Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Safe Windows Updates? / Reset Problems

  1. #1
    Soundwave
    Member #
    71263
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    3 times

    Safe Windows Updates? / Reset Problems

    So, I just got my Transformer Book back from the repair depot, and I've been fighting with Windows Update for about a week.

    I've tried doing a bulk install of all of them using the regular Windows process. (That didn't work, crashings and blue-screen can't boot problems abound.

    I've tried doing each update manually, restarting when it says it's necessary. Some are fine, some cause another crash, some lead to a situation where it boots fine, but loading the user turns into a black screen where I can't do anything.

    What I'm wondering is: are there any safe updates? Are there any recommended processes for getting from factory-reset to an updated machine, safe for the web?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    72337
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    USA
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    1,812
    Liked
    417 times
    In my experience, I've never not installed a Windows update except Bing exclusive updates. I've also installed all optional updates. So IMHO, I'd say they're all safe. In fact I'm 100% up to date right now.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

  3. #3
    Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    12453
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Posts
    14,013
    Liked
    2825 times
    I don't like to say this, but it looks to me like another example of a botched repair... we have heard of this before on the forum...

    PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

    Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

    Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

    Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

    Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

  4. #4
    Ratchet
    Member #
    66690
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    115
    Liked
    42 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    In my experience, I've never not installed a Windows update except Bing exclusive updates. I've also installed all optional updates. So IMHO, I'd say they're all safe. In fact I'm 100% up to date right now.
    Only MS one not installed was the latest Broadcom that wrecked the camera, apart from that all now installed and everything working OK - touch wood !!!
    rickscheller likes this.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    72337
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    USA
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    1,812
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by exitguy View Post
    Only MS one not installed was the latest Broadcom that wrecked the camera, apart from that all now installed and everything working OK - touch wood !!!
    Windows update kept foisting Broadcom driver .207 on me until I set it to ignore. However with recent revelations over in the Wifi Tips and Tricks forum, I just updated to Broadcom driver .207 this past weekend and my jury is still out but I can always roll back to 97.168(MS). So far it seems promising but it sounds like I need to test my camera... exitguy, any pointers as to what does/doesn't work with the camera?

    Now back to the OP's concern.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

  6. #6
    Soundwave
    Member #
    71263
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    3 times
    I've been fighting with these updates for so long that I just don't trust that they're not going to break the machine. I don't want to send it back for repair because, well, if they couldn't do it right the first time... But I'm not sure what options I've got...

    Just last night, I restored Windows back to basics, and then started manually installing updates again. An Asus rep said over email that it's a Windows problem, but my desktop machine isn't exhibiting these issues. This is all very frustrating.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    72337
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    USA
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    1,812
    Liked
    417 times
    Describe in detail what you mean by "manually installing updates"?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

  8. #8
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    64427
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Posts
    1,249
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TypewriterJason View Post
    I've been fighting with these updates for so long that I just don't trust that they're not going to break the machine. I don't want to send it back for repair because, well, if they couldn't do it right the first time... But I'm not sure what options I've got...

    Just last night, I restored Windows back to basics, and then started manually installing updates again. An Asus rep said over email that it's a Windows problem, but my desktop machine isn't exhibiting these issues. This is all very frustrating.
    I did have an issue with the order in which updates were installed originally on my T100 that kept crashing it. I can't find the FAQ on Asus website now, but it was an update that needed to be installed prior to the November and December patch round up releases. Apparently, at least for a time, windows update was exposing the updates in the wrong order.

    That said, this far on, I'd think that MS had that fixed and things should be updated in the proper order. One thing you can do if doing this manually is look at the descriptions and dates on the updates. Yes, I know it is a lot. However, try installing the earliest updates first, up through maybe early december. Do not do the round-up updates yet. Once those early updates are done, if everything is working fine (and do NOT install the driver updates yet), then try the November round up. Then the december round up. If still working, proceed to try to install the other updates as windows update in bulk.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    72337
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    USA
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Posts
    1,812
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    I did have an issue with the order in which updates were installed originally on my T100 that kept crashing it. I can't find the FAQ on Asus website now, but it was an update that needed to be installed prior to the November and December patch round up releases. Apparently, at least for a time, windows update was exposing the updates in the wrong order.

    That said, this far on, I'd think that MS had that fixed and things should be updated in the proper order. One thing you can do if doing this manually is look at the descriptions and dates on the updates. Yes, I know it is a lot. However, try installing the earliest updates first, up through maybe early december. Do not do the round-up updates yet. Once those early updates are done, if everything is working fine (and do NOT install the driver updates yet), then try the November round up. Then the december round up. If still working, proceed to try to install the other updates as windows update in bulk.
    If I didn't need the capabilities Windows provides, I'd go with Android tablets and never look back. It's so annoying that Windows OS updates roll in at a torrential rate as compared to Android OS updates.

    IMHO, I would advise anyone, that - unless you have a real need or think you'll at some point need the Windows OS on your mobile device (tablet), save yourself the frustration and get an Android device. The new Galaxy Notes are looking pretty sweet.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

  10. #10
    Soundwave
    Member #
    71263
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Posts
    16
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    Describe in detail what you mean by "manually installing updates"?
    I turn off the automatic updating feature and go into the control panel, check under updates, and then look at the list of available updates. From there, I'll select the updates using a checkbox feature.

    I'm going to try the date-based method described by azazel1024, and see how that goes.

    P.S.
    I love the device; I think the screen is great, the keyboard is fine and the battery life is killer. If only Linux was fully operational on it! (I've already played with getting Linux on it, and although it's possible, it's not reliably functional, leaving me with Windows...)

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. 2/11/14 Windows 8.1 Updates
    By rscheller in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 04:13 AM
  2. Which Windows updates are safe?
    By Nivling in forum Asus Transformer Book T100 Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM
  3. Is It Safe to Install the OTA Updates Yet
    By jpcalhoun in forum Transformer Prime General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
  4. Removing updates with factory reset
    By donnanovak in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
  5. Removing updates with factory reset
    By donnanovak in forum Asus Transformer (TF101) FAQ
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.