Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: WiFi tips, tricks & problems

rscheller
    OK thanks again... I was able to downgrade to driver V5.93.97.168... it was my error.
    My WiFi seems to working fine with that version but sadly it didn't help my Bluetooth connection disconnect after about 10sec issue.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    911 times
    What I find interesting is that with all the traveling I do...and using WIFI in numerous locations in various states...

The most current driver actually works the best, and nearly without a single problem anywhere.

I suspect this comes down to the WIFI router with which folks are connecting. Each router can have its own "uniqueness" when it comes to handshaking with various devices. My T100 has worked in literally dozens of hotels, airports, restaurants, other homes, businesses, as well as this base location - all with the .187 driver. What I have seen is that in at least some of those locations, the security setup varies - typically WPA2 with a passcode at times, but usually the other locales have WEP with open access.

I suspect there might be some "quick judgement" about the .187 driver version being the source of issues. I'd me more suspect of the security setups on routers, as well as things like reserved or DHCP IP's, and even firewalls that can be "uncooperative" with some WIFI connections.

Based on my extensive use in extensive locations...the evidence I've seen is that the .187 T100 WIFI adapter driver is operating just fine.
    rscheller and ToiPai like this.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

rscheller
    ASUSFAN0001... which .187 driver do you mean? There's actually two available drivers that end with .187... there's 5.93.98.187 and 5.93.99.187. My personal experience shows 98.187 works well but 99.187 does not connect to my WiFi AP. In fact I'll likely revert back to 98.187 from 97.168 since my recent experiment to try and fix my disconnecting Bluetooth problem is still unresolved with either driver.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    What I find interesting is that with all the traveling I do...and using WIFI in numerous locations in various states...

The most current driver actually works the best, and nearly without a single problem anywhere....
    I am using the latest version 5.93.99.187 and I only use public wifi.
    I have to agree with ASUSFAN0001, I have never had a problem that was caused by my T100. Any time I do have a problem I look around to see others scratching their heads or wandering around trying to get a better signal and it's obvious the wifi 'hotspot' is at fault not the computers
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 02-11-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
    rscheller likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Please share were to get the wireless driver which you are using.
    Thank you

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rscheller View Post
    OK thanks again... I was able to downgrade to driver V5.93.97.168... it was my error.
    My WiFi seems to working fine with that version but sadly it didn't help my Bluetooth connection disconnect after about 10sec issue.
    Please share where to get your wireless driver.
    Thank you

rscheller
    Asus.com > support > download

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    *shrugs shoulders*, it could also be a specific hardware version of the SDIO adapter. Just because they are all Broadcom SDIO 802.11b/g/n adapters doesn't mean there are different flavors of the same one in the various T100s.

I've tried it on several different Wifi routers and it all behaves the same, at least with WPA2. I am not willing to use wifi with anything less (unless it is public and my only choice). A couple of different brands (TP-Link and Netgear, as well as a Sierra Wireless portable hotspot), and they all behave the same on the 98.187 and 99.187. Frequent "limited connectivity" and it hardlocks if I attempt to disable and reenable the adapter in anyway. Only a reboot works.

I've tried many different settings, DHCP, static IP, static gateway, dynamic gateway, static DNS, dynamic DNS and so on.

The only thing that will get either flavor of .187 to work properly is settings ONLY 20MHz mode, at least on 2.4GHz (I don't have any 5GHz routers). 40MHz mode causes significant problems.

Of course it also means losing about 40% of my wifi speed if I run it in only 20MHz mode and the wifi is already fairly slow, so not a viable option for me. .168 works okay, though I do wish "limited network connectivity" never happened, but it is only an occasional nussiance easily solved by a quick disconnect and reconnect.

None of my other Windows 8 or 8.1 devices do this.

However, I have seen a number of threads on other forums where people with other Windows 8.1 machines are encountering this exact same problem, also frequently after having woken from sleep (S3 mostly, not connected standby as I see it mostly talking about laptops from 1-3 years in age rolling win8.1), but not always after sleep. The exact same behavior, "limited network connectivity" and attempting to disconnect and reconnect doesn't work and attempting to disable and reenable the adapter results in a hardlock and only a reboot fixes the connection.

So I think this is a Windows 8.1 issue combined with probably an issue in the drivers for 8.1.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    For example Windows 8.1 Causing Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues possible solutions for surface owners Microsoft News | Solution for Wi-Fi ?Limited Connectivity error? on the Microsoft Surface I haven't tried it yet, but I will (odd that heuristics and autotunning could cause it, but I guess)

One note, most of the problems I have seen in threads are Broadcom related problems and Windows 8.1.

Oh and the only 99.187 driver I have seen out there is for Sony laptops and 64-bit Windows (which I think I've tried and didn't work). The Asus support website lists the 98.187 as the newest currently.
    Last edited by azazel1024; 02-12-2014 at 07:01 AM.

rscheller
    Thanks azazel1024 for your thorough and informative posts. Seems we may be stuck dealing with a small bit Wifi / Bluetooth issue until "they" get it sorted out. I still love my T100 in spite of it's little issues.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links