Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times

[ SOLVED ] windows photo viewer crashing micro SD card only

I am totally stumped here. I've tried everything I can think of. Windows photo viewer is suddenly crashing anytime I try to copy, cut or delete a file from the photo library, but ONLY if it is pointing at something on the micro SD card slot. If I put/add a folder from c:\, it works fine. Only within C though. If I try to copy something from D: to C: in photo viewer, it thinks about it a second and crashes to start. Same thing from C to D or D to D.

I've tried resetting my libraries, afc /scannow, rebooting and maybe more.

Any ideas?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    I am totally stumped here. I've tried everything I can think of. Windows photo viewer is suddenly crashing anytime I try to copy, cut or delete a file from the photo library, but ONLY if it is pointing at something on the micro SD card slot. If I put/add a folder from c:\, it works fine. Only within C though. If I try to copy something from D: to C: in photo viewer, it thinks about it a second and crashes to start. Same thing from C to D or D to D.

I've tried resetting my libraries, afc /scannow, rebooting and maybe more.

Any ideas?
    chkdsk your SD. It might be corrupted.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I'll do that. Sadly I didn't have enough room for restore points so only the previous one is there (when I installed a PDF virtual print driver 2 days ago), but it is currently restoring to that point, just to check.

It does work fine reading and writing to the card through file explorer though.

I'll also try a refresh. I probably won't go to a full system restore as wayyyyy too much of a pain to redo everything when I can always just move my photo library to the C:\ drive. It isn't that big, but it is annoying if/that I can't use the microSD for some crazy reason.

I really wish there was a way to roll back app updates so I can see if the most recent one to Photo Viewer is what messed things up (IIRC, that was maybe 1-2 weeks ago and I haven't tried copy/cutting/deleting/renaming any files since then till last night, but no idea how long that update was waiting for install. I usually only check every 4-6 weeks on app updates).

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    No reported errors from chkdsk.

Oddly, as one further step before a refresh I copied the card contents to C:\ and then formatted the card from exfat to NTFS. Just on a lark. It now works.

So oddly it looks like the photos app just decided it didn't like exfat anymore for some reason. That or possibly some bad registry entries for the mico SD card that formatting it removed. I had noticed no matter what I tried, windows always would show "read only" for all folders on the card. File explorer and robocopy had no issues with this, but maybe it was a contributing factor to photos app not wanting to do anything other than view images on the card.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Hi. I marked this as solved... you can't "uninstall" the latest update to Photo Viewer? On Android we seem to have that option. But glad it's working for you now.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    No reported errors from chkdsk.

Oddly, as one further step before a refresh I copied the card contents to C:\ and then formatted the card from exfat to NTFS. Just on a lark. It now works.

So oddly it looks like the photos app just decided it didn't like exfat anymore for some reason. That or possibly some bad registry entries for the mico SD card that formatting it removed. I had noticed no matter what I tried, windows always would show "read only" for all folders on the card. File explorer and robocopy had no issues with this, but maybe it was a contributing factor to photos app not wanting to do anything other than view images on the card.
    I have seen this happening also with NTSF formatted disks multiple times lately. It suspect some driver or BIOS issue lurking....

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Hmmm yeah.

I did several hours of searching and, no, sadly Windows 8/8.1 does not support rolling back an update. Also since it is a "core" app, you can't uninstall it and reinstall it. I did find a way to use powershell to uninstall it, but I couldn't find anything on reinstalling it then...which I didn't want to put myself in a situation where it was uninstalled and then gone.

Also, EddieZ...not making me feel better. Sigh. I will chalk it up to possibly a registry issue. What I really should have tried was a different micro SD card to see if it had the same issue (I have a 4GB in my Nook simple touch). Hopefully this won't reoccur, but I do kind of suspect it was an issue with the last update with the photos app some how messed with application permissions to the "drive", which was resolved by formatting.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links