Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times

Cannot boot Windows 8.1 - Windows can't detect its install partition

Since an automatic Windows update a few weeks ago, my Asus T100 has failed to boot, not even into Windows recovery. After using a bootable USB - to which I had to add the drivers for my hard drive - I got into the command line and used diskpart to discover that it no longer detects the volumes or partitions on my hard drive, and so cannot boot into windows.

Strangely, if I choose to start installing Windows from the USB drive, the 'custom install' option can detect all the partitions - system, recovery, primary, the whole lot. All the other recovery options fail because they cannot detect the OS.

Is there a way to remount the volumes so that the system will detect them and therefore boot the existing Windows installation?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF701
    Liked
    2 times
    My answers are from a windows perspective rather than a T100 but may help. The T100 may not have all these options.
    Can you hit the special function key at bootup to get into the BIOS settings? Check the settting that tell it to boot from disk/cd/usb etc.
    What if you hit the other special bootup function key that allows you to choose which device to boot from, can you select the disk and will it boot?
    Is the correct partition marked bootable? (you will need to run up windows or linux from another medium to check this)
    Having run windows from a USB you may be able to rebuild the boot table (you would normally do this from a recovery partition). Search the internet for details on diskpart and bootsect.exe. Be careful, these commands can wipe your disk.
    TF701T with Dock running Android 4.3 (rooted with Towelroot V1.0, SuperSU), HTC Touch 2 Phone with Windows Mobile 6.5, Fujitsu Pocket Look N560 PDA with Windows Mobile 5.0

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Can you hit F9 at boot time (before anything even appers on the screen, the moment the little camera LED lights up to show it is powering) to get in to the recovery mode? Might take a try or two.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't get into recovery mode unless I boot from the usb drive - it boots instantly into the BIOS otherwise.

And anyway, once I get into recovery mode from the usb drive, none of the recovery options work because they can't see the windows installation, because they can't see the volume or partitions on my hard drive. The BIOS doesn't have my hard drive as a boot option.

diskpart can see the drive, but not the volumes or partitions. The only thing that sees the volume and partitions is when I go to actually install Windows again (and only after I downloaded the pack of T100 drivers from the ASUS website and added them to the usb drive).

So basically, something has gone wrong with my hard drive or boot loader etc., but I can't figure out how to use diskpart or bootsect.exe to fix it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    If it is completely not letting you reformat and reinstall using a USB install drive, my best guess is that the eMMC inside the T100 went mammary glands up (IE died) and sadly an RMA to Asus for a warranty repair.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I would be able to reinstall Windows from the USB drive, since I can start the process and it can see the current Windows partition, as well as the recovery ones. I would prefer not to do that, though; I wish it would just recognise the installation that is already there.

Since the install process can see the partitions, I believe it's possible to fix it, I just don't know how.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magarnicle View Post
    I think I would be able to reinstall Windows from the USB drive, since I can start the process and it can see the current Windows partition, as well as the recovery ones. I would prefer not to do that, though; I wish it would just recognise the installation that is already there.

Since the install process can see the partitions, I believe it's possible to fix it, I just don't know how.
    If you can't get in to windows and it won't recognize the restore partitions when attempting to do it from a USB boot drive, then there isn't likely to be a way to do it. If you could get in to windows it would be possible to try to point at the current restore partition, but that would also necessitate that windows can see them from inside windows.

Since you can't get in, the BIOS doesn't currently seem to recognize booting from the eMMC and the USB boot drive also doesn't seem to see them, I think you are up a creek on this one. I think you are going to have to try to install from the USB boot drive and hope it'll work.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links