Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times

If your T100 is freezing on booting, try this...

My T100 did a windows update and copped out. First was the standard loading screen. Then a days worth of constant hard resets, the "Please wait" screen with the rotating dots. Sometimes it would literally freeze, the dots wouldn't move. I would first try the steps listed in this post:

Updated, now freezes on boot up. What do I do?

These steps did not work for me. I could not get into the repair section.

My solution was to power the device off and disconnect the keyboard dock, then power it back on. As soon as I did the "Diagnosing your PC" message came up, and I was able to reset my T100. The keyboard worked fine after reconnecting it.

Odd that the keyboard dock was the culprit, but it may be a solution that fixes yours too.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daon View Post
    My T100 did a windows update and copped out. First was the standard loading screen. Then a days worth of constant hard resets, the "Please wait" screen with the rotating dots. Sometimes it would literally freeze, the dots wouldn't move. I would first try the steps listed in this post:

Hi,
    Thanks for advice.
    Did Asus live update date conk out too when you were able to boot successfully. someone in this forum mentioned about the live update being the casualty after a reboot, but I don't know how to get it back now.
    At least the Pc is working again.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Alright, while I was able to setup windows and all that jazz, as soon as I reboot my t100 it was back in the same boat.

This may have just been a huge coincidence but now I cannot replicate it. My t100 is dead again

Any solutions such as a fresh install of windows 8 somehow? I tried to download from MS but the key for the Asus does not work on "retail" versions, so my only option is to purchase a retail copy? really?

I've wasted 10 hours trying to boot from USB. I can't do it. Can't even get the drive recognized when I'm fortunate enough to enter the "repair" section of windows (1 in 20 tries maybe). I made the recovery USB as soon as I opened it, but cannot find a way to use it.

I'm about to RAGE, feel like putting a hammer though this machine. What does Asus's accidental protection cover exactly?
    Last edited by daon; 11-27-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daon View Post
    so my only option is to purchase a retail copy?
    I'd contact Microsoft support, and maybe Asus too. If they can't resolve this with a software fix, box it up and take it back for an exchange/return. It sucks, but it's part of the risks of being an early adopter on a new product.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetofu View Post
    I'd contact Microsoft support, and maybe Asus too. If they can't resolve this with a software fix, box it up and take it back for an exchange/return. It sucks, but it's part of the risks of being an early adopter on a new product.
    its my 16th day, 2 days late to return, oh well.

I'm taking one last step right now before RMA'ing. Not for the feint of heart. I acquired a volume licence core ISO of windows 8.1 and created a bootable USB flash drive. 5 minutes ago I wiped out all partitions and am installing fresh windows 8.1.

BTW I can verify that there is a secondary partition (7GB) that is installed, which I thought was just a myth. So this really is a "40GB" unit

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    All went well, though some drivers were annoying. There is no obvious driver for the touchscreen but it must have been bundled with another one, it worked after installing the chipset drivers and display drivers. A few of them needed manual pointing to the folders but overall a pain-free process, all devices are recognized and work.

After the fresh install of 8.1 I was left with 18.7GB of free space, after installing Chrome, Classic Shell and Office Home & Student (and removing IE and XPS services) there is 16.7GB left. Now that I do not need the 7-8GB hidden recovery drive I'm going to look into making it usable storage space to augment my 64GB microsd giving be about 85GB of free storage.

If anyone else is having this boot-hang issue, I fear this may be the only cure at the moment. I'll update if I notice any more problems but it has been running great (seemingly better than new) for the last hour. No problems with reboots or anything.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    2 times
    mine had a similar issue, my girlfriend didnt dock the keyboard properly and powed on the tablet. this made the tablet freeze right after the Asus logo and i can never get through to the windows logon screen.

I have also updated the BIOS after like a million reboots just to get into Windows. Now I am restoring Windows, hope it will come good again this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    I tried all these different options, none of them worked for me.

The only thing that was successful was to create a Windows 8.1 recovery USB drive on another Windows 8.1 computer - DO NOT PUT THE RECOVERY PARTITION FROM THE OTHER COMPUTER ON HERE !

Boot with this disk, you will have to change the BIOS boot procedure, either via F2 or via F9.

You should get the T100 running, once it is up immediately create a proper USB Recovery Disk including the recovery partition from the T100.

If you need to (it may be fine at this stage), you can boot again using this USB drive, and do a proper system reset.

This is what worked for me after nothing else did.

Without the USB boot drive created by the other computer I would have been dead in the water.

Jazz
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100 Chi
    Liked
    2 times
    Does it matter if the PC you use to create the USB boot drive is running a 64bit version of Win 8.1? Once the recovery USB is created, do I just stick it in the keyboard dock and hit the power button? I did that and I am still getting the endless spinning dots below a Windows logo. After quite a while I get a blue screen of death with a frown and then preparing automatic repair. It goes to a blank screen that did not change overnight the last time I left it. HELP!! I am running out of ideas. I will really be disappointed if I have to RMA the thing and wait for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    I tried all these different options, none of them worked for me.

The only thing that was successful was to create a Windows 8.1 recovery USB drive on another Windows 8.1 computer - DO NOT PUT THE RECOVERY PARTITION FROM THE OTHER COMPUTER ON HERE !

Boot with this disk, you will have to change the BIOS boot procedure, either via F2 or via F9.

You should get the T100 running, once it is up immediately create a proper USB Recovery Disk including the recovery partition from the T100.

If you need to (it may be fine at this stage), you can boot again using this USB drive, and do a proper system reset.

This is what worked for me after nothing else did.

Without the USB boot drive created by the other computer I would have been dead in the water.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF700
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by t100 View Post
    Does it matter if the PC you use to create the USB boot drive is running a 64bit version of Win 8.1? Once the recovery USB is created, do I just stick it in the keyboard dock and hit the power button? I did that and I am still getting the endless spinning dots below a Windows logo. After quite a while I get a blue screen of death with a frown and then preparing automatic repair. It goes to a blank screen that did not change overnight the last time I left it. HELP!! I am running out of ideas. I will really be disappointed if I have to RMA the thing and wait for repair.
    I created the Boot Drive on a 64 bit Desktop, so in my case that did work !

But once you have the Boot Drive you need to F2 on startup (be quick !) and change the boot drive to the USB drive, otherwise it will not work. This is important, does not sound as if you did this.

My T100 is 100% now, after Asus offered to RMA it - there was nothing wrong with the hardware.

IMO 99.5% of the issues are software problems.
    Last edited by Jola; 12-10-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links