Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Hdmi Connection to tv:Wifi Slow as hell

Hi guys,

Don’t blame me – but it’s my very first post

I recently bought the 32gb+500gb Version. Now I am facing problems!

When I want to connect my TV with my T100 via Micro HDMI the Wifi is going down! Normaly I have around 13000, with Hdmi and TV swichted on, I have around 1000 or less. Sometimes its like 20…so not possible to have it like this.

It only happens I select to use the TV as external monitor. If I just connect to the TV with the cable and don’t extend the video the wifi is fine…

I connect like this:

T100->Mini HDMI to Micro HDMI Connector->Mini HDMI to HDMI 2cm cable->5m HDMI cable (I know strange way to connect, but I already had this stuff…)

I already tried the normal things like
    -connect disconnect to other hdmi ports at my tv
    -refresh windows 8.1
    -reinstall driver (latest update from asus)

Why is it not working?I’m starting to get annoyed by this issue

Thank you for your support!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times

Improving WiFi with External Monitor Connected

I had this exact problem. The data rate would drop from 16 Mbit/sec to 1 - 2 Mbit/sec when an external monitor was connected. It seems to be that the signal going out through the HDMI port interferes with the WiFi.

I was able to improve the data rate so that it was pretty much unaffected by the external monitor connection. You can improve it by rearranging the cable so it leads straight to the side away from the T100 and by using the right cable.

A Mediabrdige HDMI to Micro-HDMI cable works the best for me. Using an HDMI to micro-HDMI adapter with a regular HDMI cable worked the worst.

I describe what I did in more detail below.

The upload rate was never affected by the cable, only the download rate.

Googling showed me that there are people with laptops from various manufacturers who also find the data rate to be affected by plugging in an HDMI cable.

I eventually found that the data transfer rate depended on what cable I used and how it was arranged.

Worst transfer rate was with a straight hdmi cable and an hdmi to microhdmi adapter at the end. I noticed that if I put my cellphone on this cable then the wifi data rate of my cellphone was affected too.

A Cable Matters hdmi to microhdmi cable was better, but not perfect. If part of the cable was draped over the T100 then the data rate slowed quite a bit. If the cable was arranged so it led straight away from the t100 then the data rate was faster, but still not as fast as without it connected. Data rate was maybe a little better with the charger plugged in. My theory is that this keeps interference from going in the microusb port.

The following cable that I got from Amazon was much better.
    Mediabridge FLEX Series Micro-HDMI to HDMI Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]

The cable gave me a download data rate of about 18 Mbits/s as tested on speedtest.net, which was about the same as I got without the hdmi cable connected.

When copying large files via network neighborhood to or from another pc then I get a transfer rate of 5-6 MBytes/s. This was unaffected by whether or not the cable was connected, so for me, I consider the problem resolved.

The data rate from another pc using the Unitek wired ethernet adapter was 10 MBytes/sec to the T100 and 20 MBytes/sec from the T100. I did not try moving the T100 closer to my WiFi router so I do not know if the wifi data rate can reach this level.

UNITEK USB3.0 3 ports HUB with 1 RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter with LED indicator for Notebooks, Ultrabooks and tablets with USB ports, USB bus powered

I read somewhere on line where someone thought the Unitek adapter was slow and that other ethernet adapters should be faster than the unitek one.

When I first had the problem I contacted Asus. They did not offer any helpful advice. They just offered to give me an rma number to get it repaired.

I use it mostly for media viewing like Netflix and it is definitely much better than my old Asus TF700,very smooth operation and better wifi connection. I was worried about the screen resolution being lower than the 1900x1200 of the TF700, but it seems quite clear. You can set the T100 to use the external monitor at its resolution, 1900 x 1200 in my case, along with the internal display, just like for a regular laptop.

I also tried plugging in an Edimax USB3.0 wifi adapter. Its data rate was unaffected by all the cable switching but for some reason the upload data rate using it was much slower than with the builtin wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Soren2014 View Post
    Hi guys,

Don’t blame me – but it’s my very first post

I recently bought the 32gb+500gb Version. Now I am facing problems!

When I want to connect my TV with my T100 via Micro HDMI the Wifi is going down! Normaly I have around 13000, with Hdmi and TV swichted on, I have around 1000 or less. Sometimes its like 20…so not possible to have it like this.

It only happens I select to use the TV as external monitor. If I just connect to the TV with the cable and don’t extend the video the wifi is fine…

I connect like this:

T100->Mini HDMI to Micro HDMI Connector->Mini HDMI to HDMI 2cm cable->5m HDMI cable (I know strange way to connect, but I already had this stuff…)

I already tried the normal things like
    -connect disconnect to other hdmi ports at my tv
    -refresh windows 8.1
    -reinstall driver (latest update from asus)

Why is it not working?I’m starting to get annoyed by this issue

Thank you for your support!
    azazel1024 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Any of them HDMI1.4 cables? To the best of my knowledge the T100 only supports up through 1.3.

I've seen some posts of XDA and others with earlier Transformer pads where plugging in a 1.4 cable cause the Wifi to just completely lock up.

There shouldn't be any wifi interference going on from the cable itself. None of the clock rates are going to be over 650MHz max, well outside of even 2.4GHz wifi. I suppose it is possible that there could be some minor inductance/coupling going on between wires in the cable, which pushes the signal frequency up to 2.4GHz levels. Heterodyne effect I guess could cause this, but you would be looking at something like 4, roughly 650MHz signals and a lower frequency signal to push it up to around Wifi (heterodyning is the EM effect where two radio signals combine to create two new signals, one at f1+f2 and one at f1-f2. So you could get, say, 650+650+650+650-125 to be right smack in Wifi, but I don't think you'd find all of that on an HDMI cable).

I think more likely you are looking at system stability issues caused by an incompatible cable than it is Wifi interference from the cable.

USB3 on the other hand operates AT 2.4GHz over the cable and can THRASH Wifi if the port, cable or USB3 device are anywhere close to your Wifi antenna(s). Especially if none of it is shielded (which generally it isn't).

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links