Thread: Losing HD space constantly help

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Hmmm. I've never seen a "new" 32 gb before. You will have a recovery partition but it is usually hidden. It kind of looks like you have factory reset it, however. I would say if you can assign your paging file to another drive, you would be at 5-6 gb, which I think would be normal (at least that is what I have). It will be a constant battle with keeping your disk cleaned up. I really think 32 gb is too small for full Windows and MS needs to restrict the size of updates and the OS. Especially if they plan to unite Windows and use it on phones as well.

How exactly did you get this device? It should be clearly stated if a refurb or not. If you have a return path, I'd try it and maybe opt for a 64 gb model.
    It should definitely not be refurbished, I got it from FNAC in Spain, but there is no chance to get the 64gb as it wasn't available in the first place.... ( I would have gotten it otherwise... )
    Even moving the paging file, I would still be under 5gb. Considering I've disabled hibernation and have literally no files saved, that still seems like very little?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Well, it is not looking like RedNRoll's description. You should have ~28 gb total space on C:. It must have been wiped at one point for the recovery partition to show up on C:. That is at least with US models. You can try what I said with post #26 and copy the recovery partition to USB and delete it for 8 gb more space. However, there are risks with the functioning of the USB recovery. I even consulted with ASUS support about doing this and they said not to. So there maybe something I don't know about or they maybe ultraconservative. Like I said, I have a copy of Windows 8 to fall back on. I had to do it for the space.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    This is why WIMBoot is now an option, properly used you can even get a W8 install below 4GB in size, and for Windows 10 the OS will become scalable and simply not install what it doesn't need, like the full desktop for mobile devices... The WP OS is actually going to get merged with RT, minus the desktop, to cover mobile devices under Windows 10... While tablets and similar will prioritize the modern/Metro side and finally desktops on up will prioritize the desktop side... They're even going to finally start replacing WinME for PDA devices and to cover the Internet of Things ranges with Windows 10, and the XBox will be thrown in as well before they're done... While W8 Server already allows you to optionally remove the GUI, or put it back without re-installing each time, and work just from command line but will be even more customizable and scalable under Windows 10...
    Yes, the only other option is the WIMBoot but I have not had the courage to do that yet. As it is, I won't have much on the machine ever so I guess it won't be too hard to reload everything. LOL. I bet you mean WinCE. That was what Windows Mobile (phone) was based off of for barcode readers and other enterprise devices. But WinCE had the same problem as WP and RT. While it had a smaller footprint, it wouldn't run standard Windows programs.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    Yes, the only other option is the WIMBoot but I have not had the courage to do that yet. As it is, I won't have much on the machine ever so I guess it won't be too hard to reload everything. LOL. I bet you mean WinCE. That was what Windows Mobile (phone) was based off of for barcode readers and other enterprise devices. But WinCE had the same problem as WP and RT. While it had a smaller footprint, it wouldn't run standard Windows programs.
    Yup, typo, but the only thing they're really pushing to be usable on all devices for Windows 10 will be the Modern/Metro apps... traditional desktop apps will still be just for the desktop but they'll combine the WP and RT parts of the App Store and hopefully the wider market should help get more developers interested in making apps to get a better range of apps but MS is also pushing their cloud services, along with other companies like Adobe also pushing cloud services and that should give more options on a greater range of devices as well...

The Modern/Metro apps will take up less space as well and will be easier to run, along with being the only apps you can really use on smaller devices anyway and the Modern/Metro are universal apps as well... So it doesn't matter if you are running them on Intel x86 or ARM based devices, which covers everything from smart phones to tablets... and that should also help increase market share that the should attract more developers... as these at least will no longer be separate market segments but a combined one...

Anyway, you'd need at least 5GB free, or more, to handle updates, etc. before you even have to worry about how many apps you want to install, never mind the recommended keeping half the drive empty for peak drive performance, and in addition to not using WIMBoot for 64GB and larger drives they also start enabling features that start using up more drive space... Like OneDrive starts mirroring data on your local drive, among other changes...

Though, just making sure you don't need the recovery partition and placing that on a external USB drive saves you at least 8GB and there are utilities like CCleaner, along with its competitor apps, that help make keeping junk file build up under control and much easier to keep up with...
    Last edited by zeo; 12-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by monstarika View Post
    Oops, thank you!
    Yes, it has an 8gb recovery partition. What should I do?
    Attachment 8103

In the meantime, the pagefile keeps growing, which would explain the oscillating gigs. It's now at 2.39 gb....
    Yep, that's what I was looking for. Unless Asus stopped putting the ROM for the recovery partition on the 32GB model, then that looks like a refurbed partition.

Here's what a 32GB model typically looks like:

Notice the C: Drive is just over 28GB compared to the 20.9GB yours is showing. You will also notice "Disk1", which is the 8GB ROM which contains the Recovery partition, where your recovery partition is taking up 8GB on "Disk 0", thus reducing the overall size of your C: Drive.

It also looks like you have the 32GB model which contains the 500GB HDD in the keyboard. So maybe that is why it's different also? Maybe they don't include the 8GB ROM Recovery partition for the models that have the 500GB HDD keyboard option?

You can gain about 6-8GB of C: Drive space doing what fiax_lux outlined earlier. Windows has a function in it, where you can essentially move the recovery partition to an external USB stick and then reclaim the recovery partition for your C: Drive.

