Thread: WiFi tips, tricks & problems

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    That doesn't sound like an issue with the drivers if you are seeing a weak signal. Are you located physically close to your router? Or is this trying to connect to a distant router?
    At first sight all networks
    And when i click to see networks list , the device is disconnected
    For example: when seeing streaming it stops playing (Also when presses F5 to refresh). Flash Video,youtube, etc. its disconnected/stops .

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by renalves View Post
    decided to do a factory reset. Did it from a USB pen drive created with Asus Backtracker
    Is this the same as doing a Reset using the recovery partition on the SSD ?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes it is, give it a try

rscheller
    Win 8.1 provides three built in options to handle system problems. I think your personal situation and the severity of the problem(s) may dictate the approach to be taken. This Microsoft page explains those three options. How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC - Microsoft Windows Help

Specifically...

RESTORE Says if you think an app or driver that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps and drivers. Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

REFRESH Says if your PC isn't performing as well as it once did, and you don't know why, you can refresh your PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings. Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

RESET Says all of your personal files will be deleted and (all) your settings will be reset. All apps that you installed will be removed. Only apps that came with your PC will be reinstalled. Just like it came out of the box. i.e. a factory reset.

My question, has anyone tried a REFRESH rather than a RESET to successfully get something wrong working again? Doing a RESET seems drastic and creates the hardest start point to reconfigure your PC from. REFRESH sounds like it may do the same thing for Windows repair but not require the steep reconfiguration of your PC that a RESET requires.

My T100 is working very well, with all the latest updates installed, except I have the nagging Bluetooth "disconnect in 5-10 seconds problem" and I'm thinking I'll try a REFRESH before taking the RESET approach... anyone have any ideas here?
    Last edited by rscheller; 02-25-2014 at 07:57 AM.

rscheller
    Took the plunge last evening and I did a REFRESH to try and solve my bluetooth disconnecting after 5-10 seconds issue. Here' a run-down of my experience... your mileage may vary.

First... the main reason for doing this... it didn't solve my bluetooth issue (dang it) although the bluetooth results are now different. A bit of hope... perhaps? Now when I ask to pair my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, both ends say they're connected then after about 45-60 seconds they disconnect. It now connects long enough to actually show an icon of a phone under my list of "my devices" on the T100 with a right click on the phone icon showing a number of attributes... but after the 45-60 seconds the phone icon greys out and under the phone icon it shows disconnected... I've not seen that icon before. Don't know if this is better or not? This is sounding more like a bluetooth (driver?) protocol issue now?

Second... even though I used REFRESH instead of RESET and it did keep my files and email accounts and facebook account info on the T100 intact and as advertised, it also left a list of uninstalled desktop apps if I decide to reload them... it still took me 4-5 hours to install all the ASUS LIVE UPDATEs and WINDOWS updates as well as adding my printers, network drives, etc. and generally setting things back to "my normal" / reinstalling apps from the store, etc. I still had to go into control panel and make all my personal tweaks such as auto brightness and reading mode off, changing some font sizes, setting pin# login... etc. I figure I have another 1-2 hours to get it but it's pretty close to "my normal" and I'll just fix those things little by little now as I stumble across them.

One update... the REFRESH uninstalled MS Office too.

Bottom line... if you run your T100 out of the box stock, doing a REFRESH is a bit easier than a full RESET but if you've done a lot of "customizing" to your T100... and who wouldn't to some degree... it's gonna take multiple hours to return your personal touches to your T100.
    Last edited by rscheller; 02-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Sorry it didn't fix it for you. As you experienced, I feel like a full reset is probably just the best bet. A refresh can save you a little time, but it just isn't all that much, especially if you keep a running backup of all of your important apps, settings, etc.

I often don't, but if I am looking to reset a device/reinstall windows I do tend to take half an hour or an hour and backup all of the important stuff, including grabing all of the latest drivers, important apps (if I don't already have a backup), etc and stashing them in a "restore" folder on my server so that I can just quick load stuff back up once the device is restored/reinstalled. Of course that can still take a couple of hours to get everything back to steady state.

When I had to redo my desktop and laptop at the same time, I think it took around 2 1/2hrs to get my laptop back up and running with everything reinstalled and closer to 4hrs for my desktop (mostly because I had more applications, tweaks, etc on the desktop, even though its faster and has a much faster wired connection to pull stuff down).

Its annoying, but I don't mind having to spend a few hours doing something like that. Not something I do willy-nilly though.

As for your Bluetooth issue, any chance of trying to pair a different bluetooth device with your T100? It could just be an issue with the S2 and the T100, rather than a direct issue with the T100.

rscheller
    As for your Bluetooth issue, any chance of trying to pair a different bluetooth device with your T100? It could just be an issue with the S2 and the T100, rather than a direct issue with the T100.
    Before the REFRESH, I had tried also pairing a 1)Samsung Galaxy S3, 2)Samsung Captivate and 3)my desktop PC. Same results for all. I still need to retry those devices again after doing the REFRESH since my symptoms seem to have changed a bit. I'll update here when I get those items tried. Even if I never get bluetooth working, I'm happy with my T100.

Also of all the Windows PCs I've ever owned 10-12 and used at my work places 10-12... I've (rightly or wrongly) never had to do a full Windows install to resolve a problem with the two exceptions of a HDD failure. I think the decision "to reload Windows" is highly abused unless you inadvertently kill your PC by tweaking or have something drastic occur like loosing power while Windows is updating.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Heads up, new Bluetooth driver on Asus website (looks like just on the US website for now). Also new BIOS update. Might want to give those a spin to see if it helps anything.
    rscheller likes this.

rscheller
    Heads up, new Bluetooth driver on Asus website (looks like just on the US website for now). Also new BIOS update. Might want to give those a spin to see if it helps anything.
    Thanks for the heads up, will give them a go this evening.

rscheller
    Well, I seem to be making progress. Using Bluetooth, the T100 sees my phone and my phone sees the T100. Now I just need to figure out how to transfer a file between them. When I try, I get a timeout error with a transfer failed message. That may be I just don't have folder/permissions set properly... but at least it's forward progress.

I got it!!! I just needed to go into my task manager then click the Bluetooth icon and select send a file then select my phone and conversely set it to receive a file then send it from my phone to the T100. Now it all seems anti-climactic though since I really have no use for Bluetooth file transfers... LOL... but I know now Bluetooth is working though. Now I can change my sig.
    Last edited by rscheller; 02-21-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links