Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Importing and playing my library in Media Player (Windows 8.1)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and posting out of desperation and confusion. I'm relatively au fait with computers and am moving to a T100 (with hard drive) from Ubuntu 14.04.

There is not enough room on the eMMC drive for my media content (which is why I bought the 500GB hard drive version) but when I put files on the HDD Media player can see them but won't play them. The same thing happens when I put files on a micro SD card.

It won't let me set folders to monitor either. I try Organise> Manage Libraries > Music and nothing happens. Same for other media.

Can anyone help? I've spent hours trying to figure it out and feel like I'm an idiot who is missing something simple. I'm tempted, at this juncture, to return the device and get a more "standard" laptop with a single HDD, though the reviews of the Transformer book make me want to figure it out and get the best from it!

Grateful for any help that is offered.

Cheers,

Chris

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    What format are the files in? Windows media player is pretty much only going to play .wmv, .mp4/.m4v and some .avi. I think maybe/possibly .mov, but I haven't checked. It will not play mkv files by default without some codecs added in.

Also, for the libraries Include folders in a library

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks azazel1024, The files are almost all mp3 format. If I select the files directly from the folders they will play on Media Player, but when I select them from inside Media Player nothing happens, regardless of format.

Despite adding the folders (thanks for the link, I didn't know how to do that!) they are still not showing in the main library of Media player at all.

I'm not wedded to Media Player, in fact this is the first time I've used it in a number of years after using native linux apps, is there a better option? I have installed VLC, but I can't seem to get the app to find my music, and the desktop programme is a great player, but isn't a great way of organising files. I'm tearing my hair out with this!

rscheller
    So when you click on one of the files, Media Player starts playing the file without a pop up asking what program to open it with? Have you let Media Player "index the directory" where all the album folders containing music files are located?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I can't say I've tried opening files in media player personally. Well, not in years. Currently I use Xbox music. Give it a try and see how it works for you. It is the head phones icon under the Start screen (touch UI).

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    rscheller: the default player seems to be Xbox Music (see issue with that below). I have to choose "Open With" to play the files on Media Player. I'm not sure how I allow WMP to index the folder, and it doesn't seem to let me use any of the user controls, such as managing libraries, as described above.

azazel1024: Xbox Music would be grand, anything that lets me index and manipulate my library would be fine- but that isn't finding any music either! It is the default player when I double click a music file - and it plays no problem, but it still tells me there is no music on the device. I went into preferences and chose "choose where we look" but from there a pop up comes up saying "Right now we're currently watching these folders" and there are no folders and no options other than "done", so I seem stuck.

Could this similar problem on both media players be due to some similar fault?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Interestingly, as an experiment I've downloaded the VLC app. That will also play files when I select "open with", but doesn't seem to see anything. It is currently sitting on a message "indexing music library". I have now simply put two folders in each of the following locations: SD card, HDD Music folder, eMMC Music folder. I don't think it should be taking more than a couple of minutes to index that, so I think there's an issue there too.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    As an experiment, if you haven't tried this yet, try creating a folder with just a handful of songs in it and try seeing if it'll index that and if so, how long it takes. I haven't used Xbox music much at all, but for the video player (not WMP, but the touch UI one) I notice that most of the time with a new movie file, it takes something like 4-10s to see that it is there. With a number of files it takes somewhat longer, though not 4-10s per file. I'd say maybe 4-10s per file, maybe plus a half a second or a second per extra video file (based on, for example loading up a 26 episode anime series it might take 15-20s to see them all, but just loading up 3-4 movies it is only 5-12s, or one movie, 4-10s).

You are having one heck of a bizzare issue, especially since it is across a variety of applications. Do you have any video files you can load up on it and see if the video player does the same thing? Or pictures to see if the photos app also has issues seeing things?

Fully updated T100 (at least all Windows updates)?

Failing all of that, the only thing I can think of is trying to do a restore/reset on the machine and see if that fixes it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    As an experiment, if you haven't tried this yet, try creating a folder with just a handful of songs in it and try seeing if it'll index that and if so, how long it takes. I haven't used Xbox music much at all, but for the video player (not WMP, but the touch UI one) I notice that most of the time with a new movie file, it takes something like 4-10s to see that it is there. With a number of files it takes somewhat longer, though not 4-10s per file. I'd say maybe 4-10s per file, maybe plus a half a second or a second per extra video file (based on, for example loading up a 26 episode anime series it might take 15-20s to see them all, but just loading up 3-4 movies it is only 5-12s, or one movie, 4-10s).

You are having one heck of a bizzare issue, especially since it is across a variety of applications. Do you have any video files you can load up on it and see if the video player does the same thing? Or pictures to see if the photos app also has issues seeing things?

Fully updated T100 (at least all Windows updates)?

Failing all of that, the only thing I can think of is trying to do a restore/reset on the machine and see if that fixes it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    azazel1024; you are right *edit* of an issue, across various systems. Updates, as you suggested, have sorted everything out. I now have access to my pictures and music files on WMP and VLC after an update. *edit* knows what was wrong. I reckon it is something my un-trained mind won't ever understand. Anyway, I'm now very drunk and everything works. I'd recommend a nice Prosecco, frozen vodka (accept nothing about 3 degrees) and gin & rasberry.

Thanks again all, I'm very much obliged.

C
    Last edited by Swipe; 07-26-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: forum language guidelines

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links