Thread: Keyboard problems since updating

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times

[SOLVED] Keyboard problems since updating

Earlier today I did the 8.1 Update 1. It all seemed to come down in one go and after updating no further updates were available. A few hours later I was using an external WiFi AP to browse this site and attempted to reply in one of the threads. As I started typing it started missing more and more of the keystrokes. It seemed that the reply box was attempting to update several times a second. I rebooted and the problem persisted.

I brought the T100 home and logged into my home WiFi (I only mention this in case it's relevant), came to this forum and tried to reply to a thread again and the problem came up again. I type the first paragraph OK and then after I press Enter, it starts missing keypresses and the cursor is pulsing about 5 times a second, making it impossible to type.

Three things: 1) It only seems to happen with this site. I tried replying to a thread in another forum (Coursera) and had no problems typing. It happens with the Metro version of IE as well as with the desktop version, which makes me think it's forum-related rather than tablet-related. 3) It only started happening after today's updates; other posts to the forum were made on the T100 - this one had to be posted from my PC.

Oh, and I nearly forgot: copy and paste doesn't work. I tried composing my reply in Notepad++ then copying it to the clipboard and pasting it here. It wouldn't paste, and right-clicking the reply box (or using the context menu key) showed the Paste option greyed out.

Has anyone any idea what might be going on?
    Last edited by garryknight; 04-09-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Remembered that copy and paste doesn't work
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    There were updates to IE11 in there. They might be causing problems. I can try on my laptop tonight, though I haven't updated the T100 yet.

You could try running the website in compatibility mode and see if that fixes it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1225 times
    Down at the very bottom of this web page (contact us, etc.) -- you'll see a box far right

This is the forum "style chooser" -- changing this might help.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Swipe: Thanks! I selected the Default Mobile Style and had no problems with typing.

azazel1024: Thanks for your input. When I get time I'll try your compatibility mode suggestion.
    Swipe likes this.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    In order to deal with this problem, I intended to use the full site for reading posts and switch to the mobile interface to reply to them. But no matter how many times I click "Full Site" at the bottom of the page, it won't revert to the full site. This means I now have no way of seeing just my subscribed threads, at least not without searching for them. Or waiting until I get home to the PC, where the default full-site style still applies.

EDIT
    I seem to have solved this one. In Firefox, I found a cookie stored by this site that included the word 'style' in its name. After deleting it, I seem to be able to switch freely between the full site and the mobile version. What's also interesting is that, after setting the style to the full site version, I'm now able to edit text in a post without the 'jumping' behaviour I described in the original post in this thread. I've marked the thread 'SOLVED' but I'm no nearer to knowing whether it has been or not...
    Last edited by garryknight; 04-12-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Apparently solved

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links