Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Random Shutdowns on my t100, battery isn't low

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - iOS
    Liked
    13 times
    Maybe proc overheating or built-in power supply has a problem.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    3 times
    it is not a heat problem, if it goes under 50% the problem happens even if i turn it on after hours.

Kayko described exactly my situation and (maybe not a coincidence) we both have this TAS model.
    I think my only chance is to send it to asus, and i have much fear about it cause the warranty service from asus that we have here is ridicolous and most of people see their products not passing on the warranty with lots of money to pay (and spedition costs if you refuse) and lots of times coming back with the same problems.

That's why i was trying to find a solution myself, but it seems i have no choices.
    Last edited by sgsrecords; 12-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sgsrecords View Post
    it is not a heat problem, if it goes under 50% the problem happens even if i turn it on after hours.

Kayko described exactly my situation and (maybe not a coincidence) we both have this TAS model.
    I think my only chance is to send it to asus, and i have much fear about it cause the warranty service from asus that we have here is ridicolous and most of people see their products not passing on the warranty with lots of money to pay (and spedition costs if you refuse) and lots of times coming back with the same problems.

That's why i was trying to find a solution myself, but it seems i have no choices.
    Unfortunately, with the 32 gb model, if they have to factory reset it, you will lose access to the hidden recovery drive and you will gain a recovery partition and lose 8.1 gb free space on the C: drive. Press them for a new unit.

Did you actually call the Asus support line in your country to troubleshoot and ask them if it is possible to update your BIOS? If they can't solve it (e.g. they can remote control it), they will have you send it in with a Return Authorization Number for tracking. Don't just send it to them without any advanced notice or they may lose it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy Shutdown every 30 minutes!

(bear with me, new guy) I have a t100ta with a similar shutdown problem. Got this for my son @ walmart new. after some 4-5 months he started complaining of random shutdowns. At first I figured probably malware. scanned with updated malwarebytes, nothing found. it's built in antivirus reports nothing. now, it's got my attention as a far more serious problem. Now the the recommendation I see a lot from here and others is: RETURN IT. Call me paranoid, but, this t100 is just chock full of me & my sons passwords etc. my belief is if the average joe like myself has the software & ability to purge long since deleted info off any hard drive, anyone really hell bent on doing so CAN & WILL. So, returning is not an option. past warranty now.
    Back to my problem. ive tried much info posted in this fine forum. At this point, im wavering between believing this is software, or a hardware defect. I have to say the one glimmering hope that this MAY be a software problem is....the shutdowns occur.......EXACTLY EVERY 30 MINUTES! ive run different temperature programs. they all never read above aprox. 50 or so degrees, even when stressed with cpu test. I run a program timer & handheld. 30 minutes. here's a list of what I can remember trying(sorry-chemo-brain): Of course the first thing I did when bought was update from win 8.0 to 8.1. therefore when I went to do a full format & recovery. recovery failed. didn't know at the time upgrade to 8.1 broke recovery. I went ahead downloading win 8.1 from Microsoft instead. keeping in mind the hard drive still had win 8.1 WITH the office student I paid for. with a fresh copy of win 8.1, went ahead and fired it up.(the install restarts so never reached the dreaded 30 min. mark.) with timer in hand, I waited anxiously for 28, 29, 30....lights out.
    so, this tells me its not windows causing shutdown. which leaves me suspicious of bios, (UEFI-still a grey area to me).......and maybe replacing battery. however im stuck at replacing current bios 313 with the same, see if bios corrupted? and finally if still a no go, install a prior bios 307 to see if any difference. and beyond that replacing the battery even though through all this it never wavers beyond being (showing) full charge). so, right now both programs both in & outside windows has given me the "bios is older than current" and refuses to update with 313 or 307. I apologize for the looong post. Please feel free with any suggestions as i'm on desperation blvd. Thanks in advance.
    here's the specifics, Off the box:
    ASUS T100TA-C1-GRMMC
    CPU INTEL Z3740 (BYT-T)BGA
    P/N 90NB0451-M00030
    O.S WIN 8.1 32 BIT
    HDD 64G EMMC
    RAM 2G 1067

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    I don't know if I can help with your 30 minute shut off issue but I can clarify some points.

1. The T100 comes stock with Win8.1 not 8. The reset partition will have Win8.1. There is an update "update 1 KB2919355" for Win8.1 that will be a patch that installs after a reset to 8.1.
    2. If you do a full reset, that will take your device to box stock. I don't know 100% but I don't think anyone could search your device to get any personal data after a full reset.
    3. There is a method, documented in these forums, to flash an older BIOS but 313 should be fine.

Like I said none of those will help the 30 minute shut off issue. Are you 100% sure your battery is good? Does the 30 minute shut down occur when plugged into power? If you're unsure about your battery, go to Casters T100 Guide in my signature and find the section for calibrating your battery.

If you don't get anywhere with the above... I don't normally recommend doing a factory reset of Windows but in your case, to get you back to a baseline, I think that's your only option. Search for "Remove everything and reinstall Windows".
    Last edited by rickscheller; 02-07-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    Caster likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Did a search on "windows shuts down every 30 minutes" quite a few links, like this one. Check your settings.

Laptop shutting off after 30 minutes exactly - Laptops - Laptop Tech Support

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Swipe View Post
    Did a search on "windows shuts down every 30 minutes" quite a few links, like this one. Check your settings.

Laptop shutting off after 30 minutes exactly - Laptops - Laptop Tech Support
    Sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious.
    Caster likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

30 Minute shutdows continued....

ricksheller, I appreciate your clarifications. 20150214_093004.jpg, I took the label on bottom of t100 too literally. While I fully agree a reset would bring back to 100% stock, this level of reset/(or format) would not be even be a challenge for common data recovery software like ie; EaseUS,Totalrecovery, etc. Unless win 8.1 contains forensic erasure capabilities, everything is retrievable.
    Since it looks like i'm snowed in here for the presidents day weekend, will definitely find & utilize the flash methods you mention.
    the unit does indeed shutoff every 30 minutes plugged/unplugged. I am in the process of applying casters t100 battery calibration as I type. Have already applied a factory reset of windows. However because the reset takes longer than 30 minutes......see that paradox?, I end up taking fresh copy of windows 8.1 from Microsoft, (-student office) which works fine, but problem still exists.
    after todays battery conditioning & bios changes, if nothing changes, like you, I am suspicious of the battery.
    Thanks for your input!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Swipe thanks for the link, I have applied"never" to all options regarding power management & shutdown @ administrative level. however, this t100 is hell bent on shutting down. reading these forums beginning to believe I really have a unique case, as everyone LOVES their transformers. Thanks again!

AFX
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    15 times
    glad i found this thread as i have been experiencing the same issue (or almost similar).

i own the original t100ta 32gb SSD w/ keyboard dock and i have been noticing that while i am in the middle of work, my computer shuts down and i have to power it back up. the battery is at a good level when this happens. i thought this could of been power related as sometimes i would plug a usb 3 ethernet adapter into a PoE switch (i work on security cameras) and that there could of been a power spike. however, when i plug in the charging cable this issue does not happen. the other day i was loading some software and it turned off on me. i was plugged into a non PoE switch this time though and was doing nothing else. again battery level was at a good level. i was thinking of doing a restore to see if this would help me out. i have a few months left of warranty but i am worried that i will be given a unit with the recovery partition lost.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links