Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: HDD in dock consumes power when T100 sleeps!!?? What's up ASUS???

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times

Angry HDD in dock consumes power when T100 sleeps!!?? What's up ASUS???

/This is officialy my new, main showstopper before Wifi issues/
    Most people complained about winupdate waking up T100... I had this also and solved by switching WU to notify only. I had sometimes issues with T100 being awake when taking it out of the bag... the tricks somewhat helped - now screen is mostly off when I put it out of the bag

...nevertheless battery drain in sleep mode remain unforgivable - much over 20+% during night (~8h)!!
    That is unless I disconnected it from dock - this magically reduced sleep drain to expected level ~1% / 8h

The reason is obvious - the dock is chewing battery. It took simple acoustic test to find out that it's HDD is making silent, faint noise... it appears always around 2-3 seconds after issuing sleep mode

[TL;DR - conclusions here]
    * when my T100 "sleeps" HDD in dock is "active"! I'm not that technically aware to say if it's actually rotating, or in some form of low power / heads parked state. But I can tell it keeps consuming power and judging by fast battery drain (for a sleeping machine) quite a lot of it.

* when T100 is awake and Windows in control it can perfectly spin it down and suspend - it becomes perfectly dead silent and (I hope) finally stops chewing electricity

Can someone confirm this?
    What am I suppose to do now?
    Certainly keeping dock de-attached is not an option. And I don't see any settings related to powering the bastard down neither in W8 nor in that UEFI crap (best I can do there is set date and password)

ASUS!!!??? IS this some form of joke, putting this (with Your logo on top) on the market with so many `out of the box` unsolved issues?
    Last edited by Swipe; 01-22-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    13 times
    2 days ago I realized that during the night my battery level dropped from 28% to 8% in 8-9 hours. Just like yours did. So I started testing.
    1) no apps in backgroud, dock disconnected, wifi on, bluetooth on - 1% every 5 hours
    2) some apps in background (chrome, deezer, facebook, etc.), dock disconnected, wifi on, bluetooth on - 1% every 3 hours
    3) no apps in background, dock connected, wifi on, bluetooth on - 3-4% every hour
    So I thought like you, that this is HDD's fault.
    But then once again I did second test (some apps in background (chrome, deezer, facebook, etc.), dock disconnected, wifi on, bluetooth on) and this time it took 4% in 1 hour.
    Now it looks random to me. I am still testing battery usage and searching what can be the cause of this behavior.
    I think that started recently, because in first 2 weeks of using it I didn't notice that drain.

I have 32+500 version with 2.20 bios and updates installed.
    Last edited by qbasob; 12-18-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for sharing this, I have yet to perform some more tests to measure other factors also.
    however this one was with/without dock and flight mode on - so bt and wifi were (should have been) disabled.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Is there a power button which is used to turn on/off the HDD in the keyboard? I really want to know

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm eager to know more about it, cause today when I wanted to wake my T100 it was dead, like really dead. I left it on standby by turning off screen with power button and closed lid with dock attached. It didn't wake up by itself, I had to charge it for couple of minutes until it finally it had about 5% of battery and then it started. I didn't notice exact battery level before going sleep but I'd swear it wasn't lower than 30% so this scenario looks quite similar to the one described by EeePadTransformerUser1101. So it will be about 30%+ in 12h.
    Looking forward to see what will come out of this thread and I will write update with new observations on possible dock batter drain.

EDIT:
    After another 2 days of checking, the 100% working solution is to enable airplane mode before going to sleep. I left my T100 in standby with airplane mode on and after 10h battery drain was 3%. So far I can live with that, but as I see it's win8.1 problem, so hopefully it'll be fixed in the future
    Last edited by mantidae; 12-20-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    @ soncaoxike
    no.
    There are no settings in W8.1 power options related to HDD either (as seen on my desktop). Maybe because it's a USB drive and as such visible to OS.

As I said I have no issues while OS is managing power - it's turning off HDD quickly (~1-2mins of inactivity) and there are no indicators that it's performing any activity.

The problem is when tablet sleeps (I suspect UEFI is managing power at that time) it will give power to USB port and "awake" hdd -even if it was off when sleep command. And it doesn't matter whenever I put it to sleep trough button, start menu, lid or whatever.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    13 times
    You can generate battery report from last 72 hours. Open Command Prompt (cmd.exe) and run this command:
    powercfg /batteryreport
    It will generate nice html file and you will know exact battery level before going to standby

EDIT:
    I just discovered two new commands!
    powercfg /energy
    and
    powercfg /sleepstudy

Second one looks promising. It generates reports like this:
    image_4b8133eb-3e9f-4397-847d-4def42662042.jpgimage_bd20fc1f-7459-4cc0-97ca-e3d0ba1dbc2a.jpg

When I return home I will immediately run these diagnostics on my T100
    Last edited by qbasob; 12-18-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    svimes likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    1 times
    @qbasob
    OK
    The time for undocked mode is looking nice... 6h of continuous sleep and only 1% drain reported ..... that 6h that explains why I'm a bit tired today

For docked mode (yesterday) I see small sessions connected standby interrupted by short active states (wtf)
    where standby is usually 1h (up to 1,5h) long and consumes 3% battery and active takes around 30-45seconds.

EDIT:
    powercfg /sleepstudy is intresting but results are... confusing.
    I will retest again docked session today to confirm this behavior and post moar results / screens.
    Last edited by EeePadTransformerUser1101; 12-18-2013 at 07:58 AM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Folks....how/when the T100 "sleeps" is as much a function of WIN 8.1 as anything else. There is a know issue with WIN8.1 NOT currently being configurable to properly shut off WIFI (for example) when supposedly in "sleep/hibernate" mode. Again...this is a WIN8.1 issue. It has been reported on about 10 other devices so far, not just the T100.

This same behavior of properly placing the device into "sleep" mode could also affect other aspects of battery use when someone has "turned off" their unit. There's every reason to believe that the SDD access while supposedly dormant could fall within this same mantra.

Microsoft is reportedly aware of the issue...and likely we'll see some form of update to address this in the near future.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    13 times
    Ok, so I ran powerfg /energy on undocked tablet:
    C:\Users\Jakub>powercfg /energy
    Enabling tracing for 60 seconds...
    Observing system behavior...
    Analyzing trace data...
    Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

1 Errors
    10 Warnings
    26 Informational

See C:\Users\Jakub\energy-report.html for more details.

This 1 error was connected to Intel SST Audio Driver

So I checked:
    powercfg -request
    and it returned:
    SYSTEM:
    [DRIVER] Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) (ACPI\80860F28\1)
    Obecnie jest używana transmisja strumieniowa audio. (there is audio stream transmission running)

Through trial and error I figured out that if I set audio volume to 0, powercfg -request returns nothing. So with 0 volume I checked powercfg /energy again and this time there was 0 errors. Now I will wait and see if that will reduce battery drain.

//EDIT:
    When docked I have 2 errors. The one above, and additionaly: 'USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend. The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.'.

//EDIT2:
    After 2 hours undocked standby there is no drain. Now I will enable sound and check it again.
    Last edited by qbasob; 12-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    svimes and iceman81 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links