Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do the T100 tablet & kb/dock batteries interact with each other?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times

How do the T100 tablet & kb/dock batteries interact with each other?

I'm a tablet newbee, and just got a T100. The T100 has two batteries, one in the tablet and one in the kb/dock.

I assume, when docked, the batts are linked and charge or discharge as if they were one batt. When docked and plugged into the charger, the little red lite comes on and they both charge (eventually). When undocked, I assume the tablet will still charge/discharge as normal, but what about the kb/dock batt? A few questions...

- If I fully charge the batts when docked, then undock and run down the tablet batt, can I then redock and the (still fully charged) kb/dock batt will supply additional hours of power? (Sounds right, but has anyone really seen this?)

- When I redock, is there circuitry in there to keep the drained tablet batt from stealing power from the kb/dock batt, reducing the amount available to the tablet?

- Can I charge the undocked kb/dock batt thru the USB3 port?

- Can I dock and charge BOTH batts thru the USB3 port?

- Is there any way to see the charge level of the kb/dock batt separately from the tablet batt? Probably not, if the batts are linked when docked.

- Am I over analyzing this batt thing?

I guess that one tiny lite doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the charge levels of my batt(s).

Anybody else confused or have concerns (or insights) about the "dueling" batteries in the T100?
    Last edited by cjustis; 12-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure which model you have... but I'm pretty sure the t100 tablet doesnt have an active battery in the keyboard...
    Last edited by Zesnake; 12-05-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zesnake View Post
    I'm not sure which model you have... but I'm pretty sure the t100 tablet doesnt have an active battery in the keyboard...
    Correct, there is only one battery in the tablet, no battery in the keyboard.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Right, the Keyboard Dock only has the Keyboard, Touch pad, and USB 3.0 port... Being a budget model it doesn't get a secondary dock battery but mind the dock is included and normally Asus charges extra for the Keyboard dock...

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    Right, the Keyboard Dock only has the Keyboard, Touch pad, and USB 3.0 port... Being a budget model it doesn't get a secondary dock battery but mind the dock is included and normally Asus charges extra for the Keyboard dock...
    Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but I need clarification on the above statement. I bought a refurbished T100 thru Groupon and did not receive a separate charger for the keyboard. The tablet does not respond at all to the detachable keyboard. I called ASUS Refurbished Support and asked if the keyboard charged thru the dock or required a separate charger. They said to go to the ASUS store and buy a charger for $39 (!!). So...either Groupon screwed up and did not give me all the required parts OR ASUS Support doesn't know how their computer works (this is a possibility...the tech did not impress me as being terribly knowledgeable). SO...what is my next step? Do I need to buy a charger (if so, what?) or is there some other approach I should try?

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KATracy View Post
    Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but I need clarification on the above statement. I bought a refurbished T100 thru Groupon and did not receive a separate charger for the keyboard. The tablet does not respond at all to the detachable keyboard. I called ASUS Refurbished Support and asked if the keyboard charged thru the dock or required a separate charger. They said to go to the ASUS store and buy a charger for $39 (!!). So...either Groupon screwed up and did not give me all the required parts OR ASUS Support doesn't know how their computer works (this is a possibility...the tech did not impress me as being terribly knowledgeable). SO...what is my next step? Do I need to buy a charger (if so, what?) or is there some other approach I should try?
    Which t100 do you have? My keyboard connects to the tablet so it doesn't have a separate charger.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    This thread is out of control and has totally incorrect information.

To cjustis, there are no variants of the T100 that have a primary or secondary battery in the keydock.

To katracy... the keydock gets its power FROM the tablet battery. Have you asked groupon why your T100 didn't come with a charger? Yes you can buy a charger and there are many charger suggestions in the battery and charger thread on this forum. If your (charged) tablet doesn't respond to the keydock when connected (it's not wireless), something's wrong with the connection between keydock and tablet. Contact groupon for exchange or refund.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    To rickscheller
    When I first purchased my T100, I thought I had read that there were batteries in both the tablet and the keyboard/dock. I guess I was wrong, I'll go back and check my notes.

Regarding katracy...
    I believe katracy was not referring to the single, included charger, but to an additional charger needed for a separate keyboard/dock battery.
    This is probably a result of my earlier statement that there were two batteries, one in the tablet AND one in the keyboard/dock.
    If there is only one battery, then a second charger is not necessary.
    My apologies for any confusion, my bad.
    rickscheller likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    This thread is out of control and has totally incorrect information.
    Apologies for reviving this (again!). It is easy to see how these myths exist. I bought a T100HA a few days ago. I read the manual at ... http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...1_T100HA_B.pdf ... and it describes the USB port in the Mobile Dock (the keyboard) , at Page 24, "USB 2.0 port ... Use the USB (Universal Serial Bus) port 2.0 to charge or supply power to your ASUS Tablet." to describe the USB port in the Mobile Dock (the keyboard). There are also instructions on charging using the Micro USB port in the tablet at Page 27.

I contacted Asus support via their website. The most recent suggestion from Asus support is that the port in the dock can be used to charge the dock and that the dock can supply power to the tablet via a cable. I am nearly sure that this is nonsense ... but, to be completely sure, I have the dock plugged into the charger right now.

The manual says that the port in the dock can be used for charging ... Asus Support says that the port in the dock can be used for charging ... The myth continues.

Please tell us if you have ever been able to charge a T100HA using the USB port in the Mobile Dock. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    Quote Originally Posted by g3915 View Post
    Apologies for reviving this (again!). It is easy to see how these myths exist. I bought a T100HA a few days ago. I read the manual at ... http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/...1_T100HA_B.pdf ... and it describes the USB port in the Mobile Dock (the keyboard) , at Page 24, "USB 2.0 port ... Use the USB (Universal Serial Bus) port 2.0 to charge or supply power to your ASUS Tablet." to describe the USB port in the Mobile Dock (the keyboard). There are also instructions on charging using the Micro USB port in the tablet at Page 27.

I contacted Asus support via their website. The most recent suggestion from Asus support is that the port in the dock can be used to charge the dock and that the dock can supply power to the tablet via a cable. I am nearly sure that this is nonsense ... but, to be completely sure, I have the dock plugged into the charger right now.

The manual says that the port in the dock can be used for charging ... Asus Support says that the port in the dock can be used for charging ... The myth continues.

Please tell us if you have ever been able to charge a T100HA using the USB port in the Mobile Dock. Thanks.
    In the T100 family, there is NO battery in the keydock.

I do know the keydock USB connector will provide 5VDC power to any device that's plugged into it subject to the current limitation of the USB power guidelines. However it's not necessarily a good idea to plug in a high drain device into the keydock USB as that connector draws it's power from the tablet battery through the hinge connector and can drain the tablet battery quicker.

Now as far as "will the tablet charge through the USB connector on the keydock", I will test this this weekend to see if the 5VDC charger shows a current draw when plugged into the keydock USB connector which would indicate it's powering the tablet/battery. I'll report my findings.

Update... this can't work because it would require a standard male USB connector on each end of the same USB cable... so, NO you can't charge the tablet battery through the keydock USB.
    Last edited by rickscheller; 03-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links