Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times

Fresh install. Need my Windows 8.1 product key

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 due to having some issues with errors. My computer runs fine, but now I get a message saying to activate my Windows. Does anyone know where I can find my old key like is it on the keyboard or box somewhere I am not looking?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    No where. If you didn't use the recovery partition, its going to be non-activated. You may be able to call Asus with your models serial number (this is on the tablet portion near the hinge) to get it, supposing Asus can look it up.

Computer manufacturers ceased providing the Windows key roughly around Windows 7/7sp1. In part it was because some people would buy a machine, grab the windows key off the device, and then reutnr the machine and use the key for an install on something else.

Long past are the days that the window key is printed on ANYTHING. So if you do a fresh install, unless you have the serial number from a copy of windows 8/8.1 you purchased, likely you are up a creek. Or looking around for key crackers/windows activators...which I can't advocate as that isn't legal.

Try Asus, otherwise you are out of luck.

If you didn't remove it, you can reinstall from the restore partition. spam the F9 key on reboot and you'll be presented with it. You'll have to login to Microsoft's bitlocker key retrieval system (directions are in the restore tool/steps) to retrieve your machine's restore key (this is NOT the Windows key), but then you'll restore from the restore partition, which is already activated and you'll have no key problems.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    10 times
    No product key, the installation is tied to your firmware ID.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    So if you dont need a key to install anyway,
    where can we find a good 8.1 iso to install on the T100 ?

I have around 13gb free on the T100 32gb with not a lot of apps installed and office has been removed it seems.
    Is that normal? (thisis the only reason a clean install interests me)
    Last edited by beginning; 01-10-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    No where. If you didn't use the recovery partition, its going to be non-activated. You may be able to call Asus with your models serial number (this is on the tablet portion near the hinge) to get it, supposing Asus can look it up.

Computer manufacturers ceased providing the Windows key roughly around Windows 7/7sp1. In part it was because some people would buy a machine, grab the windows key off the device, and then reutnr the machine and use the key for an install on something else.

Long past are the days that the window key is printed on ANYTHING. So if you do a fresh install, unless you have the serial number from a copy of windows 8/8.1 you purchased, likely you are up a creek. Or looking around for key crackers/windows activators...which I can't advocate as that isn't legal.

Try Asus, otherwise you are out of luck.

If you didn't remove it, you can reinstall from the restore partition. spam the F9 key on reboot and you'll be presented with it. You'll have to login to Microsoft's bitlocker key retrieval system (directions are in the restore tool/steps) to retrieve your machine's restore key (this is NOT the Windows key), but then you'll restore from the restore partition, which is already activated and you'll have no key problems.
    Thanks. I may call in a little while and see if they can do anything or try to restore it

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    12 times
    The Key is in the UEFI Bios under secure key settings, but I am unsure if you could get the actual key values from that. As I understand it Windows should automatically read the key from the UEFI secure key save in the firmware. There are programs to extract the key once it is already activated. You may have better luck calling Microsoft and they can remote activate it for you over the phone. You will probably have to supply them with the serial number of the device.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    15 times
    There is a Windows 8 key and an Office key. The Office key came on a card in the box with your computer. I used software called ProduKey to get my Windows 8 product key. A reinstall from recovery should have automatically activated Windows with your product key. You'll need the product key with a clean install from an iso. Do you still have your recovery partition? Reinstall from that and you should be all set. Then, use ProduKey to get your Windows 8 key. Write it down and store it in a safe place.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    11 times
    cool, i downloaded that program from cnet to extract my key.
    i tried to download an iso with the "product key only" feature microsoft offers on their website,
    and it said "Your product key is not compatible for downloading a Retail version of windows 8.1"

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I had this problem before with a Asus laptop. You will need to install a software from Asus, its called keyboard filter, search for it. I'm pretty this was what worked for me.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by apollstar View Post
    I reinstalled Windows 8.1 due to having some issues with errors. My computer runs fine, but now I get a message saying to activate my Windows. Does anyone know where I can find my old key like is it on the keyboard or box somewhere I am not looking?
    If your tablet is still in warranty Asus will reinstall the operating system for you at no charge.
    I know cause I entered a pro key in mine and it did not take..as it was an enterprise key. I called Asus and they paid for shipping both ways and I got the tablet back like new.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links