Thread: [ SOLVED ] Connecting to public WiFi access points

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times

[ SOLVED ] Connecting to public WiFi access points

I realise that this might not be the correct forum to post in but I'm not sure what is the cause of the problem.

In Windows 8.1 I go to settings and click the network icon. I see a list of APs and click the one I want to connect to. Before I click it, it shows a shield icon with a ! on it. After I click it, I click the Connect button, it displays "Connecting" then shows the AP with the same shield icon and "Limited" underneath. There's no indication that it has or hasn't connected, though in the Connections section above it shows "Unidentified connection" and "Limited". The AP I selected is broadcasting its SSID
    so this gives me no clue as to whether I'm connected or not.

If I press the Windows key + X then select "Network Connections" I see that I appear to be connected to the AP I selected but for IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity it says "No Internet access".

If I connect to this AP using my Android phone or tablet, or with a netbook running Ubuntu, I simply open a browser and attempt to connect to anything, at which point up comes the AP's login screen. If I try this with Internet Explorer I get a 404 "Page not found".

So, is this a problem with the AP, or with Internet Explorer, or with Windows 8.1, or the Broadcom driver, or what? Has anyone else seen this behavior and solved it? Thanks in advance.

rscheller
    From what I understand that your saying, it sounds like your seeing and connecting to a local AP that needs a passcode to truly connect with. You may be getting a radio signal "connected" but without the proper passcode, the AP won't assign your T100 an IP address nor let you access the internet via that AP.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    Thanks for your reply, Rick, but it doesn't need a passcode. On Android and Ubuntu I try to open any page, ea a weather site, and up comes a portal page that just requires a click on a button marked "Connect". On IE all I get is a 404. And, yes, the Network Connections dialog shows that it did hand me an IP.

Update: I just tried it one more time, after switching WiFi off and back on, and after a few seconds IE opened up showing the portal's T&C's page with the Connect button, which is what I was expecting to see. No idea what's changed or whether it will be consistent from now on. Anyway, thanks again for your reply, which prompted me to try one more time.
    rscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you check your network connection performance? If you didn't you better do it.
    The easiest way is to use the link below:
    Test your Connection there is a single button you need to press to start the tests...
    The Connectivity Checker will perform a series of network tests for modern Web Services like WebSockets and WebRTC. A unique url will be created with the results which you can then share so i can help you with your problem.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    I don't know if you're using the "Metro" version of IE or the desktop version, but when it comes to these public wifi portals that require you to click a button agreeing to terms etc (Starbucks, most hotels, many others use this) I have found the easiest way to get things connected is to just open a regular (non Metro) browser on the desktop and then try to go to a webpage. You'll automatically be directed to the webpage where you have to click the button or check the box to agree to the terms of use and voila, you're connected.

For some reason, this only seems to happen on my Windows devices. Selecting the Wifi access point I want in the system tray is never enough with these, I always have to open a browser and do it that way. Not a huge inconvenience, but I think it would be more intuitive if Windows would just launch the browser and bring you to the consent page or give you some other way to "agree to terms" when you select the access point so you can get on with it.
    rscheller likes this.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    22 times
    @SocialCarpet:
    I tried with both, clicking on a link to a weather site (though it should work with any site) to see if I could get the portal page to come up. And just kept getting the 404. Eventually, I think it was the Metro version of IE that opened with the portal page.

I tried it again today with the same AP and this time I got a message above the list of available APs asking if I wanted to sign in with a password or open IE, so I chose the latter. It's possible that this came up the first time I tried but I missed seeing it. Anyway, problem fixed. Thanks for your input.
    Garry Knight
    Asus Transformer Book T100

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm a new owner of a T100 and a new member of this forum. The T100TA worked great out of the box.

Then the Windows updates flooded in (windows 8.1) and I can no longer use the internet. Connects to Wifi just fine and I can transfer files with my server.. I also can ping yahoo.com, no problem. But no website comes up in Internet explorer. What's going on here?

Don't know exactly where to post this, and thought I'd try here. I'm an old geezer but know my way around computers, and this has me stumped.

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Go to the control panel - Internet Options - connections - lan settings and make certain it says automatic. If use proxy is checked you may have malware blocking you.

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2826 times
    @TropicCat

Please do not cross post. The other copy of your post has been deleted.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links