Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: WiFi tips, tricks & problems

rscheller
    Go into "device manager" and right click on your "Broadcomm" Network device then select "uninstall" then reboot your T100 it should "see the new device" and reinstall the driver.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a different WiFi issue with my Asus T100. It doesn't seem to remember my settings. Most of the time when I click to select my wireless connection I see the message saying the settings has been changed since the last time. I am then asked to enter my network password and it says it's incorrect when it is correct, even if I copied and pasted the password. My other devices don't have this issue. Resetting the router, deleting the device from the router's device list, or enabling/disabling WiFi on the T100 works most of the time. My wireless network is set up as WPA2-PSK with no MAC filtering.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Is this a recent problem?

The two suggestions I have are setting your wireless router to give a fixed IP address to your T100. Depending on router, probably under a LAN settings tab, most/all I've seen have an option to assign a device to a static IP list so it'll give out the same IP address everytime the device asks for a new DHCP reservation.

The second suggestion is go in to the device properties and try setting the driver version back to Microsoft signed driver (should be the last option on the list).

I had a similar issue with, I think it was. 99.187.1 where it refused to accept my SSID password and I had to disable and re-enable Wifi to get it to work, that or reboot (sometimes it required a reboot to start working). Its when I rolled it back to 98.168 MS signed driver again after struggling with it for a few hours.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Is this a recent problem?

The two suggestions I have are setting your wireless router to give a fixed IP address to your T100. Depending on router, probably under a LAN settings tab, most/all I've seen have an option to assign a device to a static IP list so it'll give out the same IP address everytime the device asks for a new DHCP reservation.

The second suggestion is go in to the device properties and try setting the driver version back to Microsoft signed driver (should be the last option on the list).

I had a similar issue with, I think it was. 99.187.1 where it refused to accept my SSID password and I had to disable and re-enable Wifi to get it to work, that or reboot (sometimes it required a reboot to start working). Its when I rolled it back to 98.168 MS signed driver again after struggling with it for a few hours.
    Brand new Asus T100. It still happens with the Microsoft drivers. Fun thing I learned... While I was setting up my Microsoft Account when I booted up my T100 for the first time, I didnt realize my T100 disconnected from the internet while I entered the verification code. Windows 8.1 got stuck at an endless please wait screen for 20 minutes. I went to look at the router's device list and noticed the T100 wasn't connected to it.

EDIT: This was another issue I had. I get connection and everything is fine but... I dont' know why I get a red x over my connection...

Last edited by LancerKnightX; 03-19-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Interesting observation, but if you disable WOL for the wifi adapter, it also disables connected standby. Hard lesson learned there trying to figure out why it suddenly stopped working (IE it won't go to sleep, period).

Other interesting tid bit, check this selection from a thread on another device forum.

-------------------------------------
    Last 3 dec I bought a W3-810 and I like it very much. A few days later I upgraded to windows 8.1. All works fine except for the wifi connectivity issue. I tried lots of things with updates and different driver versions but the problem still exists. When the W3 comes out of Standy the connection has a the litle yellow exclamation mark and there is no internet traffic possible.

But I have come up with a simple and elegant solution.

This is what I did:

If the connection is limited, the Event Log makes an entry regarding no DNS resolution.

I use this as a trigger to run a small BAT command prompt script which does the following:

It disables the Broadcom network device, and enables it again,
    then stops and starts the Wlan Autoconfig Service and it reconnects to my wifi network.

This is what the script looks like.

C:\>devcon disable *PID_4330*

C:\>devcon enable *PID_4330*

C:\>net stop wlansvc

C:\>net start wlansvc

C:\>netsh wlan connect name=thuis

C:\>exit

(Of course for the name you have to use your own SSID.)

You can find the "PID_4330" value at the device properties in the device manager.

Make it in Notepad and save it as a .BAT file and put it in your documents dir.

(Make sure to unhide "known file extensions" in your Folder Options first, otherwise your filename will end on .bat.txt and won't run)

Now create a shortcut to the .BAT file and put it on the desktop.
    You will have to do this to run the .BAT as an administrator.

Devcon is a little tool from Microsoft. Download it and put the 32-bit version in the Windows\System32 directory.

Now go to the Event Viewer in the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Eventviewer, and in the Eventviewer, under System Events, try to find an entry which says : DNS Client Event(1014).

Right click this entry and create a task for this event.
    The action for this task is to run the BAT script.
    Make sure to unselect the option that the task only runs connected to the mains power.
    Set all the other options as you please.

You can go to the Task Scheduler to edit and maintain this task afterwards.

What you now have is a W3 tablet that is aware of the connection status and as soon it is down, will start kicking the wifi until its up again.
    Because the scripts only takes a few seconds to run and you can run it minimized, its almost invisible.

Good Luck!

Rene
    ----------------------------------------------

I am thinking I'll give this a shot at some point. The newer wireless drives just won't work for me, period. At best I'll get a couple of hours of stability and then hard locks and constant disconnects. That original .168 driver works pretty well, but I do still get a limited connectivity bit every 12-48hrs. It seems most common if I wander between my two access points with the T100 in connected standby, it'll connect to the new one when roaming, but when I wake it, it seems like it didn't properly associate...despite its claims to the contrary. It isn't an everytime thing and occasionally I'll lose the connection if its been sitting on the same AP the entire time, or when awake and on the same AP or roaming between...but the occurance is about 75% of limited connectivities seems to occur if the T100 roamed to another AP in my house while in connected standby, about 15-20% occur right out of connected standby and the T100 was last used on the same AP it is connected to and was never carried around. The other 5-10% occur several minutes or more after being woken from sleep with no apparent association with roaming or connected standby.

