Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAS
    Liked
    1 times

Problem with USB Recovery disk, How to recover Serial Number?

Hi! I installed the latest Windows 10 release but decided to get back to the original state. My model doesn't come with a separated drive for recovery, but with a recovery repartition that is part of the 32GB drive. Before changing the OS, I created a recovery disk that apparently was fine.

Now, I tried to move back but T100 doesn't recognize the content of the USB drive. I can selected from BIOS, but after I choose the language and the keyboard setup, it goes to a screen asking if I want to return to Windows, turn off the machine or try advanced actions. Even if I choose to restore the Machine, it says that a partition needed is not installed.

I then installed a clean version of Windows with another USB drive and did install fine. I tried to use the USB recovery but it restores the system based on the clean windows, not based on Asus image.

So, is there a way I can extract the serial number from the USB recovery that is not working? The files are there, even the Install.Win and Custom.Win, both with about 2GB.

I called Asus support but because I erased my recovery partition, apparently I lost my windows's warranty and now either I send them and they will charge for a new one, or I purchase one for myself.

Thks!

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Samgu, from reading your post, I believe you are trying to recover the CD-Key (serial number) for your Windows 8.1 which came with the T100 and it's already having a clean Windows 8.1 installed now? Is that correct?

If yes, you can dowload RWEverything (Read & Write Utility) from the Windows installed on the T100 and mainly try to get it from the Bios. Open RWEverything Utility, after downloading & go to ACPI tab on the top right, and it should be under MSDM at the very bottom it's hard to miss it there . Those install.wim and so files, won't help in this. There official site is RWeverything.com but I suppose its exceeded the bandwidth limit now, when I just checked it.

Use google to search and download it. Title amended to reflect the issue.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Caster, I downloaded the latest RW Everything and clicked on the "ACPI tables" icon on the top menu bar but there is no MSDM that I can see. But I am trying it out on a Windows 7 machine so is that why I can't find it. e.g. because storing the serial number in the BIOS was not a Windows 7 feature?

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WarwickB View Post
    Hi Caster, I downloaded the latest RW Everything and clicked on the "ACPI tables" icon on the top menu bar but there is no MSDM that I can see. But I am trying it out on a Windows 7 machine so is that why I can't find it. e.g. because storing the serial number in the BIOS was not a Windows 7 feature?
    Yes and if the system has an OEM embedded key in Bios then only it would, otherwise it won't.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book 100TAF
    Liked
    4 times
    There's a better tool that don't make you jump though hoops to get key it's called produkey you open it and all your keys are there.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links