Like Tree57Likes

Thread: OFFICIAL T100 microSD Discussion & Help Thread

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    As explained in this blog post and accompanying video, each microSD card has a built-in CPU. The CPU of a given make and model number can change at any time and there will be no notice. The manufacturers do not reveal when such changes are made and the microSD card name and model numbers stay the same.

On Hacking MicroSD Cards bunnie's blog

This means that the same exact card is often not the same card at all. If you have trouble with a card, returning it for replacement with a card of the same model number could resolve the issue.

For instance, the Sandisk Ultra 64 is very popular among T100 users. Some have no issues at all with that card, others have tremendous issues. There seems to be no easy way to identify which sub version of a card one has. Trial and error is the only solution for now.
    Last edited by Banise; 01-17-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    Tor likes this.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    As explained in this blog post and accompanying video, each microSD card has a built-in CPU. The CPU of a given make and model number can change at any time and there will be no notice. The manufacturers do not reveal when such changes are made and the microSD card name and model numbers stay the same.

This means that the same exact card is often not the same card at all. If you have trouble with a card, returning it for replacement with a card of the same model number could resolve the issue.

For instance, the Sandisk Ultra 64 is very popular among T100 users. Some have no issues at all with that card, others have tremendous issues. There seems to be no easy way to identify which sub version of a card one has. Trial and error is the only solution for now.
    Agree. Good Summary.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post

Pretty much.

To complicate things further, even if we DID know what controller was in use on the micro SD card, it doesn't mean similar cards are exactly the same. I used to have a couple of identical motherboards, running the exact same BIOS, RAM, CPU, EVERYTHING exactly the same between the two systems. One had a base clock (they were Sandy Bridge based systems) that was being driven at 100.03Mhz, the other one was driving at 100.17Mhz. What should have been identical hardware (it was all even bought at the sametime, so it should have been the same CPU steppings, etc, etc), was not operating at exactly the same exact speeds.

Since this appears to be a clock speed issue with NCRC, it really might just be that if the micro SD card controller drives the interface at just a few kilohertz off one way or another, it might just be enough to drive it in to the range where the Bay Trail SD host controller cannot cope, and fails to initialize the card.

I think the only two real pieces of advice are

1) Wait and hope Asus can and will release a BIOS fix or driver fix that will correct the problem.
    2) Possibly have to try returning your micro SD card and trying a different one

Number 2 could be potentially very frustrating (and possibly cost you some money and deffinitely time) and it could be you strike out with 2 or 3 cards before you get a working one.

It is always possible to it is something wrong with the micro SD card reader itself after all that, in your specific T100.

Sadly, there just don't seem to be any other options right now.
    Last edited by azazel1024; 01-17-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

T100 UHS-1 Class Incompatibility

Quote Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
    Pretty much.

To complicate things further, even if we DID know what controller was in use on the micro SD card, it doesn't mean similar cards are exactly the same. I used to have a couple of identical motherboards, running the exact same BIOS, RAM, CPU, EVERYTHING exactly the same between the two systems. One had a base clock (they were Sandy Bridge based systems) that was being driven at 100.03Mhz, the other one was driving at 100.17Mhz. What should have been identical hardware (it was all even bought at the sametime, so it should have been the same CPU steppings, etc, etc), was not operating at exactly the same exact speeds.

Since this appears to be a clock speed issue with NCRC, it really might just be that if the micro SD card controller drives the interface at just a few kilohertz off one way or another, it might just be enough to drive it in to the range where the Bay Trail SD host controller cannot cope, and fails to initialize the card.

I think the only two real pieces of advice are

1) Wait and hope Asus can and will release a BIOS fix or driver fix that will correct the problem.
    2) Possibly have to try returning your micro SD card and trying a different one

Number 2 could be potentially very frustrating (and possibly cost you some money and deffinitely time) and it could be you strike out with 2 or 3 cards before you get a working one.

It is always possible to it is something wrong with the micro SD card reader itself after all that, in your specific T100.

Sadly, there just don't seem to be any other options right now.

I had just gone to the Sandisk site and used their card compatibility feature. The T100 isn't even listed there. Not only that, but I searched other brands online for a non-UHS I class micro SD card (class 10 is good enough for me) and it is almost impossible to find one. This is not to say that these cannot be found. I am getting the impression that all the micro SD manufacturers are going the UHS route, already rendering my new 32 GB T100 obsolete. Even using UHS-I class via a USB 3.0 adapter seems a matter of luck due to the clocking issue. I am new to the tablet world, so it makes me nervous that a feature is already compromised[/B].

