Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Updated, now freezes on boot up. What do I do?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello there, i just owned a brand new Asus T100 for 2 days and today on the 3rd day after purchasing, i faced problems during boot/start up where the laptop gets frozen on the Asus logo screen.
    I tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds and turned it on again. It ran a series of windows software updates before the start up, then after all software updates have been completed, the laptop resumed to freeze at the Asus logo screen again. I tried holding the power button for 10 secs followed by holding the power button and volume up button at the same time, to get into automatic repair/repair mode. THIS HELPS, get into the repair mode!

​To cut it short, i tried the other advanced options as well as the restart button in the repair mode but to no avail. After carefully reading the different options in the 'advanced options' in repair mode...

Here's what worked for me:
    1) If you're stuck at the Asus logo screen which doesn't seem to boot for ages or at least 10 minutes, hold down the power button for 10 seconds and let the screen turn black. (I did this with my charger plugged in, not too sure if it matters)
    ​2) Count to 10 seconds. Switch the laptop on by HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON + VOLUME UP BUTTON at the same time. This will send the laptop into an 'automatic repair', followed by a 'diagnosing this PC' and after which you will see a blue screen which is the repair mode.
    ​3) On the blue screen you will see 2 buttons, 'Restart' and 'Advanced Options'. Click on 'Advanced Options'. (DO NOT CLICK RESTART, it does nothing as you will get stuck again at the logo screen)
    ​4) After clicking 'Advanced Options', click 'Advanced ....' (i forgot what exactly) and click 'STARTUP REPAIR'. This is the crucial part.Then follow whatever the system promts you.
    ​5) Afterwards, it will attempt to repair your system then lead you back to the logo screen for startup.
    ​6) Wait a few minutes and you should be able to get to your login screen as usual.

​Hope this helps. I chanced upon it by guessing which would actually help me.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book Trio
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello there, i just owned a brand new Asus T100 for 2 days and today on the 3rd day after purchasing, i faced problems during boot/start up where the laptop gets frozen on the Asus logo screen.
    I tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds and turned it on again. It ran a series of windows software updates before the start up, then after all software updates have been completed, the laptop resumed to freeze at the Asus logo screen again. I tried holding the power button for 10 secs followed by holding the power button and volume up button at the same time, to get into automatic repair/repair mode. THIS HELPS, get into the repair mode!

​To cut it short, i tried the other advanced options as well as the restart button in the repair mode but to no avail. After carefully reading the different options in the 'advanced options' in repair mode...

Here's what worked for me:
    1) If you're stuck at the Asus logo screen which doesn't seem to boot for ages or at least 10 minutes, hold down the power button for 10 seconds and let the screen turn black. (I did this with my charger plugged in, not too sure if it matters)
    ​2) Count to 10 seconds. Switch the laptop on by HOLDING THE POWER BUTTON + VOLUME UP BUTTON at the same time. This will send the laptop into an 'automatic repair', followed by a 'diagnosing this PC' and after which you will see a blue screen which is the repair mode.
    ​3) On the blue screen you will see 2 buttons, 'Restart' and 'Advanced Options'. Click on 'Advanced Options'. (DO NOT CLICK RESTART, it does nothing as you will get stuck again at the logo screen)
    ​4) After clicking 'Advanced Options', click 'Advanced ....' (i forgot what exactly) and click 'STARTUP REPAIR'. This is the crucial part.Then follow whatever the system promts you.
    ​5) Afterwards, it will attempt to repair your system then lead you back to the logo screen for startup.
    ​6) Wait a few minutes and you should be able to get to your login screen as usual.

​Hope this helps. I chanced upon it by guessing which would actually help me.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    0 times
    I just want to chime in and say this just bit me too. New unit, fresh out of the box, setup fine. I ran one Windows Update, and on reboot I got the familiar 16-hour swirling dots. Forcing another reboot (I didn't intentionally hit the volume switch, but maybe did by accident), it went into "Preparing Automatic Repair." The dots swirled a few more times then froze. Don't have any more updates to share, other than adding my incident to "vote-up" this problem so more people will see it.

*Edited in hopes of subscribing to thread
    Last edited by mzieg; 11-27-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: subscribe

*Rescue Squad*
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    912 times
    Starting to think that something is amuck (or missing) in the Windows update itself that gets repaired (or file restored) through the repair process.

I guess I'll find out later today when my T100 shows up.
    OWNER OF ASUS 64GB T100TA w/128GB microSD, and now running Windows 10

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Windows
    Liked
    1 times
    same here, I tried every possible way to run repair tool but nothing worked properly (power button + volume up, holding F9 button while the pc was starting )... everything worked fine until windows update. I think that there should be recovery partition (around 8gb) on eMMC but I have no idea why the repair tool can't run
    a1trainer likes this.

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    I am so completely disheartened to see that my T100 is bricked (apparently). I turned it on and it said that it was applying changes. Then it shut down. That was it. I've tried to the Power+VolUp trick and that gets me to "Preparing Automatic Repair" but it just sits there. I have tried plugged in and unplugged. I have tried docked and undocked. I am at my wit's end because I am about to go to Las Vegas and was going to use this little bugger to give a presentation. Now, even if I exchange it, I don't know if I can trust it!

And just last night I was saying how much I love the thing. Damn karma ...

- KFD -

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    Hmm, are you guys applying all Windows updates? I only applied the critical updates, and no driver or optional updates, and my system is fine.

I don't like to get my driver updates from Microsoft. I generally follow the advice given here: Do I Really Need to Update My Drivers?

Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    Other - Android 4.X
    Liked
    0 times
    My system just did it on its own. I am assuming that it downloaded whatever was the default. I haven't had it long enough to do much of any settings changes.

- KFD -

Ratchet
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book T100TA
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDrafter View Post
    My system just did it on its own. I am assuming that it downloaded whatever was the default. I haven't had it long enough to do much of any settings changes.

- KFD -
    I see. I always disable automatic updates during initial setup and then customize it afterward to only notify me of updates (rather than automatically download & install), so that I can pick and select the ones I want, and avoid the ones I don't want.

There have been plenty documented cases of buggy updates that Microsoft later pulled. I would recommend disabling automatic updates for maximum system stability and to avoid being beta testers for Microsoft, as we've already seen what can happen with these new systems.

How to stop Windows 8 installing updates automatically - PC Advisor
    How To Change Windows Update Settings in Windows 8 & 8.1

DWV
    Soundwave
    Member #
    Tablet
    TF Book
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi All,

I also had the same problem. Could not go pass loading screen. Neither the recovery screen or the F9 screen passed loading.

I went into the bios (spam the F2 key when turning on the tablet)
    Went to "Boot" tab
    Changed "Boot Option #1" from "Windows Boot Manager" to "Disabled" -----> might change it back later if I find the culprit, but working fine with it disabled
    Saved and Exited

And there at last I could boot into windows. I got a blue screen though after I rebooted the second time, but at least I can now access the recovery tools, do factory reset and fix updates.

This is still awesome tablet for it's price. I love it.

hope this helps
    mzieg likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links