Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Question USB2 Error 43 on Windows 8.1

Since upgrading to Windows 8.1, something weird has been happening. Each time I plug in a USB2 device into the USB3 port on my T100 tablet/laptop, it fails to recognise the device and then throws an Error 43 and complains that the device did not provide a suitable descriptor.

Initially I thought it was a Hardware issue. USB3 devices in the same USB port worked correctly, so I figured it might be bent contacts. However, adding a USB3 hub with USB3 devices chained from it worked, but USB2 still did not work.

I have a few USB devices strewn around the room, so gave them a go.

-- Works fine --
    USB3 WD My Passport drive (by USB3 cable)
    USB3 WD My Passport Ultra Drive (by USB3 cable)
    USB3 WD Essentials (it's unlabelled) (by USB3 cable)

-- Does not work --
    USB2 Kingston DT160 Thumbdrive
    USB2 Unbranded HDD caddy (by USB male to male cable)
    USB2 Logitech MX1000 Mouse
    USB2 Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500
    USB2 Samsung My Story 2Tb desktop drive (by Mini USB cable)
    USB2 Samsung S4 (any mode) (by micro USB cable)
    USB2 Three Mifi dongle (by micro USB cable)
    USB2 Asus Transformer (by Asus specific cable)
    USB2 Lexar Firefly thumb drive

-- Not even recognised --
    USB MS Sidewinder joypad

So it is not limited to a small number of devices. I have uninstalled and re-installed all the USB devices in different orders. I have also updated all options in Windows Update and Asus Live Update, both BIOS and driver.

I have tried every "re-install" style reset of Windows going to try and get it working, but I have not had any success. It doesn't have any restore points to reset to and I don't have any Windows 8 install media.

I have tried changing BIOS settings between EHCI and XHCI, the only effect of which was to break USB3 devices too.

I have tried to use MS's Message Analyzer to try to track down the issue, but I only discovered that it's not a known incompatiblity issue, so have no options to pursue to solve the problem.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    You could try a full Windows refresh setup and make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers installed. If the issue persists after that, there might be a hardware defect.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieZ View Post
    You could try a full Windows refresh setup and make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers installed. If the issue persists after that, there might be a hardware defect.
    Done ever sort of re-install at least twice. Thing is, I don't quite know how to diagnose a hardware defect..... I'd have to assume there'd be something wrong with the four pins that USB2 uses, but that doesn't explain why Windows detects the device yet cannot get the USB Identifier.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    It is unlikely to be an issue with the port itself. If you done a true system restore, its likely an issue with the USB host controller on the Bay Trail SoC itself, which means you'll probably have to send it to Asus for a replacement.

As a last ditch, try going in to the control panel->system-Device manager and then right click on anything "USB related". USB host(s), drivers, etc. Then select uninstall for each and everyone you see, then reboot your T100 and it should reinstall everything. See if it is still happening.

For further troubleshooting you can try connecting a micro USB OTG cable to your micro USB port on the tablet itself and try connecting a USB2 device that way. If it works, its an issue in the dock or the dock connector in some way. If it also does not work, small chance of OS/driver issue, big chance of an issue with the specific Bay Trail SoC in your tablet (IE the processor).

A quick question though, how did you upgrade to Windows 8.1? The T100 comes with Windows 8.1 on it, not windows 8.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Must have been the 8.1.1 Update then. I saw "Windows 8.1 Update" and assumed it was 8 to 8.1.

I'll try uninstalling USB everything again. I really do not feel like mailing it off to Asus for a multi-week turn around. Will endevour to get a Micro USB OTG cable.... not had one of those before. Probably time I got one.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    As a last ditch, try going in to the control panel->system-Device manager and then right click on anything "USB related". USB host(s), drivers, etc. Then select uninstall for each and everyone you see, then reboot your T100 and it should reinstall everything. See if it is still happening.

For further troubleshooting you can try connecting a micro USB OTG cable to your micro USB port on the tablet itself and try connecting a USB2 device that way. If it works, its an issue in the dock or the dock connector in some way. If it also does not work, small chance of OS/driver issue, big chance of an issue with the specific Bay Trail SoC in your tablet (IE the processor).
    USB OTG cable arrived this morning. USB HDD I've been using to test worked fine. Conclusion.... it's the dock or dock connector. *Sigh*.

Guess I need to visit the store.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links