Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times

windows 8.1 re-install

has anyone done this? Personally whenever i buy new laptop i wipe it and re-install fresh however i want it, this usually gets rid of lots of crap and i remove any recovery partitions as i use my own cloning software to make an image of the system.

i managed to get hold of windows 8.1 rtm iso and thats the plan when i receive my tablet next week

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    I'm same as you and almost always re-image, however in the case of the T100, ASUS really hasn't loaded any crapware on it and I didn't find the need to re-install Windows. I did however upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro and add Media Center since I had a Pro key and Media Center only costs $10 which is worth it for me since I have an HDHomerun tuner.

That said I don't see any reason why a fresh install would not work so long as you create a UEFI bootable USB stick to install Windows from. I highly recommend you download and have available all drivers from ASUS's site prior to starting. Would really suck to start the process and find the drivers are not available for some reason (Yes, it's happened to me before.)

Good Luck!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I'm same as you and almost always re-image, however in the case of the T100, ASUS really hasn't loaded any crapware on it and I didn't find the need to re-install Windows. I did however upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro and add Media Center since I had a Pro key and Media Center only costs $10 which is worth it for me since I have an HDHomerun tuner.

That said I don't see any reason why a fresh install would not work so long as you create a UEFI bootable USB stick to install Windows from. I highly recommend you download and have available all drivers from ASUS's site prior to starting. Would really suck to start the process and find the drivers are not available for some reason (Yes, it's happened to me before.)

Good Luck!

oh yes will get drivers, also do bios upgrade 1st and test for a day or two. i have UEFI usb.

I just hope the iso i have is going to work, as far as i know there is RTM edition that should suite OEM installations and then there retail iso

Thank you

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Any iso you need can be found if you know where to look. I highly recommend you find your true product key before you begin. The T100 doesn't have a license badge on the back like most laptops do. You can probably extract it with software. I've used Magic Jelly Bean in the past. It will also probably find your Office key. Be careful - those types of programs are sometimes repackaged with malware if your get them from the wrong place.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Any iso you need can be found if you know where to look. I highly recommend you find your true product key before you begin. The T100 doesn't have a license badge on the back like most laptops do. You can probably extract it with software. I've used Magic Jelly Bean in the past. It will also probably find your Office key. Be careful - those types of programs are sometimes repackaged with malware if your get them from the wrong place.
    cheers.

i also use Magic Jelly Bean to do that, i tested the iso in VMware player and its ok and regarding office i will probably have to call microsoft to get it re-activate up on fresh install - this happens a lot

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    I see you know the drill. Let me know how it turns out. I foresee this exercise in my future at some point.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    I just got a T100 and thought I'd share a few of my findings with you. I'm on my second one, the first had real issues in starting and stability. I returned it after a failure to restart automatically or manually and had pretty good luck with the second. I got through the setup and everything appeared to work well and decided to grab the latest Windows 8.1 updates (mine came with 8.1) - the windows updates installed without a hitch and everything worked good and then I went to install the latest drivers that were part of the Recommended list - these were really bad, especially the keyboard, touch pad, and touch features on the screen. Some of the functions didn't work & the overall operation was very jerky. In addition, the new Audio driver causes the volume control to freeze in whatever state it was before driver update and the volume "slider" stayed on the screen over anything else you displayed. To get back to a working system, I went through the Refresh process which brought the installation back to what I started with. I got the latest drivers from the ASUS site, installed them in the proper order and ended up with the same results. After another Refresh, I set the windows update to ignore the Recommended items and to ask for my approval to install the Critical items so I can see what drivers are in that. I then updated windows, keeping the drivers that were pre-installed and used File History to make an image of the whole package in this state - it works and currently is compete & I can try anything new when I have time to see how flaky it is.

I had considered changing the BIOS to the latest, but after a bit of research on this topic, I find that the latest version is just about as good as their latest drivers, so I think for now I'll stay with what I have, a screwed up BIOS is much harder to recover from than screwed up drivers or apps.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    15 times
    Has anyone tried to use this link to get installation media for Windows 8.1?

Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Windows Help

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    @ Martian - no problem
    @ CaptainPete - thanks i will avoid asus drivers but was planing to get most of it direct from intel as i normally do and then compare to asus to see whats left - but now i will instead compare to windows updates. Apparently BIOS update fixed some serious issues????
    @ Jimbolaya64 - You can download windows 8.1 iso from microsoft officially but you need a valid RETAIL license key, the OEM that comes with asus book will not work with the download link

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    I have installed all critical and recommended updates and drivers from Windows Update as well as from ASUS and don't have any problems. I running 2.14 BIOS. I guess I'm "special" or something.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links