So most, on .168, seem to have to do with connect standby. With the other driver versions, no connected standby association. It'll crash 3 minutes after booting, especially with .187.1 now, it doesn't like working for more than a couple of minutes before locking up (especially RDP for some reason. If I initiate an RDP session I can count down from 15 and it'll lock. Doing other things, it seems like I can get 2-5 minutes before it'll lock after booting). .168 Broadcom signed and the earlier .98.187 I can get a few hours between losing it, but I have to reboot to regain network access and it does also happen at 2-4x the rate of MS signed .168.

Anyway...I am probably going to give that batch file a try at some point. Right now, it only takes 5-8s to disconnect from my network and then reconnect and it'll work fine, but if the system can just detect when it has a problem and restore the service on its own...

Actually I'll probably tweak the batch file, so instead of going to the trouble of disabling the adapter and reenabling, I'll probably just go with

netsh wlan disconnect (I think that the interface name is optional if there is only one, otherwise I'll have to play with the syntax to add interface="")
    netsh wlan connect name="my SSID"
    exit

Have it run minimized. That likely should take care of it for me, as 99% of the time disconnecting and reconnecting works fine.

Looking through my event log, I have a fair number of the 1014 DNS resolution issues. No, manually entering a DNS in to my wireless adapter IPv4 and IPv6 properties does not prevent the limited connectivity issue at all.

So even if I can't actually solve the issue, I may well have found a way to make it completely transparent to myself, other than possibly having a 2-5s lag on a connection really initiating (and no idea how long it takes for the 1014 event to be triggered once it can't connect properly. Sometimes it'll show limited connectivity coming out of sleep, othertimes I'll notice I can't connect and then disconnect and reconnect from my network before it even pops the limited connectivity icon and other times, I won't really try anything network related, but then I'll see the limited connectivity icon after 1-3 minutes of having woken it).

Worth a try anyway.
    curmudgeon likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Well the batch file works. Though I realized that it'll only work on my local network. So I may want to play with the adapter disable and re-enable commands instead at some point. Though I am using my t100 on my home network 99% of the time or with WiFi disabled somewhere else. Now to see if the event will properly trigger it and then change it over to run minimized. So far so good.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey guys,

I wanted to warn in advance (the issue hasnt been confirmed yet) if you aspire to install GNU/Linux on this device, hold off on the latest broadcom update. It appears to break wifi under Linux, we also need someone who has installed this update to install linux and see if it works or not (if someone wants to volunteer i can help get it installed).

Wifi under linux is still apparently buggy and we are waiting for updated drivers, so this will probably be fixed pretty quickly anyway, just a warning.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    After installing the latest SOC Hotfix I decided to try Broadcom Wifi update 5.93.99.187.1 again, I had problems with this update before, see HERE
    But, after installing I had problems:
    • The passwords were gone from the wifi networks, this is not really a problem if it's a 'clean install'
    • The connection was not as good or as fast, I used 5.93.99.187 and it was good, then updated to 5.93.99.187.1 but not so good, then System restore back to 5.93.99.187 and it was good again
    • The weird one is that my MicroSDHC card wasn't recognised after the update, I tried countless Restarts, Turn Off and On, insert card before and after turning On. Windows made the inserted sound but didn't show it in Explorer, everything was slow so I guess Explorer was busy trying to recognize the card, it also made the removed sound. I couldn't understand why this update would do this then I noticed that 5.93.99.187.1 update installs Microsoft Visual C++ there were 2 items installed so I wonder if it might be what is causing problems for me.
    After the System Restore back to 5.93.99.187 which also removed Microsoft Visual C++ the card situation is fixed

Curiouser and curiouser
    Last edited by FrillyBits; 03-27-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Well the batch file works. Though I realized that it'll only work on my local network. So I may want to play with the adapter disable and re-enable commands instead at some point. Though I am using my t100 on my home network 99% of the time or with WiFi disabled somewhere else. Now to see if the event will properly trigger it and then change it over to run minimized. So far so good.
    Yes, it's working! Ive been using this batch file for the last 24 hours and finally no more limited connectivity! But I had to use the .168 MS drivers, the latest ones seemed to hard lock the WiFi card. Thanks for the finding Azazel1024! I can now enjoy both speed and stability.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    More than welcome. You can also try disabling and reenabling the WiFi service. Just search on netsh disbale WiFi and nets enable WiFi its what I may try to do instead, but I mostly use it on my home network. I just have the task setup to only run of connected to my network. I also added a delay, 20 pings to my local loop back host (127.0.0.1) at the end of the batch file and the task set to not start a new one if its already running

I did the later because Ive had once where I woke my T100, started mail and it disconnected my network and reconnected 3 times as it popped 3 different DNS resolution events over about 10s for each of my 3 email services. So this way it'll trigger on the first one and prevent it from running again for about 15-20 seconds.

And yeah, sadly only .168 will work for me. Anything newer hard locks the WiFi service requiring a reboot. Mine seems like it might be related mostly to the fact that my two access points are running on different channels. Windows 8.1/Broadcom drivers are not handling the transition between the two gracefully during connected standby. Mostly it works, but 75+% of my limited connectivity issues I've noticed are when I moved my T100 between the access points while in connected standby.

Doing extensive digging it seems like there are some issues with sleep and connected standby when roaming between access points on the same SSID with different channels. Apparently it thinks its reconnected at the new access point, but it continues trying to talk on the old channels, or something like that.

That can't be all of it, as I've had limited connectivity on single access point networks, plus just leaving my T100 on the same access point, but in all cases 95%+ or my issues occur when resuming from connected standby. Rarely just in regular use, but it has happened. Its just much more common roaming in connected standby.

Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links