Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Problems with sleep mode - discussions here please

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    The battery drain that most of us are experiencing is caused by the screen coming back on when the device is closed. Where are you seeing this exact issue being talked about on other tablets? Everything I read about the surface update that came out stated that they had excessive battery drain when the device was sleeping not that the screen would come back on and stay on causing the battery drain.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by triadcool View Post
    The battery drain that most of us are experiencing is caused by the screen coming back on when the device is closed. Where are you seeing this exact issue being talked about on other tablets? Everything I read about the surface update that came out stated that they had excessive battery drain when the device was sleeping not that the screen would come back on and stay on causing the battery drain.
    There are numerous posts at various message boards.

A simple Google to WIN8 battery drain will render lots of these for you.

By the way...even a number of laptops report this issue...
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    I typed "WIN8 battery drain" in to google search and read through all of the results on that page a did not find one single article or post saying anything about the screen coming back on while in sleep and causing the battery to drain. Again, if you can link me to a site that actually describes this issue that would be great.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    I typed "WIN8 battery drain" in to google search and read through all of the results on that page a did not find one single article or post saying anything about the screen coming back on while in sleep and causing the battery to drain. Again, if you can link me to a site that actually describes this issue that would be great.
    I found hundreds of links....specific to WIN8.1 having a problem with excessive battery drain. No idea why you can't see the same results.

The overall problem is the very same aspect of the issue - WIN8.1 does not have the proper configurability to address how it uses battery power in sleep or hibernate mode.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    I found hundreds of links....specific to WIN8.1 having a problem with excessive battery drain. No idea why you can't see the same results.

The overall problem is the very same aspect of the issue - WIN8.1 does not have the proper configurability to address how it uses battery power in sleep or hibernate mode.
    Do you even read through my posts before replying to them? I am starting to think not. I keep repeating myself and you still do not comprehend what I am trying to tell you. I am not trying to be rude but just trying to get what I am saying across to you.

Simplification:

Asus T100 Issue: Battery drain caused by the screen (display) coming on and staying on while the device should be sleeping. This is the issue described in this thread.

Windows 8.1 Issue: Battery drain caused by Windows 8.1 not going to sleep properly and allowing wifi and the hard drive to constantly run while the screen is off. This is the issue you keep referring to.

See the difference now?
    Last edited by triadcool; 12-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Do you even read through my posts before replying to them? I am starting to think not.
    That's a two-way street my friend.

WIN 8.1 has multiple issues tied to battery excess use, and also not properly "sleeping". That includes the screen not powering down properly. Since I took the time to not only read your post...as well as the online information that explains all that in detail...I'd invite you to do the same.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUSFAN0001 View Post
    That's a two-way street my friend.

WIN 8.1 has multiple issues tied to battery excess use, and also not properly "sleeping". That includes the screen not powering down properly. Since I took the time to not only read your post...as well as the online information that explains all that in detail...I'd invite you to do the same.
    Are you sure that they are the same issues though, because I think what triadcool is saying is that the screens turns itself on when the keyboard/touchpad was hit by the screen. The screen does power down properly, it just turns on accidentally.

Also microsoft support is blaming Asus, but they are stupid. so i dunno how reliable they are.

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Quote Originally Posted by airado View Post
    Are you sure that they are the same issues though, because I think what triadcool is saying is that the screens turns itself on when the keyboard/touchpad was hit by the screen. The screen does power down properly, it just turns on accidentally.

Also microsoft support is blaming Asus, but they are stupid. so i dunno how reliable they are.
    I actually spoke to an ASUS support supervisor...and they have been told by Microsoft that the 2 issues are indeed WIN8.1 related.

They are expecting an update to address the 3 different symptoms tied to 1) The screen turning on when it shouldn't, 2) the power being excessively drained based on the WIFI not turning off at power-down (as it should), and 3) the battery being drained based on 2 services executing when the device is supposedly "powered down" - also causing excess battery drain.

Some folks in a couple of threads here have figured out a couple of "temporary workarounds", but the real fix needs to come from MS in a WIN8.1 update.

No arrival date was provided...but I'm inclined to believe that with the holidays...it will be in January some time.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Reading this post is a little stressful because I also think ASUSFAN0001 has misunderstood the issue because I'm having the same issue and find that it maybe hardware related somehow...so before you go on about windows I just want to clarify my issue. When I closed the lid of my T100 it goes to sleep, however when I pick it up or peak through the crack I can see that it was awake while closed. I noticed that it happens only when I pick it up, move it a little, or squeeze it....when the lid is open I never have the problem where it wakes by itself...also I bought a Poetic Slim cover and that also had problems where when I used the cover closed it would wake by itself, but without the cover it didn't...yes I read another thread about this...so Im just putting it out there that I feel it feels more like a 'tablet + keyboard' hardware issue rather than Windows.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    0 times
    Same issue here too. Tablet sleeps perfect until you close the lid and the LCD turns back on and the tablet wakes up. Worse yet, Windows is confused during this time and will not go back to sleep, hence the battery drain.

FWIW, closing the lid to the point the LCD shuts off, waiting 3-5 seconds, and closing it the remaining distance is a workaround for us (described here: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...-tricks-2.html).

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links