Thread: Strange SD Card behaviour

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Strange SD Card behaviour

Ok, so before this thread gets merged into the main SD card thread, I believe that this may need a bit of particular attention first.

Now, I bougt a 64gb qumox card on ebay. I have been using this card in the SD slot for some time now, a few months at least, as an additional storage drive.
    Out of nowhere, the laptop starting playing up, it would boot, log in and then go to a black blank screen with just a cursor. I'd try to open task manager and it would just crash, even if I tried to shutdown or restart it would still just hand and not do anything.

After trial and error, I've discovered that the whole issue was down to the 64gb card in the SD slot, as soon as I remove the card, the laptop springs back into life and works a treat.
    The card works fine in every other computer when used in a card reader, even in the T100 USB port it works fine when in a card reader. I've formatted, deleted partitions, re-partioned, NTFS, exFAT, scanned for errors and it's absolutely fine. It just wont work in the SD slot on the computer.

The strange thing about it is that I've used other SD cards in the SD slot, an 8gb and a 16gb sd card, both working fine in the slot. It's just the 64gb wont.

The 64gb installs as 'Generic ncard sd card' whilst the 16gb is 'generic 00000 sd card' and the 8gb is 'generic sd card' so I'm wondering whether it's a driver issue but when the 64gb card is plugged in and I open it in device manager, it just falls over and can't do anything with it. Really annoying!

I've just had to buy another 64gb card from elsewhere as I've got software and games stored on it that I would like to be able to use.
    Any ideas?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    For experience I'd say the SD card is faulty. It's possible that using a computer to reformat it may help but if it does, it's probably just a matter of time before it fails again.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, my first thoughts were that it was faulty. But, if placed in another computer, it works fine. If placed in a USB card reader in the USB port on the t100, it works fine.

It is ONLY when it's in the SD slot on the T100 is when it doesn't work. I can only assume that there is some sort of driver corruption or something.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    It isn't a driver issue if ANY other card works. The card may be just bad enough to work in one system and not another, not all that rare.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    But why did it work for a couple of months and then suddenly go kaput? That's the really annoying thing about it. Luckily enough I was able to backup the SD card on another computer but my god, it's frustrating!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    That's just the way things happen. One day it works the next it doesn't. There is no explanation.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    How is the card formatted? Also where did you format it/what did you format it with.

It sounds like the card may have been set "Active", and your system is trying to boot from it. I had a same "similar" problem cause I left a USB drive plugged in, and forgot I had formatted it as an active boot drive (have been working on getting Ubuntu to install/Run)... It could also be that when the card was formatted it might have been done so creating misaligned cluster's.

There is a really good formatting tool that is made specifically to format SD/SDXC cards properly and to industry specs as they set them, you can learn more at the SD Association

The default settings are fine, but if it will not work (says your card is not compatible/supported) That means that at some point it got formatted by a tool that wrote over the protected portion of the card, which messes these things up.

You should be able to clean it with DiskPart to remove all the attributes (but thats a whole nother post if you do not know how, its easy, you just have to follow steps), then format it to default (exfat) or NTFS (if you are going to use it for active stuff like installing/running programs or browser caching... otherwise exfat is fine for storage/access without changing)... Its really NOT a good idea to use third party formatting tools...
    Last edited by i2McAbre; 08-18-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: grammar... what else
    Gtanner00 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links