Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times

Any solution to the touchpad lag issue (T100 touchpad sleeps after 10 seconds)?

First, the issue:

as many have noticed, the touchpad (also called trackpad by some) enters a sleep state after about 8-10 seconds of touchpad inactivity, after which it requires another touch to wake up.

For the user, this results in a noticeable touchpad lag; if you attempt to move the pointer after 10 seconds of touchpad inactivity, the pointer will lag then jump to the correct position.

To reproduce the issue: wait 10 seconds, attempt to move pointer with the touchpad.

Some suggestions I have found on this forum include disabling three-finger and edge-swipe gestures, which I have done (not going to use those anyway), along with pinch-zoom at "rotate" gestures. This does not solve the problem.

The problem is very annoying when you type a lot and use the mouse in bursts (e.g. typing a message on a forum, like this one). It would be logical for keyboard activity to wake the touchpad, but this does not happen.

I am currently running the latest BIOS (2.27) and latest ASUS Smart Gesture software (2.28), both downloaded from their website. The issue appears even if the SmartGesture software is uninstalled (and then scroll and two-finger right-click with touchpad stop working), so the issue doesn't seem to be with SmartGesture software.

Thus, it's either a hardware, driver, OS or some other low-level issue. Does anyone have a fix?

rscheller
    Yes, do a search here. I seem to recall recently that some folks saw great improvement after doing either a BIOS or driver update.
    Last edited by rscheller; 03-12-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    51 times
    Simply turning off the Asus SmartGesture app solved this issue for me. It also improved the general behavior and reliability of the trackpad.

Personally I think Asus should focus on making better trackpads and buttons before they try and get into all these crazy gestures. Also the trackpad on the T100 is too small to make good use of gestures anyway IMO. With the SmartGesture crap turned off, my trackpad works better for regular use because the computer isn't trying to figure out if I'm trying to do some gesture every time i touch the trackpad. It's just sticking to the normal trackpad functions, which is about all I would expect or want out of a trackpad this size.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    @rscheller and SocialCarpet:

Thank you for the advice, but, as I have said, neither upgrading the BIOS and SamrtGesture software, nor uninstalling completely SmartGestures solves the lag problem. (I imagine it can be worse with three-finger gestures turned on).

@rscheller: can you find the thread? In the threads I've seen saw some improvement, but far from a solution. Maybe installing different drivers would help? Maybe it's a hardware issue?

In any case, I have submitted a technical request to ASUS and will update this thread if they respond.
    Last edited by romwell; 03-12-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: clraification

rscheller

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    Nahhh. I started that thread and OP is already running the latest and greatest BIOS/Driver. As I posted there, the TP is better now, at least it doesn't require two touches to wake up, but it still lags. It's better, but I still don't understand why they can't just turn off the "sleep after 10 seconds" issue. Even if they just increased it to 1-3 minutes it'd be much better. Oh well, maybe on the next update.

rscheller
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonguy View Post
    Nahhh. I started that thread and OP is already running the latest and greatest BIOS/Driver. As I posted there, the TP is better now, at least it doesn't require two touches to wake up, but it still lags. It's better, but I still don't understand why they can't just turn off the "sleep after 10 seconds" issue. Even if they just increased it to 1-3 minutes it'd be much better. Oh well, maybe on the next update.
    Didn't notice you started that thread... oops...

That's the problem with starting a new thread for an unresolved subject. Responders may see that new query and remember something and spend time searching and not realize what they read a while back was info on the same subject of the same issue and the same OP.

If you're still dealing with the issue, just post again in that original thread something like "anyone come up with a fix for this?" and it'll pop right back to the top of the list.

Mods, can you combine this thread with http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-touchpad.html

Thanks

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    @bostonguy: thanks for starting the original thread and posting here as well!

@rscheller: indeed, maybe merging the two threads is a good idea. However, the title of bostonguy's thread suggests that the problem has been fixed, whereas it is not.

Also, I wrote to ASUS, and they suggested me to RMA my T100, claiming that they don't see the problem on their units. However, a floor model in a local BestBuy still exhibits the same symptoms; the problem is clearly endemic and likely a driver issue. Well, let's see if another update would fix this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey, I was instructed to do the update 3.0.8, and use the global option.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Smart Gesture

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Shaff229 View Post
    Hey, I was instructed to do the update 3.0.8, and use the global option.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Smart Gesture
    Welcome to the forum

Who instructed you to update to 3.0.8 ?
    Checking at the site you linked to it shows version 3.0.8 is only available for models T100TAF and T100TAM. What model do you have ?

I'm not saying 3.0.8 won't work in other models and I'm sure someone will give it a test run but we should be cautious until someone reports it's ok.
    Remember to create a System Restore Point before updating just to be safe

System Restore Location
    Desktop
    Right click (press, hold, release) on Windows Icon
    Select Control Panel (icon view)
    Select Recovery
    To create a Restore Point select Configure System Restore
    To restore the T100 back to a Restore point select Open System Restore
    More info @ How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Windows Help
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links