Thread: Asus T100 First things to do

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Post Getting started with asus T100

Hello everyone! I have purchased a T100 device charged it for 8 hours and turned it on afterwards. Set it up and started using it and it worked like a charm. Windows updates and asus updates started rolling one after the other and each time the updates were successful. The next morning when I turned on my T100 the screen started behaving weirdly and started crashing. I managed to enter the password and make the tablet work but the screen kept on behaving weirdly. After a while it asked for new updates again and asked for restart it turned off and never turned on again I only saw the led light flashed three times every time I try to turn it on but nothing happens. Tried to hold the power button for 10, 30 seconds, pushed the power button and the volume button but still failed to turn it on. So I send it back to the dealer. After two weeks I called them to see what was wrong they told me they replaced the board! and the A/C adapter (so it is now refurbished!) I called the customer care and expressed my deception towards the service so they called me back and told me they will give me a brand new one instead of the refubished one. I don't know what caused that. was it me or the device was faulty. I Have now received the new one but I don't know exactly what to do I read some threads about the need to do all asus updates first then windows updates to avoid problems. I checked the asus updates and saw many updates for the device:
    EMI and Safety (5)
    Hotfix (2)
    BIOS (9)
    BIOS-Utilities (1)
    Chipset (1)
    ATK (2)
    AUDIO (2)
    TouchPad (2)
    Utilities (6)
    Wireless (5)
    BlueTooth (2)
    Others (7)
    should I download and install all updates or only the recent ones?
    Does the device download all those updates automatically or should I do them manually?
    I'm not an expert but I read many threads and I think I should install the windows bios flash utility from bios utilities first then install bios and other updates.
    I am a bit worried about the device being faulty or me damaging it. Some help will be much appreciated thanks
    Last edited by Nicolaselhaddad; 04-26-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    28 times
    Only the most recent ones. Start with bios and then the latest hot fix.
    Nicolaselhaddad likes this.

rscheller
    Less than two weeks ago, my employer gave me an Asus Vivotab ME400C which is the tablet version of the T100 with slightly less powerful processor.

Here's what I did with the ME400C. As I commissioned it, during the setup, I told it not to automatically update Windows. Then once I got it all setup, I ran Asus Live Update and it updated the BIOS and applied two other Asus patches.

Then I went into Windows update and told it to check for updates. I had it set to download updates but notify me and not auto install them. One thing I need to say is the ME400 comes out of the box with Windows 8, so you won't need to do 8 to 8.1

So after some time, the ME400C indicted to me there were a crap load of updates. So... I installed them. Then there were more, so I installed them. One of them was Win 8.1 update. After that update, you go through a mini-provisioning again and a restart or two.

Once I was at Windows 8.1, I worked with it for a while and found it to be quite solid. About April 20, I figured I'd go ahead and install update 1... again after a restart or two..., and again a mini-provisioning, I was at Windows 8.1 update 1.

The reason I'm explaining my ME400C update is it was identical to my T100 update experience, except the 8 to 8.1 part and the number of Asus Live Updates on the T100 but and this is critical, the total time to do all that was about 8-10 hours of which 2 hours were 8 to 8.1, so be prepared to spend about 5-6 hours on your T100 and be patient. There are times when the T100 may appear to be hung up but just be patient. I think most people with update failures is because the operator gets antsy and powers the unit off during a critical time and causes the update to fail and the tablet to be hosed up.

I've been impressed what both the T100 and ME400C can do and they're both generally very solid devices.
    Last edited by rscheller; 04-27-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for you help guys I will update my bios as well as other asus updates then will start with windows updates. My T100 came with windows 8.1 out of the box so I guess my updates will take less time hopefully this time the device will run smoothly and won't experience any problem. I like the device but I am a bit worried about the hardware components installed in it.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    thread timing was impeccable as my 64g T100 arrived Friday. After charging overnight, I went about running the ASUS updates; 1 critical, 5 recommended (incl a BIOS) update. Ran into only one hitch with the initial BIOS update, which seemed to solve itself with the second attempt. There were no Windows updates to attend to.

Else, on the plus side, the device had no problems locating the two printers and the setup has gone fairly smoothly.

Still getting used to both the keypads and Win 8 - Been assoc with computers since Win 3.1 (first computer class was in JC in 1980).

I have had some 'weird' keypad behavior on a single web forum. Undocked, the touch screen keypad will simply flash and is unresponsive to any input . Docked and attempting to use the dock unit keyboard and this same website requires 3-4 attempts before a letter is produced. - But so far this has only occurred on this one forum.

Best of Luck!

Rick

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    42 times
    Docked and attempting to use the dock unit keyboard and this same website requires 3-4 attempts before a letter is produced. - But so far this has only occurred on this one forum.
    Have the same problem here when using the Reply/Reply With Quote to threads, really weird. This reply has been done on a DT at home and all works fine. I though the keyboard was failing when I was away working the last few days, but now see it's not only me getting this problem.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    first thing to do is to check for even the smallest hardware/manufacturing problems.
    if somethings wrong with it u can usually swap it in the store for a new one on the first day

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    For what it's worth - I did contact Asus support re the wonky keyboard activity and a little of 48 hours I rec'd this reply:

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Ellie and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For the problem, I suggest you to load BIOS default first: restart the laptop, press F2 to enter BIOS-->F9 go to the exit tab and restore factory defaults--press F10. Meanwhile please check if you current BIOS version is the latest.BIOS 304.

If not, please update your BIOS for a try.
    Here is the method to update BIOS.
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

BIOS 304
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TA

Windows BIOS Flash Utility
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TA
    Global (DLM) Global P2P
    Please click "Global".

If it doesn't work, I suggest you to contact our RMA (Return Material Authorization) department for repair.
    If you have Internet access, you can visit this website to fill the form:
    http://vip.asus.com/eservice/usa_rmaserv.aspx
    Complete the RMA Submittal Form and click on the submit button, and request an RMA
    Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product

This came in just as I was leaving for work this a.m. - I'll take a look at her suggestions this evening..

I certainly don't wish to return the item at this time....

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links