Thread: I screwed up, C: Drive Partition lost? Device won't boot up

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

I screwed up, C: Drive Partition lost? Device won't boot up

I have a year old T100TA-B1-GR, with the Z3740 processor, 2 GB of memory, 32GB EMMC, BIOS 313, Win 8.1, in USA.

I was trying to shrink the C: drive to create an extra drive on the EMMC. I had created a 5GB drive and was attempting to format it using a 3rd party program in boot mode when something screwed up the C: drive.

Now it won't let me boot up. What's worse is I never created a recovery USB (Stupid). I'm willing to reset the system, but it wants installation or recovery media, neither of which I have.

What are my options?

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Well since you basically deleted the partition, or as it seems. I can only recommend you the below options, and see what fits your style better then go for it ,

1) The article below explains how to 'Create a Windows 8.1 Boot Media', USB/DVD anything basically and make sure the USB drive is more then 4GB, and use any other alternate computer to create it.

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help or Create a USB recovery drive - Windows Help

2) Once it boots up, see if you have your previous partition when you are installing the OS, and if by luck it recognizes it, then that's your only option, Just pick 'Copy Files/Settings' and you can simply re-install on the same OS on the C drive and make sure you do not do fresh or delete the partitions otherwise it will delete everything.

3) If it doesn't recognize, do a fresh install using your recovery usb from point 1, setup any partitions you want from the get-go, but beware you need the CD Key of Windows 8.1 to activate it, you can either get it from Asus by contacting them giving them your unit serial and the details. Because I haven't seen one in my box. Further all drivers and downloads can be done from the below link,

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TA

4) If you want to avoid all the hassle, and your unit is still in warranty, you can simply take it for repair and ask them to reload the OS, but you might lose your stuff if you had any hence this is a comprise you would have to do. I would go for this, if mine had no point of return and was in warranty.

Some good, Boot Option keys I found which can be helpful to you during your setup,
    ESC: Boot device selection menu
    DEL: Boot into BIOS Setup (same as F2)
    F2: Boot into BIOS Setup
    F9: Boot into windows recovery mode
    Vol Down: Boot Device Selection Menu

Don't fret, try to simply use the Disk Management next time which is built-in, you can easily shrink from there instead of 3rd party tools which can cause problems like this, if you want to, I tried to see what you were initially trying to do and I can easily see the 'Shrink' Option available there on my 64GB C Drive. However I am not sure why I would want to shrink even more out of the 32GB which you had, as OS drive should have the maximum provided to keep up with updates/performance/apps and as such. You don't need more drives, just use an external HDD, a USB or the Micro SD Card which works wonders as well and goes inside the tablet.

Try to use the search as well, it's really helpful and don't worry you can get it up even from scratch ! Either way once you get your device in order, Make sure to do a recovery on a USB of that setup as backup, Another useful thread for you to see and go through,

Recovery Partition and recovery USB
    rickscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caster View Post
    Well since you basically deleted the partition, or as it seems. I can only recommend you the below options, and see what fits your style better then go for it ,

1) The article below explains how to 'Create a Windows 8.1 Boot Media', USB/DVD anything basically and make sure the USB drive is more then 4GB, and use any other alternate computer to create it.

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help or Create a USB recovery drive - Windows Help

2) Once it boots up, see if you have your previous partition when you are installing the OS, and if by luck it recognizes it, then that's your only option, Just pick 'Copy Files/Settings' and you can simply re-install on the same OS on the C drive and make sure you do not do fresh or delete the partitions otherwise it will delete everything.

3) If it doesn't recognize, do a fresh install using your recovery usb from point 1, setup any partitions you want from the get-go, but beware you need the CD Key of Windows 8.1 to activate it, you can either get it from Asus by contacting them giving them your unit serial and the details. Because I haven't seen one in my box. Further all drivers and downloads can be done from the below link,

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TA

4) If you want to avoid all the hassle, and your unit is still in warranty, you can simply take it for repair and ask them to reload the OS, but you might lose your stuff if you had any hence this is a comprise you would have to do. I would go for this, if mine had no point of return and was in warranty.

Some good, Boot Option keys I found which can be helpful to you during your setup,
    ESC: Boot device selection menu
    DEL: Boot into BIOS Setup (same as F2)
    F2: Boot into BIOS Setup
    F9: Boot into windows recovery mode
    Vol Down: Boot Device Selection Menu

Don't fret, try to simply use the Disk Management next time which is built-in, you can easily shrink from there instead of 3rd party tools which can cause problems like this, if you want to, I tried to see what you were initially trying to do and I can easily see the 'Shrink' Option available there on my 64GB C Drive. However I am not sure why I would want to shrink even more out of the 32GB which you had, as OS drive should have the maximum provided to keep up with updates/performance/apps and as such. You don't need more drives, just use an external HDD, a USB or the Micro SD Card which works wonders as well and goes inside the tablet.

Try to use the search as well, it's really helpful and don't worry you can get it up even from scratch ! Either way once you get your device in order, Make sure to do a recovery on a USB of that setup as backup, Another useful thread for you to see and go through,

Recovery Partition and recovery USB
    You are very knowledgeable. Good information.
    Caster likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post the outcome.

Starscream
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    255 times
    Amended the title, to reflect on the exact issue posted.
    Proud Owner of Asus 100TA-DK024H, Asus ROG G750JZ, Asus TF700
    Use it daily, I get around 9-10 or more hours per charge daily - Bios 313 - Please use search in the forums, and refer to Guides under every section they are very helpful!
    Forum Rules - Wifi was Working - Now Disconnected? - Wifi Tips & Tricks
    Z3775 Graphics Card Driver Update/Details/Processor Details (How Much Mhz/VRAM does it have!)
    Android Master Help Guide - T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF201
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

I have messed around with my T100 as well.

However, I tried an Android version to see if it was any good.

The interface to install Android x86 is very confusing, and lead me to delete all partitions.

Now it doesn't boot from the USB. I've tried a few tools to create a bootable USB drive, including Microsoft's, and nothing. Just skips to BIOS, or boots Android.

Anyone knows about any other bootable tool I can try?

Thank you.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    How could it boot Android if you deleted all the partitions?
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links