Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: microsd disapearing a lot, does anyone else have this?easy to replace sd card reader?

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAvarice View Post
    After getting my t100 (openBox newegg... thinking no warranty on the asus side) I inserted a microsd card into my tablet. Went in fine, Read/write perfect. When I attempted remove the card it pushed in slightly, and did not click. I released it and it moved back to its original position. After nearly killing my sdcard I managed to pry it out of the device. With the sd card clicking into properly, and still holding spring tension what could be causing it to not release when pushed in? Since I imagine I have no warranty with asus (Ill be looking into the warranty card to makesure) I am wondering if anyone else has a similar issue and if there is any fixes for it.(other than running a razer blade down the back of the card until you are able to get a grip on it with tweasers)
    The card goes all the way in (can barely feel it at the side of the device) and once in the card is pushed hard toward the screen leaving a gap towards the back of the tablet, Is something bent?
    Try to register it on the Asus website. If it has been registered, the warranty may not be transferable but I would still ask them. Chances are that, with an open box, the original owner did not register it so you are entitled to the full warranty. Although warranty will not cover user misuse/damage so don't mention that you pryed the SD card out. Just say you are having trouble with it and would like to have it looked at.

The SD card should just pop out, though. Have you tried to push with your fingernail and do a quick release? Don't ever force or pry anything out on these types of devices.
    Last edited by fiat_lux; 10-23-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    @fiat_lux
    I do know the basics of how a sdcard reader works, With the way the sdcard came out there was actually no latching mechanism in place. The only thing keeping the card in place is the friction caused by how hard the card is held to the case, later that day when I was unfolding the tablet from the dock the sdcard actually shot out at its own volition, I'm really glad I happened to have my hand in front of the sdcard slot or the card would have never been seen again. (Hmm if the structure of my sentence sounds like I'm being defensive and irritated at you... rest assured I am not, and am thankful for your helpful post) When you say a quick-release I imagine you mean put light pressure on the card than allow the spring to propel the card out (well lets try that, HOLY, there a card hitting my wall... I really thought that would do nothing, Over confidence nearly got me. good thing it was over my desk and didn't disappear somewhere, card still operational) While placing the sdcard into the device, there is only one click In every other locking mechanism I've used there was two clicks, I'm thinking the second part of the spring mechanism is toast. unfortunately there is already some marks around the sd card slot when I got it and I added couple myself before I found a better tool, chances are they would just decide to charge me a 100$ inspection charge and offer to repair the sdcard reader for 150$ :P.
    Having never sent something in for repairs in my life i know NOTHING about the process and how it works, My only experience is watching somebody else do it, which came back improperly grounded touchscreen digitizer.

Quick-release actually worked!? I love being surprised sometimes, seems so simple, I'm remembering that one... Now only if the card didn't just decide to shoot out for no apparent reason that one time, If I solve that one I may actually not return the device.

@janner43
    Understandably you are not accepting pm's so Ill put this here. I really thought I did search, Ill blame irritation, being tired and almost never using forums. I sure hope I was searching the wrong forum or something I didn't lose the basic ability to search a forum. Thank you for taking your time to transfer my posts to nearly perfect threads.
    Last edited by LordAvarice; 10-23-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    janner43 likes this.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    We are all here just to try and help and not pass judgement on anyone's tech abilities. I've had experiences where card readers just insert and you use the little notch at the end to pull them out. Then there are the spring loaded type. Point is they can all operate slightly different. But never force and no special "tools" are required. It is a common complaint that the release mechanism launches the card in the air. That's pretty normal.

As for Asus support, I'd urge you to register and activate the warranty if you decide to keep it. I'm not impressed with their customer support and I've read some horror stories on the forum. But the general procedure is email or call in the problem. They will do some troubleshooting with you. If they can't fix it, they will have you send it back with some cost estimate. Don't know if they take care of the shipping or not. I've had warranty repair with other manufacturers that send prepaid boxes. Hopefully your device is still OK.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fiat_lux View Post
    It is a common complaint that the release mechanism launches the card in the air. That's pretty normal.
    Indeed , but I've never used one that requires you to launch it out :P If this is a design feature Ill eat my boot. When pressing the card back in there is absolutely no sound and upon releasing it just returns to the seated position. Only by trying to launch it out using the spring force does it move. Somethings definitely broken, I'll be finishing the registration process later ... if I decide to keep the device. I'm just happy the spring force is enough to force it out. I own a finicky idolian tablet, and several other microsd card utilizing devices. The spring force on all of them is quite high and normal.

I have to ask, what did you mean by a quick release? Just want to know if my guess is right.

Other than the card reader the device is operating perfectly. Actually the card reader is just fine, it's just the locking mechanism. I really want to thank you for the advice, It was helpful.

[UPDATE]
    Upon *further inspection of my device I discovered small a small lip of plastic on the hole in the casing for the sdcard reader, on the screen side. Let me emphasize on the little part. This plastic looked extremely out of place because of it's unfinished edge. So I removed it with a razor blade, it's too bad my dremel was to large and would risk getting plastic in my device. This small bit of plastic was not allowing the card to seat into the locking mechanism because of the constant forward pressure. The locking mechanism now works perfectly, and I imagine since the card actually locks now that my card won't decide to go leaping from my device for no reason now (the reason being a slight torsion applied to my device allowing the card to slip past this unfinished plastic and launch out. Because the unfinished edge would catch it from time to time)

*further inspection
    inserting and ejecting(launching into waiting hand) a sdcard while thinking if I want the device or not, on the tenth insert the card actually clicked into place properly, than got stuck when attempt to eject, than I saw the offending plastic.

I highly recommend not attempting to do this to your device as you could make it worse, also there are allot a delicate electronics in that area, and metal things and contact points don't mix. I just had to post it here because I may not be the only one with this problem, and sending it to asus may do nothing because the problem may lie in a faulty plastic cast. Wish I would have taken a picture of it... Wish I had a camera that could take a macro shot.

P.S. the card now sticks further out of the device.

Thank you fiat_lux, Without the "launch card out of device" technique I would have never noticed the problem.
    Last edited by LordAvarice; 10-23-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    103 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAvarice View Post

I have to ask, what did you mean by a quick release? Just want to know if my guess is right.
    Yes, you got it right. Hard to explain. The fingernail gives a bit more localized pressure than the fleshy part of your finger, which tends to give. Then release the pressure quickly. I suppose you can control it more when you get used to it so that the card doesn't fly out of the slot. LOL. It is mainly just to release the card from the locking mechanism anyway. Glad you got it to work somewhat reliably. I will agree that the card slot is a weakness in the T100 design as well as the plastic body and wifi. But I guess they had to cut costs somewhere. I am generally OK with Asus quality as I do have the Nexus 2012/2013 as well and I recommended the MeMOpad to my brother.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links