Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hybrid Drive - Doesn't support Trim?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times

Hybrid Drive - Doesn't support Trim?

Being the Tweak Geek that I am, I have been trying to discover every piece of hardware (manufacturer) drivers and setup files, etc etc. I've hit a brick wall on this "supposed" SSD that is in use. I just purchased this T100 about a month ago, and so far (knocks on own head) I have not had any of the Big problems, in fact with the exception that this dock doesn't lock securely (causing a disconnect till you press them together- just a bit), I really like this little toy!

The best I can discover is that Hynix manufactured it, but their sites haven't been updated for nearly two years, so no idea on controller drivers, though I suspect generic SoC, because many tools do not even identify it as a ssd. The info I get is...

ssdid.png

I am curious to know what Windows "thinks" its doing when you click the optimize button, because there is no other tool that says this drive supports Trim, in fact many tools report it as an HDD instead of an SSD, and will try to defragment it

ssd.png

Was wondering if any other tweak geeks who might have been playing with this longer might have had better luck figuring out exactly what kind of drive this is, if their are any proper setup drivers for it/ the controller. Just because we can!

Oh, but it CAN be provisioned... Go figure

rscheller
    I have not had any of the Big problems, in fact with the exception that this dock doesn't lock securely (causing a disconnect till you press them together- just a bit.
    Does your tablet come out of the dock with just a pull without pushing the center unlock button? If so, your tablet is not securely locked into the dock.
    leeshor likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Hynix? What model/version is it? Basically everything I have seen all of the 32 and 64GB models have a Sandisk iNAND eMMC storage module inside of them. Which does support TRIM.

I found this little utility that will tell you if you eMMC/SSD actually support TRIM or not Index of /trimcheck

Full description of the utility

“The title says it all. Fsutil will tell you if TRIM is enabled or not, but it won’t tell you if it is really functional. TRIMcheck will actually check and verify whether TRIM works or not. This program has no GUI, it runs in a command prompt window. You must copy it on the SSD that you are testing and run it twice, waiting at least 30 seconds to a minute between runs in order to ensure accurate results. When executed for the first time it will write on specific locations on the SSD. It will then delete the written data and exit. When you run it a second time a minute later, it will try to read the exact same locations.

When TRIM works you’ll get zeroes on the sectors it wrote, plus a notification that TRIM works. If the data is still there, you’ll be notified that TRIM is not working. If you get a negative result and fsutil tells you that TRIM is enabled anyway, try to wait 10 minutes or so before running it for a third time. This program is great for cases where certain software use cheap workarounds that cripple TRIM in order to ensure SSD compatibility. In such cases fsutil will show that TRIM is enabled, regardless if it really works or not. With this utility you’ll know for sure.”

Also, it isn't a hybrid drive, all T100s have eMMC storage. It is NAND Flash based, but isn't as high performance as what are normally called SSDs (though it is a Solid State Drive).
    Last edited by azazel1024; 07-14-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    leeshor likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Does your tablet come out of the dock with just a pull without pushing the center unlock button? If so, your tablet is not securely locked into the dock.
    Nope its locked in good and tight, seems more like a stability issue, in that if I put in on a firm flat surface, it doesn't do that... But if I hold it on my lap, or lift it into the air, the connection will separate, and I have to snug it down a bit to reconnect the keyboard.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Hynix? What model/version is it? Basically everything I have seen all of the 32 and 64GB models have a Sandisk iNAND eMMC storage module inside of them. Which does support TRIM.

I found this little utility that will tell you if you eMMC/SSD actually support TRIM or not Index of /trimcheck
    Its a Hynix HCG8e 64Gb and its connected to an SD Storage Class Controller...

hynix.pnghynix2.png

I'll give the above tool a try, and report what it says...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    Yep, sounds like the dock is flexing.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgfitzgerald View Post
    Yep, sounds like the dock is flexing.
    Yes, its not a big deal at all, I get into some heated "Typescussions" so sitting with it in my lap is not a good choice.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T200
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Nope, it appears ASUS got cheap... I'll run the test and then repeat it after it sit overnight...

test1.png

First Run

test2.png

Second run. Ran Windows Optimize, which reported it had completed successfully.

test3.png

Ran Windows Optimize again, rebooted, waited 10 minutes... Same Conclusion...

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    50 times
    What is Windows Optimize? I am getting a 1TB SSD for my laptop Wednesday. It's running Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    The SSD drive if it's worth its salt will come with a utility for modifying your Windows 7 for an SSD drive. XP does not support SSD drives. Performance will degrade over time and there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links