Thread: Anyone Using A Stylus?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times

Anyone Using A Stylus?

Perhaps my tablet is defective but my #1 complaint is that none of my 4 styluses work well with the T100. Funny thing is that a finger works great but this leaves little precision on the desktop. Not that the stylus doesn't work but its crappy and nowhere near like it is on my N7 and Note8, I've tried 6mm Bamboo, microfiber tipped, generic, even a stylus from the Tegra Note 7. Someone else mentioned they think the screen is actually covered in plastic vs. Gorilla glass, perhaps this is the issue. Has anyone found a stylus that works or perhaps it's just my tablet.

Senior Moderator Meritorious
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF101
    Liked
    901 times
    Welcome to the forum Racer! I don't own a T100, but I'm going to move it over to T100 Help, maybe another user will be able to assist you there.
    Asus Eee Pad TF101 (gave to wife); Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone and tablet

The Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html
    Guidelines of Conduct http://www.transformerforums.com/for...orums-com.html
    Frederuco's Fantastical Forum Favorites http://www.transformerforums.com/for...favorites.html
    Asus T100 Master Help Guide http://www.transformerforums.com/for...elp-guide.html

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rzracer View Post
    Perhaps my tablet is defective but my #1 complaint is that none of my 4 styluses work well with the T100. Funny thing is that a finger works great but this leaves little precision on the desktop. Not that the stylus doesn't work but its crappy and nowhere near like it is on my N7 and Note8, I've tried 6mm Bamboo, microfiber tipped, generic, even a stylus from the Tegra Note 7. Someone else mentioned they think the screen is actually covered in plastic vs. Gorilla glass, perhaps this is the issue. Has anyone found a stylus that works or perhaps it's just my tablet.
    I only have a few very cheap styluses. They work fine on my Gorilla glass phones, but not on the T100. When writing or drawing, they leave frequent blank spaces, even though the stylus is in full contact with the screen. This doesn't happen on my other capacitance screen devices.

It's probably a software issue on the T100. Which isn't the worst, because a driver update could potentially fix the issue.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    same problem here, "standard stylus" from amazon works crappy. Nearly impossible properly dragging windows around and often no effect when tipping with it even if I press it quite hard on the screen.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by matzo View Post
    same problem here, "standard stylus" from amazon works crappy. Nearly impossible properly dragging windows around and often no effect when tipping with it even if I press it quite hard on the screen.
    But this doesn't happen with fingers? Odd.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times
    my jot pro isn't performing as I hoped. Maybe I need some more practise, but it is WAY better on my ipad than on the t100.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daanmannetje View Post
    my jot pro isn't performing as I hoped. Maybe I need some more practise, but it is WAY better on my ipad than on the t100.
    With all these reports, it's probably an issue with the T100.

Maybe the T100's plastic screen causes the stylus to skip instead of glide as it would on glass? Or it could just be a software issue.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    5 times
    Yeah I bought a jot pro and a regular cheap stylus..... They don't work well unless you press firmly against the screen. Also when I did try writing/drawing and I was close to the left side of the screen, it would randomly bring up the left screen swipe gesture to switch screens. Very annoying.

Sucks, but ohwell.
    Last edited by id3alistic; 12-04-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    7 times
    I use a small stylus when I have to select/touch something very small (works well for that), but it doesn't work well for dragging. No issues using the finger.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    2 times
    Here’s what I have found, which may be the answer.

I got a Bamboo Solo Stylus. Did not seem to work well as others have described. I have enabled the “show touches on screen” option - small dark circles appear where/when a touch is registered.

Well, if I touch with finger, a nice touch “indicator circle” appears. If I touch with stylus, it did not register sometimes. Then, I discovered that if I touched lightly with the stylus, most touches did not register. If I pressed harder, touches registered more often, but not always. Fingers always registered.

I then concluded that perhaps Asus touch screen has a “minimum touch area” that it will accept, trying to filter out false touches. It wasn’t that it took more stylus pressure on the screen, but more pressure equaled more compression of the stylus rubber tip and therefore a larger contact “circle”. A hard press resulting in a big rubber tip compression and large touch circle most always registered. I suspect the Asus touch screen will reject “touches” smaller than a certain area - and a stylus is below that area.

You could test this by using pinky and barely touching screen - making as small a contact “circle” as possible, and using larger fingers with increased contact “circles”. Also, turning on the “show touches on screen” option (I forget where it is) may help in indicating when a touch has registered.

If this is so, it would be nice if Asus to make the contact area adjustable so if set to a small area, a stylus would function better.
    Last edited by dapm; 12-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    qbasob and Wermine like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links