Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times

Boot from USB (WinPe 3.0)

Hi guys,

I am trying to boot into Macrium Reflect that is running on WinPE 3.0 via USB.

I manage to get into BIOS via F2 on POST and make the change there, however it always bypass the USB and goes straight to windows every time.

Have anyone been able to boot via USB with their T100?

thanks!

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Your USB drive must support and be configured for UEFI boot.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks for that! i just figured that out. WinPE must be created with Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8+. See link below:

UEFI Firmware

Windows support of UEFI
    The following Windows editions include support for UEFI:
    Windows 8.1 and Windows® 8 support native UEFI 2.0 or later on 32-bit (x86), 64-bit (x64), and ARM-based PCs. They also support BIOS-based PCs, and UEFI-based PCs running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Some features such as Secure Boot require UEFI 2.3.1 Errata C or higher.

Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server® 2012 support native UEFI 2.0 or later on 64-bit systems. Some features such as Secure Boot require UEFI 2.3.1.

Windows® 7, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows Server® 2008

Support UEFI 2.0 or later on 64-bit systems. They also support BIOS-based PCs, and UEFI-based PCs running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Support on Class 2 systems running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode by using a CSM, so they can use the legacy BIOS INT10 features.

Are not supported on Class 3 systems, because these operating systems assume the presence of legacy BIOS INT10 support in the firmware, which is not available in a Class-3 UEFI implementation.

Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows Server® 2008 also support EFI 1.10 on Itanium-based systems.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an answer for those who would like to backup their t100ta. After much investigation, I found that easeus todo is a complete solution. You need to purchase the pro or workstation version so that you can create a winpe. Just follow the directions and create an emergency disk using winpe (not linux) ON YOUR DEVICE and it will create a properly formatted and bootable rescue usb disk.

It uses WinPE 4.0 32-bit which is compatible with this model.

Shockwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mschluss View Post
    I have an answer for those who would like to backup their t100ta. After much investigation, I found that easeus todo is a complete solution. You need to purchase the pro or workstation version so that you can create a winpe. Just follow the directions and create an emergency disk using winpe (not linux) ON YOUR DEVICE and it will create a properly formatted and bootable rescue usb disk.

It uses WinPE 4.0 32-bit which is compatible with this model.
    As an FYI, Macrium Reflect does the same.

You can install Macrium Reflect, then from within the Macrium reflect program, create a WinPE v4.0 bootable USB device. Refect will handle formatting the USB device and making it bootable, as well as putting all the necessary WinPE files on to it. Once you've created your bootable USB device with WinPE on it, you never have to run the installed Macrium Reflect program again.

I originally installed Macrium reflect on my T100, created the bootable USB stick and now use that stick to boot multiple PCs, including my T100 to backup/restore them. I've never had to run the originally installed Macrium reflect program on my T100.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
    As an FYI, Macrium Reflect does the same.

You can install Macrium Reflect, then from within the Macrium reflect program, create a WinPE v4.0 bootable USB device. Refect will handle formatting the USB device and making it bootable, as well as putting all the necessary WinPE files on to it. Once you've created your bootable USB device with WinPE on it, you never have to run the installed Macrium Reflect program again.

I originally installed Macrium reflect on my T100, created the bootable USB stick and now use that stick to boot multiple PCs, including my T100 to backup/restore them. I've never had to run the originally installed Macrium reflect program on my T100.
    Sorry to revise this thread but it seems to have some details that would be very informative to someone such as myself after I spent about 20 hours resetting my ME400C (same as the 64GB T100 but no keyboard) after a preview of Win10 broke it. It came box stock with Win8 and I had to update 8 to Win8.1 and then update to "update 1". Along the way, there were probaly 250 Win patches need. That total reset took the 20 hours.

OK Rednroll, I downloaded Macrium Reflect (free) version and followed the directions to create a WinPE bootable USB stick. Then I went into recovery on the ME400C and created a "base restore point."

If I understand what your saying, to rebuild my ME400C back to the fully patched 8.1.1 version, all I need to do is boot to the USB Macrium created and then run recovery and select that "base restore point."

Is that right?
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links