,
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Lastly, follow the T100 Master Help Guide, in my signature it has links for best practices, freeing up space, how to use symlinks to move data/docs to other locations as well as perform the above steps mentioned in order to gain more space out of your 32GB T100. You'll have to be patient and perform the tasks/research in order for her to use her system properly and as quick as possible by doing the above steps which I have mentioned/recommended.

Goodluck & All the best!
    Last edited by Caster; 02-17-2015 at 09:41 AM.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    I've tried the "install Windows Store apps to SD card" registry edit. It is a nightmare so I wouldn't recommend it. The Store only knows one location for the apps. Until MS changes this, it will be a problem. Just like space-eating Windows Updates. Those should be configured to go somewhere else as well. And the Office install. That should be easily able to install to somewhere else, instead of jumping through hoops. The 32 gb drive is just too small for Windows 8.1 and MS is not helping things AT ALL.

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arayray View Post
    My girlfriends Transformer T100 disk space is full, she has the 500 GB keyboard and a 16gb microsd card. I have tried to move the 'Program Files' folder onto the keyboard and them symlink the C:/Program Files to the Keyboard (D:/Program Files) but I cannot remove the C:/ directory (it deleted most apps but about 15 remain)... I tried to replace the apps back into the C:/ drive but it says the disk is full..

How can I mount either the keyboard or microsd as PERMANENT storage space and restore the apps? Help is needed asap! Thank you
    arayray - We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your Notebook. Based on what you described, it could possibly be your antivirus software utilizing your C" drive's memory. You can have that checked out and if it is not that, please email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with your serial number and this post attached for further assistance.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

-In Search of Incredible-

Technical Support Department
    ASUS :: http://service.asus.com/
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    @Asus_USA

Can you restore access to the 8 gb hidden recovery ROM from a refurbished T100TA? The recovery partition is 8 gb on the C: drive!

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    @Asus_USA

Can you restore access to the 8 gb hidden recovery ROM from a refurbished T100TA? The recovery partition is 8 gb on the C: drive!
    fiat_lux - You are not able to reload the recovery partition.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to email us at socialsupportus@asus.com. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

ASUS :: ASUS Service | North America
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asus_USA View Post
    fiat_lux - You are not able to reload the recovery partition.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns please do not hesitate to email us at socialsupportus@asus.com. We will be more than happy to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing ASUS products and services.

Thank you,

ASUS :: ASUS Service | North America
    Thanks for the response. I just want to clarify that on a 32 gb T100TA that has gone through a refurb/factory wipe, that the 8 gb recovery ROM is wiped as well? That is why the recovery partition is placed on the C: drive? Do all 32 gb T100TAs have the 8 gb recovery ROM? If the 8 gb recovery ROM is truly empty we might as well use the space as some people have already done. Sorry for all the questions but it is unclear what happens during a factory wipe and we just want to understand.
    rickscheller likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links