Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    You'll have to check the hash. Microsoft technet publishes the hash value of their ISO's. You can just search for the hash. You'll then have to download a hash checking tool (there are many of them) and generate a hash for the file you downloaded. You can then confirm that the hash matches that on Microsoft's site.

Microsoft used to make ISO's available for download at DigitalRiver. They've since stopped for whatever reason. I've downloaded Windows ISO's from the Pirate Bay before even though I had a full legal license. So long as the hashes match, it's is impossible for the Pirate Bay version to have any alterations at all.

On hashes like MD5 and SHA, changing 1 byte will typically change over half the hash values.

If you haven't tried the "Refresh" option in Windows 8, try that first. It's basically a full reinstall of Windows and only takes 10 to 15 minutes.
    The problem is that this ISO is modified. It's under 3GB, and so will differ from true MS images. The refresh setting did not work for me. It does refresh the PC (when it works) but does not solve the freezing boot problems. I am perplexed as to why, but I'm sure one of ASUS's updates must modify *something* in the boot process. Fixing the MBR did not work for me, either.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    31 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daon View Post
    The problem is that this ISO is modified. It's under 3GB, and so will differ from true MS images. The refresh setting did not work for me. It does refresh the PC (when it works) but does not solve the freezing boot problems. I am perplexed as to why, but I'm sure one of ASUS's updates must modify *something* in the boot process. Fixing the MBR did not work for me, either.
    Why not try a full Window 8.1 ISO? It seems some others have done that. Though I wouldn't want to have to find all the necessary drivers. I installed all the updated drivers from Asus's site and it gave me freeze issues, a refresh fixed them. I strongly suspect one or more of the drivers on the Asus site is causing real issues. I've no idea which, so I'm staying away from most of the drivers on Asus's site unless there's a good and specific reason to update specific items. The only one I've installed is the latest ASUS ACReminder, V1.0.2 and that hasn't caused any issues.

I have installed the Asus drivers and updates delivered through Windows Update, they have not caused any freeze issues for me.

Reinstalling a full 8.1 ISO would be my last resort after first trying refresh, then full recovery. If your recovery image is still present and that doesn't fix your freezing, it could be a hardware issue, but it's probably software.
    Last edited by Banise; 12-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Banise View Post
    Reinstalling a full 8.1 ISO would be my last resort after first trying refresh, then full recovery. If your recovery image is still present and that doesn't fix your freezing, it could be a hardware issue, but it's probably software.
    No, re-installing give you control of how it should be configured, it also give you an understanding of what needs to be installed and what not, like some users here during the process figured out that asus official drivers cause an issue, on top of that in process of manufacturing asus would not have someone installing from fresh each tablet that goes out, they would use an image clone, from my experience cloning is successful most of the time but occasionally it doesnt go smooth this gets passed on to customer.

Also in my experience hardware issue is lot more evident during fresh install.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    15 times
    Won't you lose the Office 2013 install using an RTM iso?

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbolaya64 View Post
    Won't you lose the Office 2013 install using an RTM iso?
    If you are able to acquire install media for Windows you should be able to find install media for Office Home and Student as well. You have the key after all.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    If you are able to acquire install media for Windows you should be able to find install media for Office Home and Student as well. You have the key after all.
    Yea.. I guess that shoulda been a no brainer on my part .... ... Thanks!!

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    8 times

i have successfully re-installed.

1. new BIOS update before re-install and test
    2. Backed up license infomation
    3. UEFI USB boot with Win 8.1 core x32 - didnt even ask for key, must be embedded in BIOS
    4. Deleted wasted space recovery partition (during OS install)
    5. Run windows updates
    6. Downloaded remaining drivers software from asus
    7. Run asus live update to download: 'overall system improvement' update - think thats what it was called.
    8. Activated and downloaded M Office with the product key card
    9. Done Image backup of the whole hdd

Once i had an issue where i installed Windows and went to windows updates, left it for 30 mins to install, came back and it was just black screen, couldnt do anything, so forced to boot into USB and re-installed again; think it might of went into hibernation and messed up all updates - it was quicker to re-install again

So far running great!

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone,

I'm a french user of this powerful Asus T100, and i need your tips.

I didn't read this thread before re install my tablet... and i did NOT update the bios before.

At the moment, i update everything, reinstall all drivers and still have some problems.

I can't update the bios beacause of this messge with "Winflash" : Impossible to allocate stamp memory to save the bios file" (i translate it from french)

I have another probleme, when i shutdown the tablet, it do not shut but it restart...

and the last problem is that i loss 50 % of battery on one night...

Anyone can help me ? Thank's a lot

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    None
    Liked
    0 times
    When i said "stamps" i think buffer is better ^^

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times

Windows 8.1 Pro Install and Space

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    I'm same as you and almost always re-image, however in the case of the T100, ASUS really hasn't loaded any crapware on it and I didn't find the need to re-install Windows. I did however upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro and add Media Center since I had a Pro key and Media Center only costs $10 which is worth it for me since I have an HDHomerun tuner.

That said I don't see any reason why a fresh install would not work so long as you create a UEFI bootable USB stick to install Windows from. I highly recommend you download and have available all drivers from ASUS's site prior to starting. Would really suck to start the process and find the drivers are not available for some reason (Yes, it's happened to me before.)

Good Luck!
    Hi Martian,

I am considering the 32 gb SDD + 500 GB HDD Asus T100. I need it for school and need windows 8.1 pro to connect to our servers. How was the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro? Would there be enough space on a 32 GB HDD to do so? I want to keep windows and office on the SDD for speed/multi-tasking for schoolwork and keep the 500 gb hdd for extra space. Thanks for the help! Any other experiences you've had since your post would be great as well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links