Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nabbed

Thread: Possible to transfer OS plus app/data from 32GB to 64GB?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Possible to transfer OS plus app/data from 32GB to 64GB?

I bought and am going to return a 32GB version, because I found a 64GB in another store.
    Is it possible to transfer *everything* from the 32GB tablet to the 64GB one (took me days to set it up)?

Transformer Forums Legend
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    1818 times
    Welcome to the forum

You can use Window's file and settings transfer utility to keep most if not all your docs and media and some of your other settings. There are a few programs out there that supposedly also transfer the programs but I have found them all lacking, big time, and none are free. My best suggestion would be to use the utility that comes with Windows then reinstall all the apps before transferring back to the new system. It will still be quite a bit of work but not quite as bad as starting from scratch.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

You can use Window's file and settings transfer utility to keep most if not all your docs and media and some of your other settings. There are a few programs out there that supposedly also transfer the programs but I have found them all lacking, big time, and none are free. My best suggestion would be to use the utility that comes with Windows then reinstall all the apps before transferring back to the new system. It will still be quite a bit of work but not quite as bad as starting from scratch.
    Thanks, but I was thinking more in terms of making an image of the C system partition and restoring that image to the C system partition of the second tablet.
    Making a system image through Win8.1 wouldn't work, because it insists on creating an image with all of the partitions of a physical disk, meaning C + EFI + recovery... And since recoveries of 32GB and 64GB tablets are entirely different, that would ruin the recovery of the new tablet.

Does anyone know of some freeware app that can make a sector(cluster)-by-sector copy of a partition, and make a bootable USB to restore the image?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Not that works with 32-bit UEFI.

rscheller
    I'm unsure but I don't think you can use any "legal" tool to image your 32G system and copy it onto a new 64G system. In fact it may cause you giant problems.

My suggestion would be at your 32G device, if you set up a microsoft account when you first set it up, you can go into settings and sync item by item pretty much everything on it to the cloud then turn off sync. When you're ready to start up your 64G device, log in with the same microsoft account and enable sync all items and let it add your apps, files, pics, music, settings, etc. back to the 64G. The only thing missing (I think) will be desktop programs if you installed any. Then turn off sync... unless you want your system to continue to be backed up to the cloud.

You'll still need to do a bit of housekeeping but it's likely better than the alternative of starting from scratch.

P.S. I should have also said... that if you didn't register a M$ account, AFAIK, you could still register an account on your 32G device then perform the above sync procedure.
    Last edited by rscheller; 03-28-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    I'm unsure but I don't think you can use any "legal" tool to image your 32G system and copy it onto a new 64G system. In fact it may cause you giant problems.
    Well... keep in mind that Asus generally uses Volume Licenses and that means it just has to be the same brand/model but things like drive capacity can be different and it should be legal as long as no one is getting something for nothing, which would be the case if all OP's doing is just copying his data and settings but otherwise getting the exact same thing as OP did from their previous model...

I otherwise agree on it may cause big problems... Since the 32bit UEFI makes it hard to use 3rd party utilities to restore images, as the drive can't be removed the restore has to be able to boot and run on its own... and a failed restore could result in a unbootable system that Asus may not cover... So it's chancy at best and there are other potential issues like the recovery setup is different between the 32GB and 64GB models and will have to be set up to a USB drive and a custom backup made for the new setup, and a separate backup would be needed for the original install in case anything went wrong, etc... among other possible complications...

So, it's likely a lot less headache to just use migration tools and sync solutions to transfer files and settings to the new system...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Well... keep in mind that Asus generally uses Volume Licenses and that means it just has to be the same brand/model but things like drive capacity can be different and it should be legal as long as no one is getting something for nothing, which would be the case if all OP's doing is just copying his data and settings but otherwise getting the exact same thing as OP did from their previous model...

I otherwise agree on it may cause big problems... Since the 32bit UEFI makes it hard to use 3rd party utilities to restore images, as the drive can't be removed the restore has to be able to boot and run on its own... and a failed restore could result in a unbootable system that Asus may not cover... So it's chancy at best and there are other potential issues like the recovery setup is different between the 32GB and 64GB models and will have to be set up to a USB drive and a custom backup made for the new setup, and a separate backup would be needed for the original install in case anything went wrong, etc... among other possible complications...

So, it's likely a lot less headache to just use migration tools and sync solutions to transfer files and settings to the new system...
    Yes. I agree.
    I read some MS articles on cloning partitions...
    One has to generalize partition images to remove all hardware- and license-dependent data.
    Then one would have to put that data back in after restoring a generalized image.
    It sounded like a pain in the butt.

So I reinstalled all of the apps and data by hand. Took about five hours with breaks, not that bad...

Thanks, guys.
    rscheller likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links