Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do the T100 tablet & kb/dock batteries interact with each other?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    .......Now as far as "will the tablet charge through the USB connector on the keydock", I will test this this weekend to see if the 5VDC charger shows a current draw when plugged into the keydock USB connector which would indicate it's powering the tablet/battery. I'll report my findings.
    I have tried charging my T100HA through all three USB ports. Nothing from the USB-3 on the keyboard or the USB-C (which, in theory has the same speed as the USB-3). The only port that charged was the micro-USB. Remember the provided charger is a "smart" dual voltage unit 5/9v. You can safely use it to charge your smartphone or similar. When plugged into the T100HA it detects the unit and increases its output voltage to 9v--greatly reducing the charge time. Charge time is also much faster with the unit turned off.
    T100HA 2/32GB with 64GB no-name microSD. Came with Win10. Cutting it down to get rid of Microsoft spying.

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TAM
    Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tompark View Post
    ...the provided charger is a "smart" dual voltage unit 5/9v...
    Maybe on the T100HA, but not the others. The Asus charger is clearly marked 5V@2A
    rickscheller likes this.
    Asus Transformer T100TAM-C1-GM, Atom Z3775, 2GB-RAM, 64GB eMMC, Win8.1-32 updated to Win10-32
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download T100TAM

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rickscheller View Post
    Update... this can't work because it would require a standard male USB connector on each end of the same USB cable... so, NO you can't charge the tablet battery through the keydock USB.
    Uh, not quite accurate... you can get a standard charging cable for standard full size USB, or you can just use a port adapter, or you can simply modify a existing cable by cutting the other lines and leaving just the charging lines/pinout... For example, you can just use a port adapter to use a standard male to male USB cable with the micro USB charging port...

So that's not the reason it can't be done, it's rather that the connector dock isn't simply set up to accept charging from the dock... Unlike some other docking systems that allow for quick charging, etc.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100HA
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    ............ simply modify a existing cable by cutting the other lines and leaving just the charging lines/pinout...
    Cutting the lines (data lines) should not be necessary. If a smart charger (as with myT100HA) I think it needs the data lines to tell the charger to up its output. If a typical dumb charger it neither needs nor uses the data lines--they just sit there. I needed a longer charging cable and use the one that came with my backup disk. It passes the data to the backup as needed and when used as a charge cable for the T100HA works just like the shorter one that came in the box.
    T100HA 2/32GB with 64GB no-name microSD. Came with Win10. Cutting it down to get rid of Microsoft spying.

Rescue Squad
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    VivoTab Note 8
    Liked
    233 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tompark View Post
    Cutting the lines (data lines) should not be necessary. If a smart charger (as with myT100HA) I think it needs the data lines to tell the charger to up its output. If a typical dumb charger it neither needs nor uses the data lines--they just sit there. I needed a longer charging cable and use the one that came with my backup disk. It passes the data to the backup as needed and when used as a charge cable for the T100HA works just like the shorter one that came in the box.
    Uh... no... Data lines means the charging will either be turned off or limited because only charging only modes support the higher wattage... So at best you'd end up with a slow charge that may be too low to use the system and charge at the same time or worse the system will refuse to accept the connection as a charging source.

This is a general issue with Asus mobile products... The Vivotab 8, for example, could not be charged and be connected to a device/peripheral at the same time. Though, devices with multiple ports can usually avoid this limitation... and the cable itself isn't required to be limited to just the power lines, just the final pin connection. So no active data lines counts as a charging only mode connection, such as using a regular cable with a USB power line...

Anyway, the main issue here is getting a port that is not the usual charging port to be recognized for charging... It's similar to the reasons why microUSB uses OTG cables...

Maybe when USB-C becomes more common and they use the full final specification then this will change but until then expect limitations... and despite the HA having USB-C, I've yet to see any report of anyone getting the device to charge through it so it's likely not the full final specification.

Mind, many vendors are just using the form factor with essentially USB 3 spec at this time... and Cherry Trail came out before the newer specs was released... While the dock may use plain regular USB 3.0 and may not be set up to support charging at all...

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    417 times
    This topic has digressed into total off topic chaos.
    Rick, loving my T100TA-C1-GR Z3740 64GB Win 10
    BIOS 314. All Windows updates except Bing. All Asus Live Updates. WIFI driver 5.93.99.210
    I get 8-12 hrs use per charge using SLEEP mode. Warning, NEVER calibrate the touchscreen.
    When posting for help, please include Your Model Particulars
    Casters T100 Master Help Guide

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Researching
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to necro an old thread, but I purchased a t100ta from microcenter, and the salesmen there told me that the dock had a battery in it. When I looked on asus's website, it doesn't say the dock doesn't have a battery but it does say it had 2 cells. I haven't noticed a difference in battery longevity with or without the dock connected. I bought it when it first came out and the salesmen sold me on it when he told me the dock had a battery in it. Now after research, I'm thinking he was EDIT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by janner43; 08-05-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: language guidelines

Starscream
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    126 times
    Yes, the salesperson lied to you. I had one try and tell me the same thing but I had done my research including YouTube videos of different T100 keyboards being opened and none had a battery inside. When the salesperson refused to admit it was a lie I reported him to his boss. The T100 gets about 10 hours battery life when new which is great so there is no reason to lie.
    By the way, 2 cells refers to the number of cells in the (one) battery

See the YouTube videos

T100 with harddrive in keyboard

T100 without harddrive in keyboard

Last edited by FrillyBits; 08-04-2016 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
    janner43 likes this.
    Asus Transformer Book T100TA - Windows 10 (1607) 32 bit - CPU Z3740 - BIOS 314 - 32GB SSD - 500GB HD - 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Card UHS-1 Class 10 (NTFS)
    Asus MemoPad HD 7 - Android - 16GB

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought my wife a T100 Chi. The instruction book says it has a battery in the tablet and a battery in the docking station, which need to be charged seperately, via a micro usb port, although only one charger is supplied. I bought a second charger which now stays permanently connected to the docking station, being switched off once the battery is charged. The tablet state-of-charge is indicated by a multicoloured light display - which has never been illuminated in any colour!!

Guide Guru & Forum Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Chromebook
    Liked
    2825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChadders View Post
    I bought my wife a T100 Chi. The instruction book says it has a battery in the tablet and a battery in the docking station, which need to be charged seperately, via a micro usb port, although only one charger is supplied. I bought a second charger which now stays permanently connected to the docking station, being switched off once the battery is charged. The tablet state-of-charge is indicated by a multicoloured light display - which has never been illuminated in any colour!!
    Welcome to the forum

The Chi is a different device - it may as well be called something else.

PLEASE Search for existing threads before posting a new one. Thanks.

Your opinion matters. But should you disagree - please try not to be disagreeable

Forum guide - here ~~ T100 FAQs - here ~~ Cold boot - here

Adobe Flash Player & Browser Guide here

Master Help Guide - here ~~ FAQ malware - here ~~ FAQ e-reading - here
    Mobile OS devices personal pantheon...
    ANDROID: Doogee DG310; SGS; Huawei Y300; Motoroloa Xoom 2ME; Razr; Defy Mini; CnM Touchpad II;
    Asus TF101; Lenovo A1; Samsung Tab 2 7.0
    APPLE: iPhone 4s; iPhone 5c; iPhone 6; iPhone 7; iPad 3; iPad Mini 2; iPad Air 2 64gb
    CHROMEBOOK: HP 14-Q010sa Celeron 14 Inch 4GB 16GB Chromebook - White.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links