Thread: Keyboard shuts off on shift, fn, Ctrl or windows

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Keyboard shuts off on shift, fn, Ctrl or windows

I can't find any record of others having this problem and it's making me insane:

Have used t100 now for about six months without issue. Out of nowhere now the keyboard is acting up: it works until I hit one of either shift key, either fn key, either control key or the windows key. After that, none of the keys work. Popping the keyboard off and reattaching it corrects the issue, until, that is, I have to hit one of those keys again (shift is obviously the biggest issue). Trackpad never stops working, nor does the onscreen popup keyboard. If I attach a USB keyboard that also works just fine.

Any ideas? I'd almost think I unknowingly broke a section of the keypad, but keys around the offending keys (on opposite sides of the keyboard) like the space bar, arrow keys etc aren't having problems.

For what it's worth, I let windows update right before the problem started, but not sure how that could cause this.

So far, I've been scratching my head and trying restarts.

Very grateful for any help!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    415 times
    Check "filter keys" and make sure it's OFF.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    filter keys are off. no luck.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    more info- i think its a hardware issue, since it impacts my keys in bios too, though only if i hit one of the offending modifier keys first.

function keys seem to be uneffected by the lockout, and i can actually get my keyboard back by hitting f12, but again only until i hit one of the modifier keys.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    162 times
    I would do a system factory reset to see if that fixes the problem and if you still have the same problem at that point, then you know it's a hardware issue since you now have your T100 at a point of when you 1st purchased it and you already know it worked correctly at that point before.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    I would do a system factory reset to see if that fixes the problem and if you still have the same problem at that point, then you know it's a hardware issue since you now have your T100 at a point of when you 1st purchased it and you already know it worked correctly at that point before.
    No luck there either. I'm giving up and shipping it off to ASUS. It's pretty clearly a hardware issue.

My biggest complaint with this machine to date is that I can't just order a replacement keyboard. Shipping the whole machine off and making do without it for two weeks seems dumb when the likely solution is going to be popping out one keypad and plugging in another. It's a five minute fix if you're really slow about it.

Oh well.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    162 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney0361 View Post
    No luck there either. I'm giving up and shipping it off to ASUS. It's pretty clearly a hardware issue.

My biggest complaint with this machine to date is that I can't just order a replacement keyboard. Shipping the whole machine off and making do without it for two weeks seems dumb when the likely solution is going to be popping out one keypad and plugging in another. It's a five minute fix if you're really slow about it.

Oh well.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
    Sometimes you need to put the other sides shoes on and think of it through their perspective.

You currently think it's a faulty keyboard but really you're not certain, thus the reason you started this thread to find out more. So let's say you ship back the the keyboard only and then Asus investigates and finds nothing wrong with it and then ships the keyboard back to you. Would you be happy? Or let's say they ship you a replacement keyboard and you still observe the same problem. Would you be happy then, or would you be on here complaining that Asus doesn't know what they're doing?

What if it's not the keyboard at all and it's a connection on the Tablet side between the keyboard and the tablet?

Wouldn't you think it's better to send both sides of the equation so Asus can confirm the problem you're experiencing and be able to fix the correct faulty part?

That would be my preference.

Sure it is most likely a problem with the keyboard, but that's only a speculation with nothing confirming it on your part.
    rickscheller and DKL like this.

DKL
    Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    32 times
    Also, save an external backup of your data before sending the tablet to ASUS
    rickscheller likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    415 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DKL View Post
    Also, save an external backup of your data before sending the tablet to ASUS
    Or better yet, create a full system image. Try Macrium Reflect, I hear it works well.
    DKL likes this.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I am facing the same problem with ASUS T100 T model. Keyboard shuts off after pressing shift, ctrl, alt or windows logo key. After that i need to reconnect the keyboard to get the keys to work. Have you found a solution. Please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links