Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Asus T100 transformer hairline crack after two weeks of use - please help!

Hi All,

I bought Asus T100 from John Lewis, UK as a gift for my wife. I thought it was a good concept combining laptop and tablet into one. After two weeks it developed a hairline crack and has become completely unusable. It wasn't dropped, mishandled or in anyway put pressure on. The hairline crack just appeared from no where. We only noticed when the screen started to jump around even without touching.

Bitterly disappointed with John Lewis service. After weeks of handing in tablet for repair, they say I will have to cough up hundreds to get it repaired. This is not what I had in mind when I bought this product from supposedly a good company.

Is there anyone who can give me some advice/guidance on this? I am at a loss...Wasted 300 quid on this useless gadget when I could have got a laptop much cheaper. Disappointed!!!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    You don't say where the hairline crack is? Screen? Tablet rear? Keyboard dock? So hard to visualise - why not upload a photo?

Do you have children in the house ? - Maybe they have had a minor accident with the new toy which they are keeping quite about ? - ok maybe your kids wouldn't - but it's the sort of thing I would have done as a kid - in the face of the risk of incurring parental wrath keeping schtum can be a very attractive option...

Snowy

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    One time I bought a digital camera, used it a while before noticing a consistent minor blur in the same place on all of its pics. Looked at the lens, could see a scratch on the inside of the lens - a manufacturing fault. Sent it back under the shop's warranty system (not John Lewis) and they claimed the scratch was on the outside of the lens - couldn't do much about it as they then had the camera/evidence in their possession, so I had to pay up nearly the cost of the camera. Do I think they were lying? Yes !

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    9 times
    I recall a guy on the overclockeres forum saying the same thing. JL told him they would not replace. In the end he said either they replace the item/refund or they call him a liar. One or the other. They refunded him his money.

Problem is, until it happens to you, most people will think you are lying. However, there have been many reports on other devices that items crack or even break without impact. Most people would not make it up... but in reality its easier to think you are lying than to think it "just happened".

I suggest you speak to them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripa1a View Post
    Hi All,

I bought Asus T100 from John Lewis, UK as a gift for my wife. I thought it was a good concept combining laptop and tablet into one. After two weeks it developed a hairline crack and has become completely unusable. It wasn't dropped, mishandled or in anyway put pressure on. The hairline crack just appeared from no where. We only noticed when the screen started to jump around even without touching.

Bitterly disappointed with John Lewis service. After weeks of handing in tablet for repair, they say I will have to cough up hundreds to get it repaired. This is not what I had in mind when I bought this product from supposedly a good company.

Is there anyone who can give me some advice/guidance on this? I am at a loss...Wasted 300 quid on this useless gadget when I could have got a laptop much cheaper. Disappointed!!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    16 times
    John Lewis have great customer service almost all the time, but there are exceptions. Best thing would be to RMA it via ASUS. Whilst your contract is with the supplier, they can't do much except RMA it anyway. Then you have "middle man" delays. But where is the crack ??

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    3 times
    I had same issue with my first T100 also bought from John Lewis. Mine developed a hairline crack just above the hinge where the tablet meets the dock after 72 hours of me having it with most of that time it being on my desk rigged up to an external monitor! I went back to my local John Lewis and after they inspected it thoroughly they agreed it didn't look like it had been dropped so swapped it for another one. There are reports of some other Asus Android tablets having a similar issue in the past and I honestly did nothing to cause the issue and personally think it was a manufacturing defect that only appeared after a few days use - maybe due to heat from the device being left on? Good luck getting your replaced!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links