Thread: Losing HD space constantly help

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Losing HD space constantly help

Hi all, would really appreciate anyone's help please.
    I did a fresh install on my ASUS T100 and had approx 12GB free after installing programs etc.
    I was downloading some software worth 1.8 GB but it failed. Only downloaded 200mb then failed.
    I deleted it from my downloads folder and did a C: disk cleanup but now I've got 9.5GB approx.
    I really don't understand where the approx 2GB went.
    Can anyone please help. Is it downloading windows updates and is there anyway I can get back the space?
    Any advice would be most appreciated.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Please note...

Quote Originally Posted by janner43 View Post
    We now have some experience in dealing with all the different models that are available in the T100 model range. Because there are now many variants, the dedicated Z3775 section has been closed (it only had 11 threads) and the threads moved into the T100 General Discussion area. The Z3775 General "chit chat" thread is retained as a sticky thread.

Because of the number of models there are, please ensure that all new threads are posted with the following information in the opening paragraph of the first post.

• Model number - eg T100TAS, T100TAM or whatever...
    • CPU - eg Z3740 or Z3775 or whatever...
    • Size of memory - 32Gb, 64Gb, 500Gb HDD in dock or whatever...
    • System BIOS number
    • Windows version
    • Location (USA, Canada, UK, Australia etc.) to assist in recommendations for accessories, for example.

Posts that do not follow this protocol will not get the answers you are looking for and may even be ignored by other forum members as correct answers to questions and any advice offered, will be predicated upon that essential information that is listed above.

That said...

I would say this issue is almost certainly down to Windows updates taking up additional space.

But to be fair, there might be something left from your failed download that didn't get cleaned up.

I don't use Windows now (& haven't done so for nearly 10 years) but I do remember this as an issue with every Windows PC... the OS installation simply gets bloated & bigger over time & the only way to really fix it was to do a complete wipe & rebuild.

Others may say this is different now with the more modern iterations of the OS, but I doubt it, somehow.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    The problem is that no one on this forum can look at your T100 besides you, to know what is occupying space to figure out where the space has gone.

Unfortunately, Windows doesn't make it easy to just look at a group of folders and show how much space each folder is occupying to help you figure this out either.

Fortunately someone has created a freeware program to do just that.

Download this program and examine your C: Drive to figure out what is occupying the space.
    Folder Size - Freeware file size analysis. Check the directory sizes, folder sizes and file sizes on your computer with this freeware tree size analysis tool.

So with this tool, you should be able to tell what is occupying space. Is it your downloads? Is it documents? Is it your installed programs? Is it the Windows folder? This tool should be able to tell you to help you figure it out on your own.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thankyou both for your advice.
    I installed another program called treesize free and I think it does a similar job to the above.
    Windows taking up 13.8GB, Program files 3.8GB. 2.2GB is office.
    I understand I cannot install office to my 2GB microsd.
    The other big ones are hyberfile.sys and pagefile.sys. 1.5GB and 1.1 respectively.
    I was trying to disable hibernation but I do not have this option in my power settings?
    Is there anything I can do to retrieve more space?
    Is it worth disabling windows updates and do them manualy if and when required?
    Thanks once again.
    Last edited by j1000; 11-20-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It sounds like something isn't quite right. That's a lot of space for Office, is it Office Pro? Are you using Outlook? If so check the size of your PST file. Also have you used the disk cleanup utility built into Windows? After the first pass of the utility there is an additional cleanup button that will also find Windows update files that may be deleted. I have done that to systems and found multiple GBs of files that can be safely removed.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi leeshor, its the office which came with the device preinstalled.
    Yeah, done disk cleanup many times but nothing but a few mbs to delete.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    It sounds like you have a 32 gb model. It will be a constant battle with disk space. I did change my pagefile to my 64 gb SD card. But I always cringe when there is a 500 mb-1 gb Windows/Office Update. I have shut off automatic updates and only install the important ones. I constantly run Disk Cleanup and like you said, usually 500 mb at the most. I've been hovering around 5-7 gb free with no additional programs installed.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    I posted this before in regards to typical free storage space on the 32GB vs. 64GB models

64GB Model
    MMC Total Capacity=59.6GB
    EFI System partition=100MB
    Recover Partition=900MB
    Recovery Image Partition=8GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 49.1GB
    Approximate Windows 8.1 with updates used Capacity Size= 18GB
    Free Space= 31GB

32GB Model
    MMC Total Capacity=29.8GB
    EFI System partition=100MB
    Recover Partition=700MB
    Recovery Image Partition=0GB
    C: Drive Capacity= 28.2 GB
    Approximate Windows 8.1 with updates used Capacity Size= 18GB
    Free Space= 10.2GB
    *32GB model has an additional 8GB ROM that contains Recovery Image

So if you're seeing about 9.5GB of free space and you have a 32GB model......that actually seems just about right.
    rickscheller, janner43 and eejit like this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all for you advice regarding this. Yep, I have the 32GB model with 500GB HD.
    Hyberfile.sys takes up 1.5GB. But the tick box option is not showing in power settings? Even on advance options.
    I checked the registry and it is enabled and I also installed classic shell and hibernation is listed there.
    Will it be safe to delete this or would you advise to delete this?
    Cheers again.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    So let me get this straight. You have 9.5GB of free space left compared to a typical 10.2GB. You don't seem to be reporting any problems in regards to having to free up more space and now you want to know if it's alright to delete a 1.5GB file without doing any research of your own to 1st understand what the purpose of that file may be?

Sure sounds good.....go ahead, wipe out that Hiberfile.sys 1.5GB file since those big files just laying around are usually just bloat anyways. While you're at it, I would throw that folder named "Windows" in the trash can as well, because I'm willing to bet that will free up a bunch of space also. I can confirm once you do either of those items my T100 will still work fine so you should be good to go.

Maybe a better suggestion I would also consider if your object is to create more free space, is visiting the local electronic retail store and picking up something called a "micro SD card" and look for the one that has "64GB" stamped on it and then plugging that into the side of your T100. I heard they even make ones that say 128GB on them and feel pretty confident that might give you even more free space.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-21-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links