However, I notice in your C: Drive partition, it says "WIM Boot", which means you should have much more free space than than the 2GB you're seeing. It seems like you must have a Full Windows install on your C: drive and Also the 8GB partition for WIMBOOT. So something is definitely not right and since your T100 seems to be configured for WIM BOOT, you won't be able to move that recovery partition

Put it this way, I just purchased another 16GB Windows tablet which is using WIM Boot and it also shows the C: Drive with that "WIM Boot" label on it, and I've got 3GB of free space after Windows updates.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 12-13-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)
    Transformer Pad TF701t (K00C,CPU:Tegra 4 1.9Ghz,32GB,Android 4.4.2)
    Transform Pad TF103CE (CPU: Baytrail-T Z3745 1.33Ghz,16GB,Android 5.0)
    (4)MeMO Pad HD7 (ME173X/ME173L,CPU:MediaTek MT8125 1.2GHz,16/8GB,Android 4.2.2)
    Ultrabook 15.6 (N53SN,CPU:Core i7-2630QM 2.0Ghz,750GB,Win7 Ult 64bit)

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Here's something else and I'm not sure if it pertains to some of the problems discussed here. As I mentioned in my previous post, I have another tablet which has Windows installed using the Wim Boot method.

It only has 16GB of onboard memory and before yesterday, I had just about 3.2GB of free space. Someone asked me how long the battery life was on this tablet playing a movie where I ran a test and played movies until the tablet shut down from a low battery condition. Today, I noticed when I started this tablet that my 3.2GB of free space was now at 250MB of free space. So 3GB of free space seemed to disappear overnight. I ran Disk Clean up thinking maybe there's a huge file that got created from the PC shutting down due to the low battery, where Disk Cleanup didn't get me anymore free space. So it seems I also had 3GB of free space just disappear and don't know how to get it back or where it went. My suspicion is that it has something to do with a low battery suspend operation.
    Last edited by Rednroll; 12-13-2014 at 02:14 PM.
    Transformer Book T100TA (T100TA-C1-GR,CPU:Baytrail Z3740 1.3Ghz,64GB,BIOS:313,WIN 8.1)

Asus USA Social Media Team
    Member #
    Tablet
    Uncategorised
    Liked
    154 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbify View Post
    Hey, I figured I'd post in here as to not clutter space.
    I'm having the same problem! As some of you may know, I had a heck of a time setting up my T100 and had to "refresh" it a few times, anyways when I first got it it had 15GB free, but I just noticed after I've refreshed it a few times, I now only have 6GB free, and I have pretty much no apps and no desktop programs installed. I have tried deleting recovery points, disk clean up, ccleaner, etc. and nothing. I used a program to discover what was taking up all the space but they are system files. WINSXS is taking up 14GB and I have a few random files taking up another 7GB, does this mean I kinda have to deal with it as it seems they are system files, or is there anyway to reduce the space taking up? I plan on getting an SD card but don't have any cash at the moment.

Model: T100TA
    CPU: Z3740
    Memory: 32GB
    BIOS: v313

(I think Janner will be very proud of me for putting my specs there. :P)

Pebbify - We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue and will be more than happy to assist you . Based on your description it could be your antivirus software creating backups or logs of processes. You can have that checked out and if it does not work email us at socialsupportus@asus.com with your details, serial number and contact information to troubleshoot further.

Thank you.
    rickscheller and leeshor like this.
    Asus USA is a social support channel for North American purchasers. UK users requiring warranty support should contact their retailer. For other geographic locations, please check your product documentation or the Asus website for your locality and follow the support section instructions.

Transformer Forums is a privately owned "user to user" forum and is not affiliated with ASUSTeK Computer Inc in any way.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    Here's something else and I'm not sure if it pertains to some of the problems discussed here. <snip>
    It seems this did not pertain. When I looked back at my Windows update history, it seems I had Windows automatic updates turned on, where it updated Windows as well as MS Office Pro I had installed, even though I had Office installed on my D: Drive. Those updates seems to have gobbled up 3GB of free space without me knowing it.

Something interesting however, MicroCenter sent me an Email with a link to a program which got me back just over 2GB of free space on my WinBook Tablet, even after I had run Disk Cleanup multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroCenter Online Product Notification
    WinBook has an important update to share regarding your WinBook TW700 Tablet.

Due to the size of the full versions of the Microsoft OS and Office included with the new WinBook tablets, some users have experienced low available disk space after completing the MS Office installation and latest OS updates. While we cannot impact the size or frequency of updates released by Microsoft, the WinBook team has developed a utility that will increase the available storage space on your 7” WinBook tablet by about 2GB. Installing and running the utility is quick and should only take about 2 minutes, and does not negatively impact any of your applications.

To obtain and run this utility, please follow these steps:
    1. Click on the link below to open the download page from our website: http://www.microcentertech.com/winbook/WBOptimize.exe
    2. Select “Save” and the utility will download.............
    So yeah, I only had about 400MB of free space on C: and then downloaded and ran the WinBook utility and I'm now back to 2.8GB of free space. How about a similar T100 utility?
    Last edited by Rednroll; 12-23-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    419 times
    How about a similar T100 utility?
    Do you suppose this utility could be run on the T100?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    Support thread related to the above WBoptimize utility --- Micro Center Tech Support Online ? View topic - WBOptimize from microcenter(free up drive space)

From one of the posts in the thread:
    1. It simply reduces the size of the page file.
    2. Disables and removes the hibernation file.
    If that's all this truly does, perform these steps manually.
    T100TAM 64GB, Bios v205

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links