Thread: WiFi tips, tricks & problems

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times

WiFi tips, tricks & problems

Hi all , can someone help me with my WiFi settings. When i use the following setting: a/b/g 20/40 i have the best connection regarding speed. But after some time the wifi adapter hangs, i cannot do anything to bring back the internet connection exept restart the system. I am actually connected but limited. I have read here and thre in the forum but nothing is changing the problem i have. Is there a mix of drivers and settings so i can use N-speeds.

(if i use one of the other two settings i have no problem with the connection but the speed is very limited)

I am with the latest radio and wifi drivers.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Use the .168 Microsoft signed drivers. I suspect you are under .187. I am going to create a sticky on Wifi issues and settings since this seems to get asked every few days.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times

Wifi tips, tricks and problems

Since Wifi issues seem to be coming up every day or three, I wanted to create a sticky to address common problems people have, as well as recommended settings to get the most out the T100's wifi adapter.

First of all, a lot of people have issues with the (as of this posting) latest Broadcom Wifi driver, the .187 version. A few people report no issues, but that seems to be almost universally on 5GHz Wifi. On 2.4GHz setups, it seems to have a lot of problems, at least if you set it to a/b/g 20/40 mode, which generally produces the highest speeds. Generally the issue is that you get "limited connectivity" issues where you cannot connect to your network and often have to reboot the T100 to resolve it, only to have it occur again within minutes to maybe an hour or two later.

So, first off, if you are having issues where you get "limited connectivity", change your driver back to .168 MICROSOFT signed driver. the .168 Broadcom signed driver also seems to have issues. Go to Control panel->Network and Internet->Network and Sharing center->Change Adapter Settings and then right click on your Broadcom adapter and select properties->Configure. Driver is the option under there and then select "update driver"->Browse my computer->Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer->and then select, what should be, the bottom device driver from the list (say Microsoft next to it, NOT Broadcom).

Alternately, if you know your network is setup as ONLY a 20MHz 2.4GHz network, you can just leave the network adapter in the default a/b/g 20 mode. This does not seem to cause "limited connectivity" issues on the T100 on 2.4GHz, but you are also giving up a lot of Wifi speed if your router or access point is configured for 40MHz mode.

Next, if you want to maximize speed, either in a/b/g 20 mode or a/b/g 20/40 mode, change the following two settings from their default.

Change 20/40 Coexistance to Enabled, from Auto. Change WMM to Enabled, from Auto. In both cases, the Broadcom driver/adapter does NOT seem to be properly handling either in auto mode, and subsequently it isn't as fast as if you set them to enabled.

In my testing, in an uncluttered wifi environment (I live 150ft from my nearest neighbor, and my next nearest is over 250ft away), these are the following speeds I get on 2.4GHz (I have no 5GHz router, for the moment).

a/b/g 20 mode: Average 4.5MB/sec
    a/b/g 20/40 mode: Average 7.5MB/sec
    a/b/g 20/40 mode with WMM and 20/40 Coexistance set to Enable: Average 9MB/sec

One note, I still get "Limited Connectivity" with the .168 MS signed drivers; HOWEVER, the frequency of occurance is around every 12-36hrs. Every once in awhile I'll get it a couple of times in an hour, but that is very rare. Also, unlike on .187 where I MUST reboot my T100 to restore connectivity, I can simply disconnect from my network and reconnect (under charm bar->network), which takes all of about 10 seconds, and then I am back up and running. Its a bit annoying, but since it doesn't happen all the time like .187, its not that big a deal and it doesn't require a reboot.

As mentioned, a few users have said that on 5GHz networks, they don't have the limited connectivity issue, also their speeds seem a little higher, around 10MB/sec. So, if you can, run your T100 on a 5GHz network. If you don't have that option though, or if you are going to be using it on a mixed network where you might be on 2.4GHz sometimes and 5GHz other times I HIGHLY suggest you change your driver to the .168 Microsoft driver if you are having any problems. Hopefully this is something that Broadcom will fix in a future driver release.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Interesting is that i have recieved an update for the WiFi adapter , a very small one that must lower the power the thing is using. Is this related to the driver, because i did not see any new driver istalling , just a patch of some sort...

rscheller
    I spent some time over the weekend to see if I could get my bluetooth working. Here's what I've discovered.

First it seems there are three drivers available here... ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Driver & Tools - WLAN
    V5.93.99.187 update 2013.12.31
    V5.93.98.187 update 2013.12.27
    V5.93.97.168 update 2013.11.07

The official current driver listed at the official Asus Support download page for the T100TA is 5.93.98.187.

When I use V5.93.98.187 my T100 works (mostly) wifi seems great but bluetooth disconnects from a paired device within about 10 seconds.
    When I update to V5.93.99.187 my T100 won't connect to my router at all. Didn't try bluetooth with this driver... there'd be no point. Rolling back to 5.93.98.187 was easy which corrects my wifi connect problem.

What I want to know is in the discussions here when folks talk of "rolling back the driver"... is that back to V5.93.98.187 the one that works (mostly) for me from V5.93.99.187 or is that all the way back to V5.93.98.168?

I don't know if I ever had V5.93.97.168 on my T100 but when I try and update my driver to that one, Windows tells me that there is a newer driver available, so I don't even seem to be able to try V5.93.97.168.

How can I go back to V5.93.97.168 to give it a try?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    How can I go back to V5.93.97.168 to give it a try?
    You must point the right driver manually.
    As Azazel1024 wrote, do this:

"Go to Control panel->Network and Internet->Network and Sharing center->Change Adapter Settings and then right click on your Broadcom adapter and select properties->Configure. Driver is the option under there and then select "update driver"->Browse my computer->Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer->and then select" - use the one with Microsoft at the end...

Than the driver will be installed, despite being older.

rscheller
    Thanks, that's what I did but I'll give it another go when I get a chance.

Is V5.93.97.168 the most trouble-free driver?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T102HA
    Liked
    1222 times
    Post #1 was a seperate thread, after azazel1024 created the Wifi Tips, tricks and problems thread I merged the two to reduce the amount of duplicate threads/posts on the same topic.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    .168 MS signed driver does seem to be the most trouble free.

If you don't have it on your T100 originally, you can download the .168 driver and if Windows gives you an issue of "newer driver", you can still point to the file manually. Basically go through all the steps above and if you don't see it on the list (its the MS signed one) click on "Have disk" and then point to the file on your T100 you downloaded from the support website for .168 and do it that way.

Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links