Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

T100 won't boot except to boot manager

Hi all,
    I have a TF Book T100 that I bought last Christmas. I have been using it with the keyboard dock frequently and with no problems for months. Battery life is still exceptional and I have had no system failures or crashes. It was working perfectly well last Thursday. I didn't download any new apps or software that day, and I didn't do any physical damage to it either, but the next day it wouldn't boot at all. If I hold down the power button, the backlight of the screen comes on and it sort of flickers, but nothing else happens, the screen remains black. I thought the power was drained, even though it had been plugged in overnight, but even after another overnight charge and another day-long charge in a different outlet, the same thing is still happening.

I tried a hard boot by holding down the volume and power keys, and got the tablet to respond and take me to the Windows Boot Manager. But when I exit the boot manager it just exits and then starts it right up again. So the bottom line is, I can't boot up the tablet except to the Boot Manager, and then I can't get out of the Boot Manager short of turning the tablet off again.

Is there anything to be done? Does this sound like a hardware problem? Obviously it's charged and the screen is working because I can get to the Boot Manager, but beyond that I'm completely helpless. I'm abroad in China right now and will be for the next three months, so I can't send it off for repairs, and I kind of need this tablet for my work here! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Clarification: By "Windows Boot Manager," do you mean a screen that is actually titled "Windows Boot Manager," or are you talking about the "Please select boot device" window (similar to the one below):

(This is accessed via either the Volume Down + Power Button or "Esc" key + Power Button combinations.)

With the keyboard docked, have you tried holding down F9 while holding the tablet's Power Button (and releasing the Power Button once the white camera light turns on)? This should launch the Windows Recovery Environment, which will start with a "Startup Repair" screen asking you to "choose an account to continue" and your user account should be listed. [Edit: The screen should look something like this (AnandTech.com). For some reason, the Windows RE was going straight to the Startup Repair screen when I was writing this up originally.]

Quote Originally Posted by lizsb View Post
    Is there anything to be done? Does this sound like a hardware problem?
    It sounds as if the T100 can "POST" (Power-On, Self-Test) successfully, but is failing at loading Windows. Without more specifics and clarifications, it is hard to say what the actual issue is. This could be as minor as corrupted boot files, or something significantly worse, such as the internal flash drive biting the dust. If you can directly boot into the Windows Recovery Environment as described above, then that should rule out a complete failure of the internal flash drive.

The potential good news is that the device's BIOS seems to be functional, so you should be able to boot recovery and rescue media, such as a Windows Recovery USB Drive (Microsoft.com) or a Windows PE rescue drive, such as those created by Macrium Reflect Free.

If you have any important files on the T100 that are not backed-up elsewhere, and/or you do not have a recent back-up image of the system drive, then it would be a very good idea to use a drive imaging program such as Macrium Reflect Free (via its Windows PE environment) to make such back-ups before really tinkering with the tablet. And, if a drive imaging program can access the internal system drive and successfully create a system image back-up, then that would rule out a total failure of the T100's internal flash drive.

[Edit: After re-reading the OP's post, it sounds as if the OP can attempt to launch the "Windows Boot Manager" via the screen image above, but Windows fails to properly load and the OP is getting an error screen titled "Windows Boot Manager." E.g., similar to this image (Lenovo.com).]
    Last edited by Just_Here; 09-24-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: corrected a spurious observation concerning the Windows RE
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAF
    Liked
    0 times
    What if u are locked out of T100TAF by bitlocker which you bought second handed can you do anything to get just an empty pc regardless the data that is by completely erasing the memory and everything?????

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links