Thread: WiFi tips, tricks & problems

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    I've been using that driver since it came out...not a single problem.
    Please help me with the settings. I am still required to use the airplane toggle trick to get my wireless to work after the tablet goes to sleep n battery power.
    Is there a setting which can be changed to prevent this disconnection while the tablet goes to sleep?
    Thank you

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Okay, my Wifi has been getting increasingly unstable. Now Its locking up 2-3 times a day and I have to reboot it, which is locks up doing and I have to hard reset it. Didn't used to do that with .168.

So I went to the newest drivers again, still have to reboot, but it does it gracefully, but it also looses connection 2-3x faster.

So, walk me through this, like I am a simpleton.

How do you guys upgrade the driver? In the past I've been selecting just the .inf file. However, there is a heck of a lot more in that driver package. I also see a setup batch file, but if I try to run it normally, it doesn't seem to work, with admin priveleages it seems to, but I am 99% sure my driver version doesn't end up changing when I do, only when I manually choose the driver inf file through upgrading the driver.

I am about at the point of doing a full system restore and reloading everything.

Thanks.

rscheller
    only when I manually choose the driver inf file through upgrading the driver
    This is the method I've learned to use and seems to always work. The only thing I don't like in using this method my T100 shows five drivers available in the list and... unless I'm missing something, from the file listing, they all look exactly the same except one ends with (MICROSOFT) and the other four end with (BROADCOMM).

Once updated, I then double check the driver version to make sure "it is" the version I want then I power cycle the T100.

FYI
    I've been testing V5.93.99.187 for a few days now and I noticed last evening that my browser page load times (little scrolling repeating dots above the URL window) and the time was often taking a long time to load and the same when returning back to previous pages.

I hate to do it but to me that's broken... this evening, I'm going back to V5.93.97.168 (MICROSOFT)... that's the one driver that has always worked solidly for me... any of the others have been less than solid.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    .168 has always been solid, but randomly a couple of days ago its stopped working well. Instead of 1-2 times per day getting limited network connectivity and just being able to disconnect and reconnect to the network to fix it, my netstack is crashing again and rebooting/shutting down hangs.

It is also happening 2-4 times per day now. I tried going to the latest driver, and it was worse (except no hanging) and then back again, and still just as bad.

I tried uninstalling the bluetooth UART and letting it reinstall, still just as bad.

The only thing I can think of is maybe try leaving bluetooth on, as I always have it disabled. See if maybe that changes anything.

Beyond that it is playing with the package install, a different driver version (like 98.187) again or a restore.

I noticed a week or two ago, I had 3 broadcom options and the MS option. Now it is just 2 broadcom options and the MS option. No clue what changed there.

Also my audio driver, while it seems to have been working, I think got corrupted some how. Audio playback was working, buy trying to run FF7 PC it would fail to launch, I found something in a forum that someone mentioned bad audio/video drivers could do that, reinstalled the latest audio driver package and it is working again.

So I am wondering if something (and I haven't done anything other than the normal windows defender updates) in the last week or so corrupted some stuff on my T100. I can't for the life of me think what could have, but it seems to of.

I am really hoping I don't have to do a restore. I had a hard enough time getting it to work properly to start with (though I think I know what caused my initial setup issues when I got my T100), and beyond that, its just a lengthy pain in my butt to reload and re-update everything.

rscheller
    I sympathize azazel1024... although I think your overall issues are worse than mine, I have nothing to really help you with.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post

So, walk me through this, like I am a simpleton.

How do you guys upgrade the driver?
    As I've mentioned earlier. I used the Asus Live Update to update my Wifi driver, which is as simpleton as you can get.

Here's what Asus Live showed me as items it was going to install, one of them was the latest Broadcom driver.

I've often found in the past when installing drivers on my other systems, that sometimes a driver is reliant upon some other item requirement being installed or updated. For example, sometimes a specific version of DirectX needed to be installed for a Graphics or audio driver to function properly. I figure the Asus Live update method would take care of those possible reliant items for me.

As another example, as you can see in my Asus Live update when I installed the latest Wifi driver, it shows the "Broadcom Driver and Application", an "SOC Driver Pack" and a "T100TAFWupdate". I have no idea what those other items are for, and figured it was best to update them as well. If you downloaded the Broadcom Driver directly and installed it, then you probably didn't get those other updates and maybe that could be a reason as to why you're currently experiencing problems?
    Last edited by Rednroll; 03-04-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    It is certainly possible. I went the batch file router on 99.187. I'll see how it goes. If it starts getting bad again I'll probably restore and use Live Update to get back up to date.
    rscheller likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    My latest Wifi struggles update. After the Wifi getting horrendous, I uninstalled the wifi adapter through device manager, rebooted where upon it reinstalled the driver (as 99.187). I then manually opened an admin level command prompt and ran the 99.187 setup batch file. Since then its been fairly stable. I've gotten two "limited connectivity" errors in the last 18 hours and nothing for almost 2 days before that. Both times it let me disconnect and reconnect to the network gracefully, just like 98.168 MS signed drivers were. I haven't tested any network speed to see if it is faster under the latest drivers or not, but my wifi is showing the correct connection speed now and it isn't locking the netstack when it gets limited connectivity or hanging on reboot.

So, at least so far and tentatively, things seem back to "normal" and maybe a hair better than before (remains to be seen over the next few days). Its still a little annoying, but very livable compared to the few days before I switched things up again.

My only guess is that windows got tired of partial installs and swapping drivers around (or something).

Also it looks like the proper way to upgrade really is to run the batch setup file and not manually choosing the inf (the batch file actually installs TWO infs). I am still fuzzy one what else the stuff in the package is for. The total lack of any readme file is VERY annoying, especially since there are several exe and com files and stuff in there, but no instructions on what any of them are for (several look like they might be tools, but even running them on the command line isn't forthcoming in terms of what they do, though I haven't tried running any with a /? option to see if any have built in instructions).

sigh.
    rscheller likes this.

rscheller
    I've forced myself to stay at 99.187 for almost a week now and without any special efforts to do any empirical testing other than my "actual use perception" of connectivity, I'd say 99.187 is not quite as good as 97.168 (MS).
    When I switch drivers, I'm just going into Device Manager and then selecting "update driver" then "browse my computer"... I have five drivers that show up on that list and the one from 97.168 (MS) is easy to ID and the one at the top of the list is 99.187 when I select it. So it's easy to try switching now. When I first got the driver packages, I ran the setup batch files for each but I've not done that since.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    I think 99.187 was the only one that I didn't do that with, which might be what messed things up by loading it up by just selecting the inf, and then later downgrading to 98.168. Probably missing driver components that was messing things up. So, things seem semi sort of stable now (if not overly reliable, it is at least somewhat predictable and tolerable).

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links