Though the embedded card reader is slower than the USB, I thought I could have recovery or alternatives sitting on the card instead of being dependent on always having a dedicated jump drive to carry around. I am not so sure that "ghosting" for full system restore is possible with SkyDrive, and there are no guarantees that internet will be available just when you need to recover, let alone rising data downloading charges. I guess I have yet to determine the T100's best use under its limits.

I am going to research best use of micro SD cards.Believe me, I was not expecting it to perform like a full-throttle laptop but, unless someone more experienced can enlighten me otherwise, this thing may be going back within 6 days (before the 30 days are up). I am crossing my fingers but not holding my breath. In the meantime, I am grateful to you for your commendable research and team work. This is a great site!
    Last edited by Carlotta; 01-18-2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I had to think it through more.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    5 times
    How about taking the 32 back and getting the 64GB one?

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
    I had just gone to the Sandisk site and used their card compatibility feature. The T100 isn't even listed there. Not only that, but I searched other brands online for a non-UHS I class micro SD card (class 10 is good enough for me) and it is almost impossible to find one. This is not to say that these cannot be found.
    It is common that those kinds of lists are several months behind in updates for new devices. The T100 is relatively new, and whether or not it is listed would also be based on how often the manufacturer actually updates their list. I know of another product which took nearly a year to list the TF101 after it was released.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    Wanted to give an update on my sdcard issues. My first sandisk 64 GB sdcard wouldn't work at all. Lots of error messages and would stop being recognized by the device after ten minutes. However it did work fine in other windows laptops. Returned the card for a new one and haven't had one problem in two days. S/N is SDSDQU-064G-AC46A.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Suspected UHS-I unreliability due to Bay Trail Processor

Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    It is common that those kinds of lists are several months behind in updates for new devices. The T100 is relatively new, and whether or not it is listed would also be based on how often the manufacturer actually updates their list. I know of another product which took nearly a year to list the TF101 after it was released.
    That is an excellent point. I had forgotten that I came across that in the past. Still, from what I am surmising from this and another SD card thread in this forum, the UHS-I card is best read via the USB3 port (with adapter). If the highest and best (meaning reliably consistent) use for the card reader is via non-UHS-I while manufacturers are now only making UHS-I, it seems counter-intuitive to the concept of flexible/streamlined portability - not to mention that hardware manufacturers are well aware of things like this in advance. While they knew this, it leaves me wondering why they included the card reader at all.

What am I missing? Was this just for the sake of transitioning people with non UHS-I cards to either a dongled or cloud existence at that price point, then?

It is a big disappointment for me as an introduction to ASUS. I mean, it was supposed to be the newest in its category. In case anyone is wondering, this was a gift. I had been holding out on purchasing anything until I learned more about non-PC/ laptop existence.

So, enuff whining from me then. If an embedded card reader that can handle UHS-I is important to me, I will just have to exchange it quickly.
    Last edited by Carlotta; 01-20-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dare_v View Post
    How about taking the 32 back and getting the 64GB one?
    Yes, it is a serious consideration to switch from the 32GB T100 to the 64 GB. I am thinking through how important the card reader issue would still be for me. I would have to research what other problems have been discovered, since this is my first introduction to ASUS. So I've got homework to do.

Thank you.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Too lazy to choose
    Liked
    291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
    That is an excellent point. I had forgotten that I came across that in the past. Still, from what I am surmising from this and another SD card thread in this forum, the UHS-I card is best read via the USB3 port (with adapter). If the highest and best (meaning reliably consistent) use for the card reader is via non-UHS-I while manufacturers are now only making UHS-I, it seems counter-intuitive to the concept of flexible/streamlined portability - not to mention that hardware manufacturers are well aware of things like this in advance. While they knew this, it leaves me wondering why they included the card reader at all.

What am I missing? Was this just for the sake of transitioning people with non UHS-I cards to either a dongled or cloud existence at that price point, then?

It is a big disappointment for me as an introduction to ASUS. I mean, it was supposed to be the newest in its category. In case anyone is wondering, this was a gift. I had been holding out on purchasing anything until I learned more about non-PC/ laptop existence.

So, enuff whining from me then. If an embedded card reader that can handle UHS-I is important to me, I will just have to exchange it quickly.
    I had linked to it a couple of pages ago, the issue is Bay Trail itself, there is a defect in the SoC that causes incompatibility with some micro SD cards running NCRC and DDR50, the former of which a few UHS-I cards use, the later of which all UHS-I micro SD cards use. Its really an Intel problem, not Asus. It just really depends on the specific card and mot even an entire model.

It is disappointing, but it sounds like Asus is aware of the problem and there may be a possible driver or BIOS work around in the works.

For compatibility listing, SanDisk and others aren't going to test and keep track of the dozens to hundreds of new devices a month that are relaxed world wide, especially not in a timely fashion.
    Last edited by azazel1024; 01-27-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Swipe and Minaba like this.

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links